Using music/guitar to attract girls?

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone here rely on playing a musical instrument, speficially guitar (seems like the typical one), to impress chicks? Exactly how do you use it to your advantage? And generally what type of music to girls tend to go for?

This summer I got an electric guitar and an amp; never played guitar before, not taking any lessons, not even practicing it that seriously, but I took years and years of violin and piano lessons so picking it up has been quite easy. I've impressed some people, and one person asked how many years I've been playing (lol), although he's never touched an instrument in his life so what would he know.

So anyways, I can't really think of any other "hobbies" or "interests" or "activities" I have going for me right now besides playing guitar (I'm working on that though; just coming out of a bad time in my life), so I really want to try to take advantage of this. But I'm not used to using my musical abilities to 'show off' to people, let alone girls in this way. Any advice/suggestions?

And before anyone says it (because I've heard it before), no, joining a band at this point is not an option.

St_Joey

Don Juan
Reaction score
I play the saxophone professionally. I toured the college circuit across the country for four years, toured with some major acts at the stadium / arena level, and still do it on weekends with a band that packs rooms and plays local festivals.

I can't post a pic, yet and a link would give away my anonymity, which I don't want to do on these boards for obvious reasons. You can PM me for a link to my bio page and some pics if you think I'm talking $#!+.

It works like a charm for getting the HB's home RIGHT THEN, in the heat of the moment. Give them even a day to think about it, though, and without that axe in your hand and their blood boiling for you, you're just another schmo. The next day, they won't be in that same frame of mind. I also think it's a buzzkill once they start dating you, and they find out that you ARE just another guy. You can outshine yourself up there.

I have had a lot of girls -- literally, hundreds -- who've given me their number, flake out / stand me up / never call back. I've been stood up for first dates A LOT. I'd say 95% of the numbers I've ever gotten have been dead-ends. Maybe 99%.

So here's the rules:

1.) Get good -- no one cares if you're a "musician" -- there are thousands of schmucks schlepping guitars in your town. Shine.

2.) Get onstage -- even if it's just at a party and you're standing on the couch.

3.) Get 'em riled up -- be the alpha male.

4.) Get some NOW -- strike while they're hot. It will work. My most fruitful line after stepping offstage: "I need to take a shower. You coming?"

KillingTime

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Make sure you play b/c you enjoy it, not to get girls. (Because what could be more AFC??)

You have to enjoy it, if you are passionate about something it will show and that is what attracts women. Guitarists can attract them, but so can weightlifters, football players, drag racers.... you name it. It's the passion, not what you do.

Kidd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Please man, do not play guitar for the chicks, do it for the music itself. Ive been playing for about a year and a half, but most people think its 5+ years when they hear me first time. I can play any style of music, from classical to jazz to metal. The reason being for this is because I practice so damn much (2-3 hours a day). And yes, it definetely turns me into the center of attention.

If you want to get good at ANYTHING, you gotta practice.

Also, do not get hobbies to impress chicks. If you dont like doing something, simply dont do it.

Gonzalo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with the guy's saying don't play to impress girls. I've been playing all my life and I do notice, however, that it helps with the ladies. But cointidentially the times where I've noticed it helped the most was when in large gatherings someone passed me the guitar and I just had fun with it. Girls are good at sensing if you're just putting on a show for them (-->bad). You'll know you're doing good when you can play and forget about everyone else in the room.

MrBond_Age

Don Juan
Reaction score
I play ocarina(ya I know) and did it because I enjoyed the sound (and enjoyed the game hehe). A chick heard me playing and I attracted her without even knowing it. It still works when I bring a girl home.

prototype

Don Juan
Reaction score
music is a tool many AFC's do not realise to be a simple weapon of immense power.

blitzin'

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for over ten years. I've made a cd, and played in several bands. I don't do it for the women, but for my own pleasure. Here is what I've found about women and music. Most think it's really cool if you're in a band, but a great number of girls don't appreciate the actual music. I can play some really complex song and if a girl has never heard it on the radio or it's something I wrote on my own they don't really get all that impressed. On the other hand I can play the easiest most commonly played music out there and they get all excited. It's annoying. Skill, basically has nothing to do with a girls interest in your ability, it's the songs you know that they know that makes them think you're a good player. This isn't however always the case, sometimes you'll find a girl who appreciates the music itself, but I've found it isn't as common.

Life-Trainee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
/\/\

That's what I found out. Unless the song is easily recongnizable or "in a style of" you're not gonna attract much attention with guitar. I gave up trying to impress anyone with my playing, now I just do it for myself. The genre of music I play is not interesting to girls anyways.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by prototype
never said you did.
Wasn't really talking to you specifically.

Originally posted by Life-Trainee
/\/\

That's what I found out. Unless the song is easily recongnizable or "in a style of" you're not gonna attract much attention with guitar. I gave up trying to impress anyone with my playing, now I just do it for myself. The genre of music I play is not interesting to girls anyways.
What genre do you play?

Life-Trainee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play (at least try to) speedy 80's metal. I heard it's hot with Japanese girls, hmm maybe i should move to Japan.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm. Not really into that kind of music, nor do I have a great interest in being able to play it, but I'll be damned if I don't appreciate the technical abilities it takes to play it.

Maybe girls go more for mellow music?

blitzin'

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I've also heard japanese girls go for that kinda' music. Actually I've found that alot of American culture from the 80's is cool in Japan. I play on my guitars a lot of Tool, Type-o-Negative, STP, and Metalica. I know almost every song by each of these bands, and many more by others, yet I am always asked to play easy sh1t like Green Day and Incubus (which there's nothing wrong with, I like some of those bands stuff) but they are the easiest simplest songs out there. Girls don't care how good you are, they just want to hear the stuff they know and like.

pootwo

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could learn Beatles songs. Who doesn't know / love the Beatles? Plus it's SOOO easy to play. most just use the most basic open chords.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I suppose you could, but it shouldn't be the main reason she becomes interested in you. It should be icing on the cake. You need to DJ her properly, then bust it out and seal the deal :)

I only play because I want to become an awesome guitarist, but it does have it's good side effects.

blitzin'

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShizamDaMan
I suppose you could, but it shouldn't be the main reason she becomes interested in you. It should be icing on the cake. You need to DJ her properly, then bust it out and seal the deal :)

I only play because I want to become an awesome guitarist, but it does have it's good side effects.
Agree..:D

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If she's into you, and you are good, it will enhance her attraction. Women love music, art, poetry, etc. etc. With that being said, you must do it because you like doing it. If you are doing it to impress girls, they will pick up on it. If you do it in a very nonchalant way, and you're pretty good, she will get into it.

Popular music is good, but if you have your own original songs, that will score more point for you. Playing guitar, singing, or any other instrument should only be brought out once she's at your place and you have interacted. If she's at your place, she's there because she's into you, and using your talents will only increase her attraction. Just let the instrument be visible and she will bring it up. Let her "earn it" before you give in. Hehe. Don't go out of your way and make her listen to you, as this will come across as needy.

If she insists on having you play/sing to her, you need to suggest she do something in return, or to preceede it. "I might play for you, but what will you do for me?" Let her earn it and prove herself. Women love that type of interaction. Let her come up with a list of things she's gonna do for you, and have your pick. Haha. I've done this many times. Be a challenge at all times. They'll eat this stuff, every single time; but only if she's into you because you've followed all the previous steps.

alphamale1

Don Juan
Reaction score
go busking with the guitar, if ur good and ur good looking then woman will drop their numbers in ur guitar case
Thats what happened to my older brother

Ben