Want to get big without gym membership

Reaction score
Just as the title says...

Basically a month ago because of relationship and work issues I lost 10 pounds. I am 6'2 and was about 180 and I went down to 170 where I am now. I basically stay at this weight now no matter what I eat. Anyway, I would like to get big doing exercises at home. I have a few dumbells, but that's pretty much it. Hope my question isn't too amateurish for you all. Im specifically looking for exercise ideas, scheduling, and diet.

Thanks.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nearly impossible. Find a gym or build a home one

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe use improvised weights like a sand bag? Also watch craigslist and classifieds for weights and exercise equipment. They can usually be found cheaply - lots of people buy new stuff and never use it.

Chillisauce

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need much, buy a bench to do excercises on and a deadlift bar + weights then setup your own pullup rings (can link a guide to making your own very cheaply).

Using just those things my routine is pretty good.
Military Press, Pullups, deadlift, dumbell bench, squat, skullcrushers and bicep work if you need it.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Buy yourself a decent couple pair of dumbbells. A flat bench and some good running shoes for cardio.

Play it Again Sports has some great deals. Like Bible Belt said, people buy new sh!t they use once then put it under the bed and wait for the next miracle cure from Ronco: "Just set it and forget it!"

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
why can't you get a gym membership?

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also watch craigslist and classifieds for weights and exercise equipment. They can usually be found cheaply - lots of people buy new stuff and never use it.

He couldn't be more correct. That's exactly what my brother & me did.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
You're going to have to learn that getting big requires a lot of hard work, for there isnothing cheap or convenient about adding muscle. That is why so few people accomplish this task.

Get a freaking gym membership! If you can't afford one, offer to work at a gym for free. I'm sure the gym mgr. will be impressed by your wilingness to clean the machines for for free.

If you insist on working at home, you're going to have to have the space and money for a myriad of equipment, particularly a squat rack, bench, and barbells and a range of dumbbells. Why not just join a membership?

Also, you're going to have to eat big if you want to be big; can't believe no one's touched on this yet.
You beat me to it. Thats why i asked him why he couldn't get a membership and was going to basically type what you typed when he gave his reasoning.

To OP, if your really serious about adding mass, then buying a gym membership is the first step and like espi said, your going to have to eat, you said you would eat a lot but it obviously wasn't enough.

Reaction score
Because I can't afford one right now. Thanks to those of you who gave relevant advice to the question being asked.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go over to rosstraining.com, and buy the program Never Gymless. Should be a great start for you. It is quite cheap, something $20 I believe.

Then it is a matter of getting yourself some ghetto equipment like big old tyres and sandbags and ****.

Then you have to eat six meals a day getting two times your bw in protein spaced out in those meals. Voila.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like Effort and Espi said though, eventually you will want to get too the gym.

If you have never really worked out I am confident you can add some size with the above. If nothing else the kind of training on rosstraining.com will prep you for when you can hit the gym and you will have a massive headstart once you can finally afford it. It will definitely give you strength gains.

I'd go over to the forum on rosstraining.com and ask the guys there about adding mass whilst using ghetto equipment like sandbags etc. They will be able to go into more detail as to what you should do.

Quagmire

king0fhearts59

Don Juan
Reaction score
theres not much a problem with doing what you want, best overall mass builder is the deadlift so if you can somehow get a way to deadlift all you gotta do is that, squat, and pushups with gradually added weight. invest in a product called power blocks (settable dbs that go up to 60-80 lbs.)

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm working out all at home now too. I had a herniated disc and a bruised rotator cuff for awhile, so that put me out of the gym. I eventually want to go back, but here's a little of what I do:

Chest: Push-ups and all it's variations. One arm, legs elevated on a couch, anything I can do.
Legs: I run, sprint (when it's not freezing cold, then I do high rep body weight squats. Around 50 or so a set). I like to do jump-squats and various other jumps and things I used to do for football. Like I said, it's tough in the winter.
Shoulders: Side and front raises with anything heavy I can find. Usually high rep with rubber bands (from Hibbetts or the like) if I can't find anything else.
Abs: You can do ab exercises anywhere.

Don't really do anything for upper arms right now. I build a lot of sh1t outside, so my forearms get plenty of work. I'm planning on buying a chinup/dip bar soon, to work my back, bis and tris as well as some ab stuff. Keep in mind that none of this stuff I do is overly heavy, so I'm not necessarily going to add huge amounts of muscle. You CAN however, keep lean muscle and build a nice physique if you eat right with plenty of protein. I've lost 10 lbs. since Christmas doing this sort of thing, and my chest and shoulders are definitely visible, however, I used to heavily work out and play football, so it isn't as if I'm starting from scratch.

I'm eventually going to get back in the gym as soon as my injuries heal.

Killer Six Pac

Don Juan
Reaction score
I only go to the gym every couple of months, the rest of the time it's at home. All you need is an adjustable dumb bell set and an adjustable long bar. I prefer working out at home because I pump the music up full blast but when I do go to the gym I go hard and use everything.