Ultimate beginner questions..

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
I checked the stickies, sorry if I missed these questions.

1. I don't know how to do use any equipment properly. I don't want to do something stupid and injure myself. There is a one hour compulsory session if I join my unis gym, should I assume that this will cover everything?

2. This might just be my tendency to doubt things a lot... but I am suspicious of a lot of the diet advice I see on the net. Things like supplements, macro nutrient ratios completely different from the RDI, ect. I just don't want damage my health, although I am sure my current 'normal' diet is full of heaps of nasty preservatives and stuff. Am I just paranoid?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*RHCP* said:
1. I don't know how to do use any equipment properly. I don't want to do something stupid and injure myself. There is a one hour compulsory session if I join my unis gym, should I assume that this will cover everything?
they can't even begin to cover all that is necessary, even if it's a good orientation (no way to know that). you need another plan--a more experienced partner or mentor of some kind.

2. This might just be my tendency to doubt things a lot... but I am suspicious of a lot of the diet advice I see on the net. Things like supplements, macro nutrient ratios completely different from the RDI, ect. I just don't want damage my health, although I am sure my current 'normal' diet is full of heaps of nasty preservatives and stuff. Am I just paranoid?
you're on the right track. posting to the internet is free (and lots of people are looking to make a buck) so it's hard to know what to trust.

if you're starting out, steer clear of supps, move slowly toward eating more protein and more vegetables than you've been getting, and keep track of what you're doing. you're going to eat differently from the RDI b/c it grew out of studies during World War II of bare minimum intakes for survival of adult males.

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Throttle.

Apparently in the orientation the trainer will design a program for you. Will I not learn enough to just get started?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, most trainers have no idea what they're doing and will probably just run you thru a circuit of machines which is a complete waste of time. Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*RHCP* said:
I just don't want damage my health, although I am sure my current 'normal' diet is full of heaps of nasty preservatives and stuff. Am I just paranoid?
The RDI and macronutrients will damage your health. :crackup:

RDI: Reference Daily Intake. The daily dietary intake level of a nutrient considered sufficient to meet the requirements of nearly all (97-98%) healthy individuals in each life-stage and gender group.

Macronutrient: General term for those nutrients required by the body in relatively large amounts to produce energy, such as protein, fat and carbohydrate.

Do some reading. If you want to get muscular, then you will need the proper knowledge. It's as much nutrition as it is exercise. You're too much a beginner for us to give you proper advice because you won't understand what we're talking about.

Pick up one of those all-in-one bodybuilding reference books to start. We can talk shop after you do that.

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't say that RDI or macronutriets would damage my health, if thats what you meant. I will read a book on this stuff, but I have already read quite a few articles understood the absolute basics.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts.com will help you.

welcome to the gym.

INOH

Reaction score
Yeh, read stronglifts. Alot of information on there, and the guy also explains the exercises, with videos etc to help.

dispatch

Don Juan
Reaction score
third vote for stronglifts. do the 5x5 program. learn the movements properly, start small and work it up each week.

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool, are videos enough to learn from? Or do I need someone to show me..

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bodybuilding.com also has a lot of decent articles. Just don't take too much heed of the suppliments they throw at you.

However, as a basis you should be looking to take:
* Protein Powder
* Fish oils
* Multi vitamins.

Diet is also VERY important. Eat clean!! carbs, protein and fats. (vege's, fruit, meat etc) You don't need potato chips and McDonalds.

rudygee2

Don Juan
Reaction score
In regards to not knowing what to do, this link might be useful.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Click on the muscle you want to work out (on the right hand side box) and then click on the desired type of exercise, and it'll show you a small video of what the exercise is.

What you can do is try to learn the form based off of videos with really light weight, and then ask someone in the gym who seems like they know what they are doing to check your form. People are usually very nice about things like that.

Of course, the best way would be to find a friend that's experienced in weight lifting to teach you, but you gotta work with what you have....

strong like bull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
heres some insight on diet..

the number one factor as to whether you will gain size or lose it, is calories. all of us have a "calorie maintenance level." meaning that on average, each day you burn X amount of calories as you go through your day. in order to gain weight you have to have a calorie surplus. maybe to put on a LB a week, you need to ingest an extra 100 calories a day above your maintenance level. likewise, in order to lose weight you must have a deficit. maybe youd need to have 100 less calories in a day.

this illustrates the importance of diet ...

if you have to have 100 less calories each day, you have two choices. you could BURN the calories by doing cardio, or by tracking your diet simply eat 100 calories less for the day. thats why you see people focusing so much on the specifics of their diet, when trying to reach very specific weight goals.

arguably the second biggest factor for you will be protein. in order to build and maintain muscle, you need protein. generally 1.5grams of protein for every pound of bodyweight. if you weigh 185lbs, that equates to 277.5 grams of protein each day! a lot of people who arent growing or building muscle the way they want to, even though theyre hitting the weights hard, simply arent eating enough.

as you can imagine it might not be very practical or conveneint to eat nearly 300 grams of protein each day. this is why so many take advantage of protein powder/shakes. 20-30 bucks for a 5lb tub of it, each serving gives you roughly 30 grams of protein that you can drink on the go. it can also be less expensive than only eating fresh lean meat for protein. but the fresh meats should definitely be your primary source.

and as far as the RDI goes, think about it like this. its calculated off a 2,000 calorie diet. its based on the average lifestyle of an average man. he works monday through friday, 9-5. runs errands on saturday, sleeps in on sunday... watches some football, drinks beers with his friends and then calls it a week. if this average man isnt taxing his body much, he doesnt need to refuel it with much.

we, on the other hand are not average men. honestly! i work full time, have a business ive been building part time, lift 3 days a week, play basketball and go hiking a couple times a week, have lots of healthy ... ahem ... with my girlfriend, spend time with family, etc. we live very active lifestyles, and we demand our bodies to keep up. we have to support our bodies with vitamins and nutrients to keep them going.

as an example, think of your immune system. if you dont keep it strong by taking vitamins and whatnot, it will be weak. when youre under stress or if someone around you has a cold, youre that much more likely to get sick. whereas if you always taking your multivitamins and sleeping right and generally being healthy and aware of youre body, your defenses will be strong. for myself, now its to the point where my gf can have a cold, and even though we live together, sleep in the same bed together, have sex etc, i dont get sick. people from work dont get me sick either.

i take pride in that!

and i know that if i just stuck to the RDI, it wouldnt be that strong. as far as vitamins, i would recommend a quality multivitamin that gave you hundreds, and in some cases thousands percent of the RDI.

and as far as supplements, theyre just that: SUPPLEMENTAL. they are the icing on the cake. not the cake itself. the core focus should be on eating good, hearty meals. drinking lots of milk, juice and water. sleeping 8+ hrs every night. stretching. a solid, practical workout routine. focus on the fundamentals and you will start building a strong foundation. the only supplements you should worry about to start is a quality multivitamin, and possibly protein powder. the vitamins are number 1. protein powder can make it easier it get all the protein your body will be needing. after that... do some reading on fish oils. and if you want to spend more money on frostings and desserts, THEN buy more supplements.

theres a few mainstay supplements that will round you out. but 99% of supplements out there are more marketing hype than anything else.

good luck
-slb

Kevin Feng

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Exercise doesn't really need to be an extremely difficult or complicated thing.

First you really need to ask youself what you're trying to accomplish at the gym?

Are you trying to lose weight, are you trying to put on muscle mass, training for a certain event?

Different goals will require different types of workouts.

The most common goal for most guys is to put on muscle weight. If that's the case, here are two good rules of thumb to follow:

1. Spend an hour at the gym every day working different muscle group
2. By the time you leave the gym, the muscle group should be sore.

-Kevin