What do I need to become a DJ (not Don Juan)?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to become a DJ, starting out at parties and maybe within a couple of years, I want to go to DJ at clubs.

What do I need in order to be hired as a DJ to a party?

Not only in terms of equipment, but also what kind of mixer (how many channels, lines, etc...) and other characteristiques. I want to use CDs, not discs.

I want to spend as little as possible, since I don't have much money at the moment... As I progress, I'll buy better equipments, but what do I need to start?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A reply would be really appreciated

Thanks

Cheatz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well before you start thinking about hitting it up at clubs or parties you must do something that we've all heard countless times before, yep you guessed it, practise!

I got my equipment a couple months ago and i don't think i'm at a level to perform at clubs, maybe house parties BUT only with serato. If you don't know what serato is, basically you play mp3s from your laptop which goes into these "timecoded" vinyls and you're playing these mp3s as if they were actually vinyl. It also shows you on the screen how the beats are matched up and such, and it's fairly easy to beatmatch with the program, however without looking at the screen is still tricky for me because the beats go out of synch later on the track and you always have to adjust and tweak so the beats are in harmony and aren't out of order.

For equipment i suggest go for technics 1200's, it may not be the cheapest option but trust me, if you're in this for the long run get yourself the best. They are tanks and can outlast what any other brand can do. Mixer will depend on what genre you're going to play. I got a stanton smx-501 which is a hybrid club/scratch mixer for house,trance etc. and then turntabilism,hip hop etc. Any 2 channel mixer will do fine for you now but just take that into consideration before purchasing your mixer.

Anyway i'm in a hurry but i'll leave you with a good website to check out.

http://www.nem0nic.com/index.php?op...48&PHPSESSID=066772310444bda294aa79bcdb9e944e

Good luck on your quest ;)

Kazzanova

Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah serato is a great program jus practice lots i jus started out too but i have made alot of connections already with club and radio djs here in vancouver so i pretty much have an oppenin at a club when im ready..