Trust in Trance?

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanx, guys!

So I download the FL studio 5 demo, and I am almost blown away. ALMOST... Everything is good, the VST support is awesome, the possibilities seem endless. However what really pisses me off is its loop-based sequencer. I haven't seen anything as moronic from my days dìcking around with Orion pro. No wonder why most songs made in fl can be easily told apart from others. It REALLY pisses me off. ARRGH!

Then, I download a demo of Ableton Live 4. Once again, I am temporarily impressed. Interface is beautiful, VST support, so on. But then, as I set out to make a simple track using 2 z3ta+, 1 albino, and 5 audio tracks playing percs, the cpu meter nears the 90% mark (I have a P4 3.0GHz). WTF??? Apparently, Live is very uneffective when it comes to using the CPU power because it processes everything real-time, as its name suggests. Also, task manager tells me that a lot of the cpu power is consumed by the overly flashy ass GUI.

So I'll try Cubase SX demo. Heard alot of good stuff about it. Question for anyone who uses it: is the sequencer similar to Reason? In other words, am I able to simply draw notes in, without having to hit the record button, like I have to in Live?

BTW, interesting fact: notice how all those 'hipster' 'cool' wigger kids who use fl call themselves 'producers' and nothing else? :rolleyes:

TonyTheTigerOI

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well you gotta have a day job. That way if you dont get your "big break" and get invited to DJ at "THE CLUB" in your area, so you dont get noticed for the big $$$ gigs - youll have a real life fallback.

Club music is amazing. I dont make it, but i love to listen/dance to it. Can anyone here rave dance?

Drop me a line, I love to swap songs (ive got a few hundred really great club songs). ajgoi on aim.

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont know about cubase sx but in cubase vst you can put the notes in by playing, notation on musical staffs, or on a visual keyboard sequencer

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol I gotta laugh when you say "No wonder why most songs made in fl can be easily told apart from others". It comes with a bunch of drumkits and lots of samples, but alot of people don't even bother to get new sounding kits and whatever. It sort of gives FL that recycled-pop trash sound, but only because there is so much cheese out there. I call myself a 'producer' and I make dance/trance/house type music in my spare time, and I use FL cause it's cheap, but also it's entire structure in based around the sequencer and the piano roll. I find making beats an ease, which is what FL was originally designed for. So what I'm saying is it's not the DJ's best friend, but for looping drums and **** (well, and Sytrus) it's pretty good.

Want a tip to get a more trance sound like what hardware will give you? Gate you synths, and add phasers and that crazy ****. It sounds much more imperfect.