Track advice

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys:

I am seriously into running, mainly the 1500m and 3000m. I have also just started lifting too(and bulking). I'm 16. I am at about 144lbs now, about 6', but I want to get to about 180-185 pounds. I am wondering, what do you guys think about weight lifting and running. My plan is to still lift hard with my legs till April when running begins, and then maybe keep the weight the same for the entire season, or lift w/ loegs only like 2 times a month, not very intense. I think if I am about 180, I will be a stronger runner, and my leg endurance will increase.

Any ideas, opinions, anything welcome.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you currently running long distance/ track for your high school right now?

Post up your weekly routine showing how you space out your running (distance trained), free weights/ resistence training (which bodyparts/ exercise work out revolves around e.g "benchpress day" or "squat day"), and rest period (specific times when you work out or rest not necessary. Just divide the day into mornings, afternoons, and evenings).

Also, you mentioned that you are bulking. It would be very helpful if you posted a typical daily meal or two, noting approx. how many calories are in your daily diet, how many meals you eat a da, when you eat them, what foods make up the core of your current diet, and also approx. how many carbohydrates, fats and proteins you think you eat daily.

Thanks,

B.A.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For middle and distance running you really don't want to bulk up. Sure, let your weight rise gradually and naturally to a point as you get older and do some strength and of course muscular endurance work but you won't see a good 1500 or 3000m runner at 180.

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
urghhhhh, I just accidently deleted 3/4 of my post(don't ask me how)
Anyways, running-wise, in the summer I trained like a *****, only doing like 6x400m w/rest then leaving. Currently I have no ride to the running centre, so I cannot train over the winter for running.

I workout 4x a week(feel free to tell me if anything wrong w/ my workout)

Day 1-Back-
Seated Rows, Deadlifts, Military Presses

Day 2- Legs-
Squats, Leg Curls, Leg press, Calves

Day 4- Chest-
Chest Presses, Dumbell Flyes, (need 1 more, don't like incline bench

Day 6- Triceps, forearms
Pulldowns, Dips, forearm machine

Ok, I haven't been keeping a calorie count since I have began(bit lazy, if I hadn't got results I promised I would have started)
(Gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks, so not too bad)

Average School day:(milk basically every meal, at least 5 glasses)

7:30- 3 Eggs scrambled
12:30-3 bagels(lunch at school, kinda sucks)
2:30- 1 can tuna
4:30- I'll make like something in microwave(pizza pockets, some protein and fat)
- I am a runt, about 7% bf before I began, so I don't care too much for a bit of fat.
7:00-eat whatever parents make for dinner, only like 2x week, or I'll make something like ez mac(8 g protein, 7g fat, and eat like 3 of them
10:00- 1 can tuna
Then, bed time

This is an average bulking day.

Any opinions on anything I'll take

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's good for you that you don't have to concern yourself with track for a good few months yet. Worry about it when it becomes an issue. For now though, you are free to work on putting on some quality mass and decent strength gains.

Ok, below is a post which I created on a different forum for a teenager wishing to gain size. When you read it, it may be slightly out of context, but the theory is sound:

"You can gain quality mass just by ingesting more calories than you expend. The margin between maintainance and "positive calorie intake" will dictate how quickly you gain mass (mass meaning both lean and fatty tissues. The slower you gain the mass the higher the percentage it will be lean mass). What your diet consists of will also dictate to some degree what type of mass you put on.

For example: You are 5ft 7in and weigh 165lb. Approx. calorific intake for maintainance of a sedentary life style is something in the region of 1'500-1'700Kcal. Say that we bump it up to 2'500Kcal, and this is the amount of calories that you are currently ingesting to maintain your current mass and support your active lifestyle (strength training, P.E. in school, playing with friends etc.).

Now to gain mass properly you have to monitor your diet and keep a record of how much food you are eating each day (and week,) so as to help estimate ultimately how many calories you will need to eat each day/ week to support say, a gain of 1lb per week. You must attempt to be as accurate and as honest as possible.

You start off at 2'500Kcal per day for a week, take your weight on the last of the seven days (In the morning before you eat) and find that you haven't gained anything. Bump it up to 3'000Kcal per day for a week and repeat as before. Again, you find that your weight has increased only fractionally. Bump it up another 500Kcal to 3'500Kcal per day for a week. Repeat as before, and you find that you have gained approx. 1lb of mass. You have found that, to support a growth of 1lb of mass a week (plus your maintainance and current level of physical activity) you'll have to ingest approx. 3'500Kcal per day. As you grow you will obviously increase intake slightly to support your new mass.

The above numbers are an example. You may find you gain 1lb at 3'000Kcal or 4'000Kcal, and you may have to make adjustments in 250Kcal increments, but practically it works.

I am not sure about other members' attitudes towards protein intake when it comes to recreational strength sports. Personally, I feel that many teenage athletes ingest far too much protein, sacrificing carbohydrates and fats in the process. The average sedentary person's diet should consist of about 10% proteins (approx. 0.45 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight), and the recreational strength athlete (which you are) should double this to 20% of total calorific intake (approx. 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight). IMHO, unless you are on some form of AAS, you will not be able to fully utilise/ process a high protein diet for the purposes of fast lean mass gain.

IMHO, you should divide your CFP into the following percentages: 55-60% carbohydrates, 20-25% fats and 20-25% proteins (of whatever calorific amount you are ingesting daily). Proteins and fats obviously from dairy products, poultry, red meat, nuts and pulses and fish, and carbohydrates (as much in the form of polysaccharides/ complex carbohydrates as possible) from unrefined, wholemeal bread, rice and cereal, pasta, (sweet) potatoes, and fruit and vegetables. Make sure to ingest plenty of water during the day.

If you claim that you are eating "lots and lots of food/ calories", yet are still on putting on mass, this is not an excuse to use creatine, protein powders and weight gainers. Contrary to what you may think, you simply aren't ingesting enough calories, and have to motivate yourself to eat what is required for growth. A lazy, apathetic attitude will not yield mass gains, so keep yourself motivated to continuously eat a proper high calorie diet until you are satisfied that you have gained a sufficient amount of mass.

Keep your targets and your goals SMART:

S - Specific
M - Meaningful and Measurable
A - Attainable and Acheivable
R - Realistic
T - Time Constrained

Make sure that you have planned your mass gain as much as possible aswell with short, medium and long term goals:

E.G. short term: gain 1lb a week; medium term: gain 4-5lb a month; long term gain 14-15lb in 14 weeks, or however long your diet lasts for.

- B.A. "

When I used to go to high school, I carried in my bag plenty of hard boiled eggs, or home made protein shakes (eggs and milk properly whisked up and poured into a disposable 500ml bottle). Wholemeal Sandwiches with different fillings (tuna, chicken, turkey, cheese etc.) are also a great way of ensuring a proper diet when you don't ave access to a kitchen. Just carry a big tub of these foods in your school bag. You can also buy water and whole milk from the cafeteria or local shop near the school.

As for a routine, the basic powerlifting routine which I have posted in another thread has been met with a high level of success from teenage members who train at the gym I work at. Although it focuses on strength, it is more than adequate for building quality mass if your diet is properly monitored etc. (Just read what I posted). Plus, you will only be at the gym for 3 days a week.

Basically, stay consistent and motivated. Don't miss meals, don't miss work outs, and don't take shortcuts, and you'll make some real good progress over the next few months before your track season kicks off again.

- B.A.

The Exponent

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to be worth a damn you'll run at least 6 days a week with only 2 weeks off a year.