Universal Dress Code

Old Spice

Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in the fashion industry, and from being surrounded by 99 percent women every day i can bring an interesting perspective to this board as i spend a lot of time listening to what they say.

Let me first say, I am aware everyone has their own personal taste and style, and that certain women are attracted to different styles. This thread is not about what style you should automatically have, this is just a guide of what sort of clothing and style the MAJORITY of women will find attractive.

The most important thing to remember is never cultivate a style that makes you uncomfortable

No matter what I or anyone else says, you can never dress in a way that makes you uncomfortable. Now that is not an excuse to wear gym clothes every day, but if a certain way of dressing just does not make you feel right, do NOT do it. Your discomfort will show.

In general, women look for these things first when they evaluate your appearance

Cleanliness
Wrinkle free
Proper fit
Cost of clothing (status brands)
Coordination

Your clothes should always be free of wrinkles and stains. No excuses. More important than the cost or quality of the clothes is the upkeep and fit. Proper laundering to ensure no shrinkage or general warping of cotton shirts is very important.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, cost of clothing is important in womens eyes. THIS DOES NOT MEAN SPEND YOUR MONEY ON EXPENSIVE CLOTHING. If you can afford Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, Gucci, etc. by all means buy them they are great quality and can only help boost your image.

BUT, you can get away with wearing cheap clothing too, so long as its MAINTAINED. This means it fits, its clean, and matches what you are wearing.

This is the minimum of what your wardrobe should consist of:

5 polos
3 nice tshirts
3 pairs of nice jeans (not levis from walmart)
1 nice watch and accesory (ring, necklace)
1 pair of clean athletic shoes that are a neutral color such as white or black, and that you DO NOT work out in
2 nice pairs of dress shoes, 1 more casual, one more dressy.
1 nice track suit
2 different colognes
2 dress shirts

Remember, this is a BASIC guide as to what will appeal to the majority of women. If you are having problems deciding on a new look, you can not go wrong with this guide.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That wardrobe list just made me feel like a woman :crackup:

You can multiply all of those numbers by at least 3 to get my wardrobe... yikes...

Nice write-up. I wish I had more money available for high quality brands. But I make sure to always coordinate and try my best to make sure everything has the correct fit. That is actually where my recent problem is. Over the last few months I have been religiously going to the gym. I've lost a little weight, but moreso I'm bulking up in the arms/shoulders/back area and shirts are fitting me differently. I've found myself going shopping nearly every week now, because the number of clothes that fit me properly keeps dropping. I'm just worried this is going to be a constant cycle. Oh well... gotta stay fresh to death!

Old Spice

Don Juan
Reaction score
PDubb75 said:
That wardrobe list just made me feel like a woman :crackup:

You can multiply all of those numbers by at least 3 to get my wardrobe... yikes...

Nice write-up. I wish I had more money available for high quality brands. But I make sure to always coordinate and try my best to make sure everything has the correct fit. That is actually where my recent problem is. Over the last few months I have been religiously going to the gym. I've lost a little weight, but moreso I'm bulking up in the arms/shoulders/back area and shirts are fitting me differently. I've found myself going shopping nearly every week now, because the number of clothes that fit me properly keeps dropping. I'm just worried this is going to be a constant cycle. Oh well... gotta stay fresh to death!
Oh dont feel bad! I said that was a MINIMUM list. the more you have, the better!

Reaction score
As far as the "status" brands go, a good way to pull this off is to get shoes/accessories (watches, belts, shades, etc) in name brands. That way, no matter what clothes you have on, you always have something of high status to anchor your look. It's also more acceptable to wear shoes/accessories more often.

If you're wearing the same pair of $300 True Religion jeans every day, or the same Gucci polo 2X/week, people will obviously notice.

loveshogun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Old Spice said:

5 polos
3 nice tshirts
1 pair of clean athletic shoes that are a neutral color such as white or black, and that you DO NOT work out in
1 nice track suit
2 different colognes
2 dress shirts
So... I agree with a lot of this post. But some of these "basic" dress items might not fly as well in certain locales.

I live in a large East Coast city, and there's nothing wrong with polos, but it's just a very college-y thing to wear. In fact, most of the women who bang me, if not all of them, enjoy the fact that I never wear anything remotely college-y. I'll concede, though, that younger girls (in college) may be more comfortable around that kind of look. Then again, I always found that making a girl wonder about why you're nicer looking than everyone else in the room is a GREAT starting point.

And the track suit thing... I have one that I use for actual working out. I'm assuming that's what you prescribe as its use. But, if you ever went out in that in the city that I'm from... well... yeah. Check this website out:

http://arthurkade.com/

Otherwise, a very good basic guide on style. I suggest specifying situations, because most people already have the clothes.

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Old Spice said:
The most important thing to remember is never cultivate a style that makes you uncomfortable
W-Wait! I thought we all needed to wear awkward fuzzy hats and shit!! :eek:

;)

loveshogun said:
I always found that making a girl wonder about why you're nicer looking than everyone else in the room is a GREAT starting point.
Yep. This is the way to go.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funny because deep down I always thought women love the "sagging pants to your kness w/ no belt look"

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ProDJ26 said:
Funny because deep down I always thought women love the "sagging pants to your kness w/ no belt look"
Well, it has been scientifically proven that baggy, saggy pants inhibit the acquisition of recreational imbibing beverages so I don't see why females would be attracted to that.

http://bit.ly/iWw7me

;)

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fela Kuti said:
This thread (and also the forum) is a GREAT source of inspiration: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=164384
so fvcking gay. maybe cause I live in the south (USA), but most of those dudes would get called fags around here. The guys I know who are swimmin in poon may be found in a polo or a wife beater or some regular everyday shyt. Around here its more about who you are than what you wear. Try hard gets nada.

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
so fvcking gay. maybe cause I live in the south (USA), but most of those dudes would get called fags around here. The guys I know who are swimmin in poon may be found in a polo or a wife beater or some regular everyday shyt. Around here its more about who you are than what you wear. Try hard gets nada.
I agree.

Fela Kuti

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
wow, lol. I guess metrosexual kind of thing isn't too popular here. but I'm sure some types of ladies dig that kind of men fashion. I agree about the bolded part but in my opinion, what you wear helps shaping who you are. Especially the confidence it brings.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Old Spice said:

5 polos

i don't have ANY polos.

3 nice tshirts

I have about 4 ben sherman shirts. ( got them well cheap at a place near my place. funny thing is. no one knows quality when they see it here. or they can't afford it. so they was going out at like 50% off.)

I have so nice jeans i pick up in england. but my style changed. when i was a kid i used to where beige shorts. now i just where jeans everywhere lol. even in the plus 30 heat

I have to date: 1. 1k watch ( got it up for 640$ hehe going to pick it up soon) 2 rings i got as presents, 1 bracelet and no necklace with dice and shoe horn ( I'm a gambler. so it reflects my style)

I have one pair of white dc's one pair of black dress shoes. they look good. little warn tho.

read above

1 nice track suit

I don't really need one. for as i never go to the gym. I just go walking the dogs in my normal clothes lol

2 different colognes

I have so many colognes i could open a shop. mostly got them all as presents [b/]

2 dress shirts

i have about 8 total dress shirts. but i have about 10 normal shirts. 4 with Sonic the hedgehog on them(my fav game growing up) 2 with pack man, one galaga ,one with a faded atari on it it's black. i think i need more black shirts makes me look good). and one with wares wally on it. lol.

there you go. thought i should show you my style. probably not them best but i do get opened by a lot of girls commenting on how cool my shirts are so it dose work. shame most of them are ugly or have bfs

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fela Kuti said:
wow, lol. I guess metrosexual kind of thing isn't too popular here. but I'm sure some types of ladies dig that kind of men fashion. I agree about the bolded part but in my opinion, what you wear helps shaping who you are. Especially the confidence it brings.
I'm big into fashion, have been told I have very good style, and have even been told my style is somewhat "metrosexual". But that link you gave made me cringe. I can't even pinpoint exactly what it was, aside from.... well, everything.

Maybe it's the fact that guys come to that site simply to show their clothes? And/or that other guys sit around the computer commenting on other guys' clothes? I don't know, but no thank you! I base my style on what I like. I go to stores and find clothes that I feel would look good on me (as well as women that would look good on me :yes: ). I could care less what some other guy is wearing, especially on a online fashion forum.

Which, is completely different than this post here, btw. But, if that forum is your thing, have fun.

Gray The Prince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
Where in the South do you live, Mississippi or Alabama? Lol cause in Texas, the metro look can really work.

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gray The Prince said:
There's a lot I could say about you...but in the end, you're just trolling.
Whatever dude.

Energy25

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's pretty gay for a guy to worry so much about what he's wearing...

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I make sure to dress nice. I never wear athletic shoes unless I am playing sports. I also never wear a track suit. I didn't think people still wore that unless they were working out.

I always wear Ralph Lauren and Hollister. If I wear Ralph Lauren I'm going for the preppy look. When I wear Hollister I go for the beach look. I never wear hats because I want people to see the waves I have in my hair.

I get complicates all the time about how I dress but this is my swag. It might not work for you. Everyone has their own swagger. Just because it works for one doesn't mean it will work for the other.

kentgraham10

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok guys one area that hasn't been addressed in shorts. I am totally 100% clueless on this. Almost none of my friends wear shorts and if they do, its plaid (BLARGFH), jean shorts (ok even I know that won't cut it), or just stick with jeans like I do. What do you guys recommend?