Warning: If your not funny don't try

The Master Disaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sick of people saying if you practice humor you'll be better. No, you'll sound practiced and boring. Humor can't be taught or learned either you have it or you don't. If you do USE IT. If you don't DON'T. Don't fake it because they'll know your not funny and the only thing they'll remember about you is "He was trying to be funny, but he was annoying. There is a phrase: "It is better to have people think your an idiot than for you to open your mouth and have them lose all doubt." This is true with humor.

My suggestions if you are not funny.
Focus on your passions, Focus on what makes you tick. Girls dig that just as much as they dig humor. I mean the cool guy gets as many girls as the funny man. Just dress well and if you have something to say it better be good.

I'm sorry if i offended anyone, but i get tired of unfunny people who try to be funny. Than i see that you can "practice" being funny. NO! you can't. It is false hope.

Damian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I completely agree with you man. I'm tired of people trying to adapt different personalities when they can't be true to themselves. If you are being disingenuous, it will be telegraphed to any person you come across and will eventually destroy any social value you have. Develop your own strengths and stick to them. They will be your best assets in any interaction.

-Damian

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, too. When people without a natural sense of humour try to be funny, it doesn't work at all. I know someone like this, and all I can say is that it looks desperate and needy; I always find myself secretly pitying the fellow.

However, you do have to keep in mind that your sense of humour depends on your mood and your environment. If you're in a great mood, you're sense of humour improves. Likewise, if you're in a bad mood, you're sense of humour takes a hit.

Master Disaster, you said:
I mean the cool guy gets as many girls as the funny man.
It sounds like you are trying to say: 'if you are really funny use it, otherwise don't.' Don't those 'cool guys' have a sense of humour too? To tell the truth, I think it would be nearly impossible to woo a girl with no sense of humour at all.

Last edited:

Mycroft

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree in a way. I think humor is something all people or most maybe have, yet I think it depends on who you are with. For example with my closest friends they love my humor, but with other people they think I am faking it since they don't get it.

jlazz

Don Juan
Reaction score
HUMOR DEPENDS ON MOOD.

If you're feeling confident, you naturally become funny.

I've noticed that when I'm around my friends who I'm comfortable with and am feeling confident, I have everything laughing like no other and am the center of attention.

But when I'm in a new group of people, I'm more reserved.

You can learn to be funny...how?

Simple: Associate yourselves with funny people...the more you hangout with funny people the more you adapt the personality. Personalities are contagious. Ever find yourself acting just like your friend after you've hung out for a while? Well I have and the more I've been hanging around funny people, the more I've naturally become funny.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly^^^

i disagree wholeheartedly with the original poster...This is a stupid limiting belief... How are you supposed to get better if you dont try? The personmight not be funny when they first try, but they will be funnier the next day or week than orginally. I dont know what is more baffling, the fact that you thought this...or that other people agreed to it

originaldj

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Master Disaster. Humour is something you naturally have. It doesnt depend on confidence. The funniest person I ever knew probably slits his wrist at night. If you dont have humour and you try to be funny you are just making yourself awkard and annoying to be around.

raidou

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didnt feel like posting a new thread so here goes:

This hb 8 whom i've known for a while keeps askin me whether i like her or not, or she keeps tellin me that she's reached the conclusion that i don't like her. Anyone think this would be a good time for some C+F?

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by originaldj
I agree with Master Disaster. Humour is something you naturally have. It doesnt depend on confidence. The funniest person I ever knew probably slits his wrist at night. If you dont have humour and you try to be funny you are just making yourself awkard and annoying to be around.
I see where you are coming from. I have a question though. Do think that even a bad joke can break the ice? Someone who puts himself in front of people and doesnt get a laugh all the time is still admirable for his confidence in taking center stage. You can make yourself funnier... If you think that you cant, thats your limiting belief and I wont try and stop it, but when you preach it like it is the truth, someone should intervene. You are basically saying that once you are born, you have no control over your personality? Comedic timing is the EASIEST thing. I have been making people laugh since i was little, but im sure i could teach someone how to be funny, just look at life a little different, see patterns, comment on them.

I heard somewhere that comedians are magicians who allow us to see the world in a different light. I dunno where that fits in on the conversation but it seems smart so I threw it in there.

Suck a d!ck (no homo)

crossboss

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally disagree.

People have told me I am freakin' hilarious. I think it can be learned. You just have to think about it in a certain way.

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WARNING: IF YOURE AN IDIOT DONT GIVE ADVICE TO OTHER PEOPLE

there would be no wars if everyone was a comedian. good or bad.

take a hike.

originaldj

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dont hate me for telling it like it is. In my eyes having a sense of humour is a talent not a skill. Its something you are born with. I agree 100% with trying to improve or else I wouldnt have joined this site. However there are certain areas that you are born with or without and its hard or impossible to improve in. There isnt one person I knew 5 years ago who wasn't funny and through all his effort is funny now. I know people who tell "jokes" at least once a minute and have never made me laugh.

However despite all I have said I honestly hope that I'm wrong and those of you who are not particularly funny will somehow get a sense of humour

Dante3214

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's IMPOSSIBLE to be "born" with humor.

Literally.

Humor is nothing more than a tool of communication.

EVERYONE, can communicate. Even retards.

You can't possibly be born knowing how to be phunny!

It's a tool LEARNED from your ENVIRONMENT (physical and otherwise).

I fail to see the logic behind some of your reasonings.

originaldj

Don Juan
Reaction score
You also can't possibly be born knowing the guitar or being good at basketball but people are naturally good at it

Dante3214

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by originaldj
You also can't possibly be born knowing the guitar or being good at basketball but people are naturally good at it
People are "naturally" good at it because they have developed other skills that help them with their "talent. In the case of guitar, hand-eye coordination is EXTREMELY beneficial.

The Master Disaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, to clarify what i originally posted. I tried to scare people. I over exaggerated. I just get sick of dumb people saying dumb comments that they think are funny but no they aren't.

Humor i believe is an attention getter if you will. Funny people use it to grab attention. Unfunny people use it to grab attention but it isn't good attention. Unfunny people may make the funny comment once and awhile, but they need to resort to other means of getting attention which is the whole reason they should try to resort to athletics, good looks, knowledge. Everyone wasn't meant to be funny just remember that.

ethnomethodologist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Master Disaster
Everyone wasn't meant to be funny just remember that.
Nobody was meant to be funny. Nor sleep with girls. Nor be athletic. Not even eating...

Comedy is something you develop. You can be funny by slkipping on a banana peel. You can be a farking parapalegic in a wheelchair, and the only thing thats wrong with it would be those damn bananas.

Jokes almost automatically create new synaptic connections in your brain. After a while though if the same pattern is repeated over and over and over again, the pattern is recognized, and it is no longer new it becomes old and corny, it is so recognizable it is just plain boring. It becomes second nature to MAKE jokes if you continue to make them, but that is not NATURAL.

NATURAL is what your body tells you to do. Which is survive, period.

You can naturally develop something though, easily, by creating in your mind a method to create jokes. Some people will never come to the conclusion that jokes are even funny, so you NEXT those people, right? Others make jokes at the oddest things, and they actually become funny!!!

There are interesting things as well, becoming interesting is something you have to work at.

Becoming a hard worker is something you have to work at.

Waking early in the morning is something you have to work at.

Eating with manners is something you have to work at.

Learning words is something you have to work at.

Walking, talking, crawling, even babies have to LEARN how to do these things. There are regular periods of time that it takes a person to develop these traits They are not inborn.

The only thing you are really given at birth is a body, and a brain. Your brain tells your body what to do. Your body can only do so much though, it can only look so good, it can only live for so long...

PS... Thanks original(and tomato guy from a different thread) today, the pendulum starts swinging again:D