Weight gain question

kaleidoscope

Reaction score
I'm hoping to put on about 40 lb of lean muscle mass. I'm looking to do this over two years, so i would have to gain about 20 lb a year, for two years.

Is this too much? is this too ambitious? Should i extend my time frame, or lower how much weight i plan to gain?

I don't have too much experience with weight gain so i was hoping to get input from someone who does.

thanks

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you plan on cutting some of your fat weight? 195 pounds is too much for someone who is 5'8"

170-180pounds will be your most attractive weight.

Good luck.

kaleidoscope

Reaction score
Sir Psycho Sexy said:
Do you plan on cutting some of your fat weight? 195 pounds is too much for someone who is 5'8"

170-180pounds will be your most attractive weight.

Good luck.

thanks, yeah i didn't want to add too much bulk, so i was thinking about adding 40 lbs of muscle while burning 15 lbs of fat. that would put me at 180 lbs with 6% bodyfat.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and went from 154 up to 186 (as at last measure) in about 6 months.

It can be done.

I do high intensity / low volume workouts only training each muscle group once a week.

I also eat 7 meals a day.

Nutrition is a 24 hour job, and is at least as important as your workouts! Never neglect nutrition.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20 lbs a year of exclusively lean mass is a daydream. What I'm saying is you cannot expect to gain only lean mass when adding weight. You're going to smooth out a little, but your BF% is a bit high already so it might not be as dramatic as if you were 10% or below.

Gaining that much WEIGHT, however, can definitely be done. And it can be mostly muscle, so long as you are training hard and heavy and eating often. Keep in mind that the first 20-30 lbs for most lifters usually comes fairly easily, but after that depending on your genetics and body type, things can level off a bit.

hero_hont

Banned
Reaction score
Hello guys.
) More calories does not mean unhealthy.

2) Healthy food has calories too. If you over eat them you will gain weight.

You always hear ppl say "I started to work out and eat healthy. Why am I not losing weight?".

The reason is the same why you are gaining weight from your GF's cooking. You are eating too much. Or at least, eating more that what your body burns daily.

Healthy food doesn't magically make you thinner, nor does unhealthy food make you fatter. If calorie in vs calorie out. And you are at the wrong end of that equation :p

If she is a pro chef, ask her about how much you should eat, and let her teach you about portion control. Like using your hand or plate to know how much you are suppose to eat at each meal so you don't gain any weight.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kaleidoscope said:
thanks, yeah i didn't want to add too much bulk, so i was thinking about adding 40 lbs of muscle while burning 15 lbs of fat. that would put me at 180 lbs with 6% bodyfat.
Few tips:

1. The more muscle you have, the easier it is to burn fat. If you're fairly thin now, don't worry about the fat. It WILL come off.

2. A clean diet helps. That means: 1. No junk food. 2. As little processed food as possible. 3. Simpler foods, high in fiber. Brown rice, whole wheat/grain bread, oats and oatmeal... etc. What these foods have in common is that they're processed very little.

For example: To process whole wheat flour: 1. Grind grains. 2. Put in bag.
To process white flour: 1. Grind grains. 2. Mechanichally separate parts of the grains leaving only white starchy part. 3. Separate and filter again. 4. Bleach the white starch, add preservatives in some cases. 5. Put in bag.

Then it gets even more complicated while making the bread. The best food for your body is produced as simple as possible. As few ingredients and processing as you can find it. We can help with recipes if you want. There's alot of healthy food that tastes good, it's the recipe and spices that make the difference between bland and awesome.

40lbs in 2 years is very doable. But it depends on you. If you have the willpower and you're willing to do the homework and plan this out a little bit then you will succeed. Do what's necessary and you will succeed.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
runner83 said:
I do high intensity / low volume workouts only training each muscle group once a week.
I do low intensity on cardio days and medium intensity/medium volume on workout days. Works for me.

Everyone's different.

I also eat 7 meals a day.
I eat 3 meals a day (sometimes 4). My digestion is slow, and the meals are high in fibre. I'm never hungry and my body is always processing what I eat because it's so slow. Also, I eat protein with every meal. Either meats, or meat alternatives.

Whatever works for you. More meals are better IF your body can digest that fast. If it can't then adjust as needed. I tried the 6 meals a day diet and all it gave me was indigestion and gas. Now, I only eat when I'm hungry. My bodyfat has gone down, muscle up, energy levels up... but I also changed WHAT I ate as well.

Nutrition is a 24 hour job, and is at least as important as your workouts! Never neglect nutrition.
Pretty much. It's a 50/50 split. Can't have a good body without both. You cannot compensate in the kitchen for lousy workouts, or good workouts while eating sh*tty food everyday.

Alyssatom

Reaction score
Well I think that weight gain is might be easy than weight loss, If you really wanted to gain weight then you should try to eat more calories, eat more in a day, I think that you should eat five times in a day, Drink plenty of fluids that supply calories like juice, milk, milkshakes, and sports beverages.