We need an equivalent of The Free Speech Union In The US, perhaps other nations

Vanderdonck

Don Juan
Reaction score
By promoting the aforementioned Free Speech culture (Namely: Promoting curiosity, dissent, devil’s advocacy, thought experimentation, talking across lines of difference, agreeing to disagree, etc etc. And vociferously denounce censorship and the unforgivably asinine excuses it's practicioners invoke for resorting to it)on a social level, in our day to day lives

The ACLU has degenerated into self-parody, and FIRE'S approach still remains primarily legalistic. We can't rely on them to champion the cause of free expression in our day to day lives. We need a US equivalent of The Free Speech Union for that
I see. Well your point about the ACLU, I think, supports what I said before. Any organization is going to bloat and rot, however good its intentions.

I agree in spirit though. As with most things I think we should live and let live. Democracy is just another way to bend people to your will with the threat of violence. The U.S. has far too many statutes anyway.

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most other nations do not have free speech. The US, by far, gives the most rights in terms of free speech. It's the only country where free speech cannot be taken away by a congressional act
Brings us to the final paragraph of the article in The OP: The culture of free speech is currently on the ropes in here in America. The law isn't going to hold up, when the public's enthusiasm for free expression is less vital than Bob Newhart is right about now