Vasectomy - Wise decision ?

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
pLaYtHiNg said:

Now, I'm not really educated on this subject, but I think you should know... my mom became pregnant with my sister a few months after my dad's vasectomy... and no, she didn't cheat. Just goes to show nothing is really ever fool-proof.

There is a very small chance that the procedure will not be successful. However, they say there is enough sperm left in the vas deferens to be fertile for the next 20 or so ejaculations. (Now you know how much your parents had sex)

Are vasectomies reversible?
Yes, but it costs about 15 grand and has a 50% success rate. So why not just freeze it? I can keep it frozen for a decade for a third of that price and have a much higher chance of fertilization.

tx_xp

Don Juan
Reaction score
I debted for several years about getting divorced and everything that goes along with it. I have two children and knew I was not going to have more. I decided to do it and did it in the same week I hired a lawyer to get divorced. One of the best dicisions I have ever made.

SXS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TX, why did you get a divorce ? Dissatisfaction with wife in general or the marriage life itself ? Do you regret being married ?

tx_xp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I should have never gotten married kind of a huge mistake. She offered to get married one day when I was in the field in the Army, I was under a lot of stress and just agreed to it at the time to shut her up kind of. It happened fast! I regreted it right away and was never happy in marriage at least not with her. I was married for 12 years. For about the last 4 or so years she knew I did not want to be married to her, I think she knew longer ..Then that it was on and off.

I do not regret being married at this point. I regretted it when it happened but at this point I am happy to have had the experiences and the wonderful daughters I have.

Why do you ask?

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For all you vascetomized guys out there, how is the post-op care? I have yet to do research, but I hear you must wear a jock strap for one week with bags of ice; you can't masturbate for several weeks; no sex for six weeks; your "area" down there will look absolutely horrendous and be extremely sensitive; you will walk like there's a stick up your ass and walk very slowly. Though temporary, it sounds awfully gruesome.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my enthusiasm has suddenly been curbed.

tx_xp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Post op care

Deep Dish said:
For all you vascetomized guys out there, how is the post-op care? I have yet to do research, but I hear you must wear a jock strap for one week with bags of ice; you can't masturbate for several weeks; no sex for six weeks; your "area" down there will look absolutely horrendous and be extremely sensitive; you will walk like there's a stick up your ass and walk very slowly. Though temporary, it sounds awfully gruesome.

Do some research from places that give good information. Sure they may be cases that are worse than many but I can only share my experience.

I scheduled a few days off of work for post op. I kept ice on the area my feet up and watched TV. There was some discomfort at first this got better with time. Also for a while after I did have some shooting pain, I was concerned with would never go away and researched it worrying that I may be one of those rare cases that has pain forever. I was not it did go away.

You can generally have sex again when you are ready but you should not rely on the vasc yet as birth control.

The 6 week thing that sounds to me like the time frame someone thought it might take to get to a zero sperm count. The truth is once you heal and feel ready for sex, you want to have as much as possible or at least "get off" as much as possible. As you do your sperm count gets closer to 0.

SXS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I should have never gotten married kind of a huge mistake. She offered to get married one day when I was in the field in the Army, I was under a lot of stress and just agreed to it at the time to shut her up kind of. It happened fast! I regreted it right away and was never happy in marriage at least not with her. I was married for 12 years. For about the last 4 or so years she knew I did not want to be married to her, I think she knew longer ..Then that it was on and off.
I do not regret being married at this point. I regretted it when it happened but at this point I am happy to have had the experiences and the wonderful daughters I have.
Why do you ask?
Well, you knwo, intelectually speaking, I am against marriage. But the idea of marriage is so stuck in my head(probably because of how I was raised) that I fear that I will end up doing it one way or the other.
Also, I dont like my life is going. If I continue on this pace, by the time I am 50 I will have slept with over 300 women. This is not exactly what I want to take from this existence.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've also been thinking about this. And im a similar age to you.

Quite a few of my friends have accidentally knocked girls up. I do not want to be lumbered with child support for a kid I had with a woman i just viewed as a sex object and had nothing in common with.

Even best case scenario you have a kid with a girl in a relationship and get married....then you have the expense of buying a bigger house, the $200,000 it costs to raise each kid etc. And then if you break up or get divorced she gets the kid and you have to pay all the support.

Personally I do not fancy working all my life to support an ungrateful kid. I would much rather work part-time once Im established in life so I have time to pursue other interests, travel etc.

But Im really scared about the stories about post-vasectomy pain that doesn't go away, and other potential complications.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or necro-bump.

So, bump.

You guys are insane to not have this done.

It costs about $600. It's covered by most medical plans. The current procedure is 95% reversible. It is absolutely bombproof in a court of law. Your sexdrive goes up, as does your test level. Plus, you can relax about ever knocking a girl up. Ever.

I had this done five years ago, when my late wife first got sick. It would have been bad for her to get pregnant, and my feeling that I didn't want to raise a kid alone quickly became the feeling that I didn't want a kid, ever. This was a no-brainer.

It has come a long way since then and even back then it wasn't bad. For a couple of days it felt like I'd taken a baseball in the nuts about an hour earlier. I was having sex three days later and shooting blanks when I went back in a couple of weeks.

Guys screw this up by not going in for their 6-month and 1-year followup. It can grow back in that time; I've read that the failure rate is about 1 in 4,000 and my understanding is that even when that happens, there's so much scar tissue at the juncture (the cauterized ends have to find each other and then re-attach) that your sperm count is effectively low enough that the odds of conception are practically zero. It might have happened to your father or someone your father knows, but it's a totally new procedure, now.

If you're still good after a year, there is zero -- zero -- chance of ever conceiving unless you have a surgical reversal done. And if you ever get paranoid, there's now an OTC test available.

In case you're reading this and you're 12 years old or a drooling moron: they do not cut your nuts off. They make a tiny incision. Sex feels exactly the same. Your semen looks the same.

And if you're a grown man, you get to keep your house and laugh in the face of the woman who decides that since you have more money than the other guys she's banging, the kid she's carrying must be yours. Don't laugh; I know a guy. And I'm sure it will eventually happen to me.

You still need to use a condom to protect against STD's. (I can't believe I had to type that sentence but some people are morons.) But with a vasectomy the chances of an accidental pregnancy -- or a vengeful psycho -- destroying your life are zero.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm getting closer and closer to getting one. At 32, I really don't have any compelling desire to have kids, and the thought of having an accidental child is freaking terrifying. My gf doesn't want kids either and I wouldn't ask her to get a procedure done unless we were married. Plus female sterilization procedures have higher complication rates, costs, etc. Women's bodies are just finicky in general. They have so many chronic non-lethal health issues and any procedure you do them seems to cause some secondary problem.

Vasectomies seem like a win-win for men.

Groverz

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to get one myself, but everytime I talk to the Dr. I get the same thing, o think about it, you're still young. Been thinking about it for years, I am 32. My mind has not changed. I think i am going to call them tomorrow and push the subject a bit.

Epimanes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got the snip at 25. Had 2 kids at that point already so I was done. 1 boy 1 girl. Don't regret it at all. The anticipation is far far worse than the procedure. My wife loves not having me wear a condom and since its far less complicated getting the V was an easy choice. This way if my wife ever gets preggo she would have some serious explaining to do.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
Social_Leper said:
Until you decide 5 years later you actually want kids...oops!
Which word in the current procedure is 95% reversible didn't you understand?

PeakIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think all men at 18 should get the clip then they won't get caught out by all these women saying i'm pregnant and your stuffed and broke for the next 18 yrs.
That way the power is taken back to the man and only when he decides he wants to have kids at a later date he can have a reversal.
There's no saying he will get it right when he finally chooses the right women as she might be the wrong women but at least power is now in his hands.
oh how the world would change if all men did this.