Trust in Trance?

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been writing all kinds of electronica, and now realize that it is my passion. I notice lately how I refuse to do some other things, that should have priority, and instead sit down at my computer and write music.

Are there any electronica producers here? Bedroom DJ's or Ibiza regulars, doesn't matter. Drop a comment! Tell about your studio (soft/hardware), maybe link to some of your stuff.

Im asking for two reasons - 1) because someone else on another thread mentioned that hot chicks are often in the Trance/club scene. So it would be advantageous to become a DJ/trance artist and get your name out there.

2) I want to make my carreer in the trance scene. Had wanted to for a while. But I am not sure if it would be stable financially - you gotta be real good, or you won't make it. So I am wondering if there is anyone else like me out there - did you make music a hobby, and found something else to make a carreer?

Anyways, let's hear it from you producers!

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Whats up bro.

Ive recently come to the conclusion that the basic 9 to 5 job is for suckas so ive dedicated my life to music.

My current setup is a Roland Fantom S hooked up to my receiver/bose shelf speakers.

I just bought a roland tr 505 drum machine to play around with too, its from 1986.

For programs i have fruityloops studio 4, soundforge 7.0 and cool edit pro 2.0 None of which i have used recently.

I make hiphop mostly, but lately have been working on some 80's synth stuff with hiphop drums.

My next plan of action is to pick up, 2 decent studio monitors, a turntable and reason 3.0 when its released.

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I own my own studio and work there part time. I am also a music addict. I actually played professionally for 8 years but decided that lifestyle wasn't for me.

As far as my studio and the software I'm running:
Sequencers/multi-track
Pro-tools
Cubase VST/32
Samplitude 24/96
Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Pro-Logic
Sonar

Plug-ins
DX and VST
Way to many to list

I have way too much hardware to even list, but for a small home setup you might look into gettin an M-audio Mobile Pre to use for a mic pre-amp. It's usb powered and requires no cabled.. All sound is transferred into the computer via the USB cable which also power's the unit. It also has phantom power for condenser mic's. A good Vocal mic ia als The AT-3035 by Audio Technica.. Its a great affordable condeser mic that sells for about $175 US.

I don't play around with remixes and DJ'ing quite like I used to because I have become fairly busy with other paying projects.
If you would like to hear some remixes I have played around with they are posted here . I just set this site up so it is very rough right now. I am currently working on getting all my work past and present posted.

Feedback is welcome, and good luck to you in your musical venture.

Hypoxia II

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I listen to alot of trance & house.

Heard Endre- Kallocain?

Hot.

Wanna post any of your stuff to check out?

Btw, I mess with AcidPro & Soundforge.

tiesto makes me sick.

Bah. I like Tiesto.

Last edited:

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
hahha that intergalactic remix is hillarious.

good work

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the replies!

Currently, I don't own any hardware. Just Propellerhead Reason 2.5, Rebirth and Recycle, Native instruments Reaktor 4 and Absynth 2, Ableton Live 2, and Steinberg Wavelab. As for VSTs - way too many to list. Though I do like Izotope ozone especially (mastering), and z3ta+ and absynth as vsti's.

Time to geta midi keyboard :D

Not a big fan of van dyk or sasha, and prefer Astral Projection. :p

PS: wavelab pwns soundforge imho - used both.

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
izotope ozone is the only plug i use for mastering.. its a great program

and thanks Julian

Last edited:

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Music for me is a hobby which I really enjoy. Some things I have used with my limited budget is FL 3, 4, 5, SoundForge 7, Reason 2.5 demo, and loads of free VSTs.

Disconnect if you get a MIDI keyboard make sure to get ASIO support cause otherwise the latency makes playing in real-time a pain. For recording into a sequencer with a standard MIDI config you can rework the notes in your sequencer.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Midi keyboard sounds nice for making sweet melodies - the piano roll is a pain when it comes to that.

fuzzx: great site, man!

Why are there no comments on the club scene? I'm too young to go to clubs, but isn't trance what gets played most?

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I fukk with Drum and Base and Hard House and some Trance, but I dont go to the clubs though...No grinding in there...Thats why alot of clubs stopped playing electronica, cause the demand went down, at least around here anyways...

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have this issue bugging me: the old Fruity Loops vs Reason debate. FL now features VST support, while reason makes a point of not doing so in its latest version (Im a betatester). Doesn't that alone make FL infinitely more powerful?

On the other hand, Prodigy made their album in Reason (rewired to Protools, though). Have to admit it sound professional. But listen to this: http://www.dance-industries.com/download.php?ID=7847

That's a remix of "I believe" by Lange made by this guy AlphaDelta, in FL using plugins like Vanguard, Absynth and z3ta+.

In the end, it seems to come down to talent rather than the tool. So I will save my money, and cash out on a good host like cubase. Whaddayathink?

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
I have to go with Reason.

If not for its pure power then for the simple fact of how many square ass suckas use FL.

Now im not saying that you cant make tight ish in FL. Me and this dude collaberated and used FL 3.5.6 and we made a PHAT beat. I mean some pro sounding stuff.

The tools dont necassarily make the man but they do definetly help.

Im actually planning on selling my fantom s because i dont like its interface. Im going to probably get an akai mpc1000, or 2000xl and a NICE midi controller, m audio 88key one maybe.

All i know is that music is my life and its going to make me a rich mutha sucka.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Disconnect, I think you are right on Cubase. FL is the best thing I have seen for making drum loops but it does not compare to the status cubase has acquired, for some reason people think it is better. I don't know about Reason, but if it does not support VST then I don't want to use it. Some of the best synths are VST, and you are not limited by your hosts proprietary instruments, which sounds like what will happen with Reason.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Plus, FL sounds ALOT better, WITH the right reverb plugin. I gotta say the default reverb is the crap.

Cheatz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Trance was my first favourite genre since as long as I can remember and it still is now!

Havn't been listening to it as of late but it's good to have variety at times :) I usually like vocals, uplifting and hard trance :cool:

chalk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cant believe i only just opened this thread. I'm heavily into my music, i've been spinning my decks for 5+ years now and have messed around with every style of music from the old trance and hard house, to some GOA, beak beak, tribal, progressive, hip hop and scratching. I love all music (excluding most R'n'B and gangsa rap)

I've produced loads of stuff in fruity loops, i just clicked with that programme and haven't seen the need to try much else. I couldnt comment on whether reason is better or not, like someone said, if you've the talent then the hardware isn't the issue.

I'd like everyone to post some of the tracks they're making and i'll get round to doing the same, it's always great to hear what other people are doing and to find out how they're doing it.

Peace out

Chalk

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
Disconnect,

If you have the patience and you do wind up using cubase as a VST host, I strongly suggest using the muon atom vst software.. it can replicate the Roland 303 sound perfectly.. It just takes a little bit of programming... However if you use a simple midi keyboard controller like the M-Audio Oxygen 8 it will simplify the programming tremendoulsy...

check out the muon atom software.. I use it regularly with my oxygen 8 as a controller and it sounds amazing...

you can ceheck it out here http://www.muon-software.com/

Hypoxia II