True Passion

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear alot of people on sosuave talk about "finding a passion in life" because having a true passion for something in your life will draw girls to you like a magnet.

So they find something they like doing and they do it. Maybe they even stick with it for a really long time. Maybe they even become amazing at what they do. But this isn't enough.

You have to truly LOVE what your doing. the phrase should be "find a passion in life, and MAKE IT your life" everything you do should have some relevance to this.

for example, I personally started playing the guitar about 4 years ago. it has become, for me, a true passion. I don't just play the guitar. I eat, sh!t and BREATHE guitar. whenever i have a spare moment, i write down lyrics i have floating around in my head or figure out how to play the tune thats knocking around in my skull. When I have no inspiration, i listen to new kinds of music in order to find inspiration.

Sure, I have lots of other loves in my life (art, sports, women) but these all take second place to my true passion for music.

This should be applied to all aspects of your life.
Don't just get a job, get the BEST JOB EVER!! The one that will make you happy every day you are there. You should never dread going into work, you should look forward to it.
Don't just go to school, be a STUDENT!! Take school for what it is, a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to learn about the world around you. Don't just play a sport, be the TEAM CAPTAIN!!!
Don't just have sex, have house-shaking, wall-collapsing, bed-breaking sex (sex is another of my passions :) )

Most importantly, don't find a passion in your life for the sake of finding a passion. "The DJ bible says find a passion, so I guess I have to do that before I can get girls" DO IT FOR YOURSELF!!!

Now get out there and START LOVING STUFF!!!

Last edited:

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
me three.:)

Hendrix

Don Juan
Reaction score

DJoneday

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
same here...and i've got to say it's my passion as well. I'm actually going to college next year for audio production, and i'll be taking music theory out the yang, i can't wait :D

Green_Day

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats with everyone playing guitars the triangle is where its at.... self taught before anyone asks. It was quite hard at first but I eventually got the hang of it.

No my true passion is parkour(free running).

SchuhSohle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah ... it is probably a good idea to set priorities like that.
Dunno ... I like art, music and sports.
But what if what you really enjoy is not what you are good at?
The one thing I enjoy like nothing else is soccer.
I guess I'm mediocre at best.

Another half-assed passion is art.
I put in a lot of time because it was the only thing I could do for a while.
It doesn't show. I don't get better.
Would be something I could make a true passion if I had what it takes, though.

What I can do fairly well is programming.
Not good enough to get a proper game engine done, though.
Very time consuming ... and it will never be a passion in the way the OP wrote.
Unfortunately computer science is what I study right now.

I'd love to learn to play the guitar well enough to be able to jam a little and maybe be a bassist.
A bit late for that. And sooo little time.

Parkour looks cool, too ... so does tricking.

Can't sarging be a passion, too? I was kinda hoping I could turn it into one of mine.
I'm not even a RAFC though. Never been an AFC ... never gotten that far.

I'm definitely off the track.

So yeah, ... what if what you really enjoy is not what you are good at?
Any thoughts, ... anybody?

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it doesn't matter if your good at it, so long as you love doing it. I don't consider myself to be the greatest guitarist of all time, but i love playing and love learning to play better, which is how i can tell it is my passion.

however, with most things there is only so far experience and natural talent can take you. I'm beginning to focus on technique (which i'd rather not do) because its the only way i can get better then i am now. The same thing can be applied to almost anything. As strange as this sounds, you have to teach yourself how to learn to improve. I figure out my limitations, then i figure out new ways to teach myself to improve on them

SchuhSohle

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm working on a written master-plan now. Thanks for the advice.

Guess the theory of "letting go or trying harder" will play an important role there.
I have the feeling I'm holding on to something that I should dump immediately.

I think road-blocks are an interesting related topic.
They kinda get in the way when you try to find your true passion.
I think I'll be more confident if I ever get that feeling that I'm well on my way.
Knowing what my true passion is certainly wouldn't hurt. ;)

I'm pretty much a theory freak. I know it is more important to actually DO something.
I'll have to work on finding a balance there ...
but I think figuring out how to learn to improve will be fun.

assassin

Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm not passionite about playing guitar. i'm obsessed.

i'm by no means trying to brag about how good i am or anything..

i'm in a weird position though. soon my gf is going to college in socal. we live in norcal. i either stay up here and play in my band, or move down with her and continue what so far is the best relationship i've ever experienced..

i'm leaning towards music...

what would u guys do?

Michael Chief

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
stop eating your guitar :mad:

well said. i know what you mean. my guitars are my babies and music is everything. EVERYTHING.

my music theory AP class is friggin fun but alas...the AP test is comin up really soon and its really gunna be a b!tch.

by the way, it's always better to take lessons. learning from a master gets you much further than learning from an amatuer. the teacher points out little mistakes you make that can be vital to your playing and health. If i hadn't taken lessons, i'd probably have carpel tunnel syndrome by now lol.

Same with DJing, its best to hang with guys who are already good. Helps you learn.