Too skinny, want to gain weight. What should I do?

Clear12k

Reaction score
I'm about 5'9", 130 lbs right now. I think I have a lot of fat on my face because I have chubby cheeks (not a lot, about moderate). I can't seem to gain weight so I think I have fast metabolism or something is not right with my body. I'm tired of looking this skinny so I want to do something about it.

I'm kind of new to bodybuilding stuff so I don't know the best way for me to start.

My plan is to do these things:
Diet: milk, eggs, chicken, vegetables, rice, supplements
Exercise: high intensity interval training, dumbbell/kettlebell, playing sports
Sleep: 6-8 hours/day

What do you think?

I want to stay on a budget so probably going to buy food in bulk and cook at home. What should I eat that have high calories and cheap?
How do I get rid of my chubby cheeks (too much fat in the wrong place)? How do I make my other body parts bigger (mostly chest, butt, arms, legs)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding threads/sites/resources that can help me?
Thank you for your help.

MrNiceGuy23

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have a fast metabolism then you wouldn't have chubby cheeks. Chubby cheeks may just be genetic or when you do gain weight the first spot you notice it is in your face (for others it can be stomach, ass, etc).

As far as gaining weight goes, your best option to put on weight fast is to cut out cardio. I gained about 25 pounds since May because I completely cut out cardio from my workouts (I semi regret it because I'm not in good heart shape right now but I digress). If you cut out cardio, you won't have to eat as much to gain weight. You can also go back to doing cardio after you hit a target 5-10 pounds above your goal to trim the excess fat you gained while getting big.

Your diet seems good if you eat enough of it. Try peanut butter sandwiches as well since peanuts have a bit of calories in them and as long as you don't eat too much are healthy for you. Go with granola and a lot of whole grains as well.

You can google foods that have a lot of calories in them. Pistachios have a TON of calories in them for their small size but you can't eat too many of them as they become unhealthy if you eat too many, but a handful or 2 or 3 a day should be fine.

Off the top of my head avocado is great too.

Just google "daily caloric intake" calculator and see what your maintenance intake is right now, then add about 500-1000 calories to that and that's how much you eat. At 500 extra calories you'll be gaining a pound a week at least, and at 1000 you'll be gaining 2 pounds at least a week (everybody is different). You can go more or less depending on how aggressive you want to be.

For example I'm about 6'2" 200 pounds and I need to eat about 3,500 calories per day to maintain my weight and exercise routine.

Lift HEAVY. High weights, low reps, 3 sets (4 max if you do a warmup). By low reps I mean 6-8 max (by third set 6 should be hard to do). This shocks your muscles and tears the fibers making your muscles grow a lot faster than low eight high rep workouts.

That's about it lemme know if you have questions.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clear12k said:
I'm about 5'9", 130 lbs right now. I think I have a lot of fat on my face because I have chubby cheeks (not a lot, about moderate). I can't seem to gain weight so I think I have fast metabolism or something is not right with my body. I'm tired of looking this skinny so I want to do something about it.

I'm kind of new to bodybuilding stuff so I don't know the best way for me to start.

My plan is to do these things:
Diet: milk, eggs, chicken, vegetables, rice, supplements
Exercise: high intensity interval training, dumbbell/kettlebell, playing sports
Sleep: 6-8 hours/day

What do you think?

I want to stay on a budget so probably going to buy food in bulk and cook at home. What should I eat that have high calories and cheap?
How do I get rid of my chubby cheeks (too much fat in the wrong place)? How do I make my other body parts bigger (mostly chest, butt, arms, legs)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding threads/sites/resources that can help me?
Thank you for your help.
Throw all of that out of the window.

Kettlebells, DB ballistics and HIIT are great for getting friggin' ripped, while putting on minor amounts of muscle. If you wanna get BIG, then here's what you do.

Do squats.

Do deadlifts.

Do squats and deadlifts correctly. Form comes first, adding weight comes second.

Do your upper body the way Doggcrapp recommends to lift. Too much to explain here, but google it and you'll find out.

Eat a ****LOAD

Sleep a ****LOAD

Do only as much cardio as you need to to stay in shape.

As for your cheeks: get older or lose fat. Don't worry about them while you're getting big.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
Throw all of that out of the window.

Kettlebells, DB ballistics and HIIT are great for getting friggin' ripped, while putting on minor amounts of muscle. If you wanna get BIG, then here's what you do.

Do squats.

Do deadlifts.

Do squats and deadlifts correctly. Form comes first, adding weight comes second.

Do your upper body the way Doggcrapp recommends to lift. Too much to explain here, but google it and you'll find out.

Eat a ****LOAD

Sleep a ****LOAD

Do only as much cardio as you need to to stay in shape.

As for your cheeks: get older or lose fat. Don't worry about them while you're getting big.

Pretty much sums it up, research some beginning Strength Training programs. As far as supplements, I'd recommend a mass gainer or a good quality milk & egg protein powder and maybe a multi vitamin, not necessary.

Stay consistent with the program you choose for atleast 4 months and don't switch it up. It's easy for beginners to stray away from the program and change things that dont need to be. Remember your a beginner so start out light and learn the lift, could take months to perfect your form..

Good Luck!

MuscleReview

Banned
Reaction score
Some of the others have given you good advice here. Find a simple routine based on compound movements (squat, deadlift, etc). Whole body training is probably better if you are just starting to lift. Get plenty of good food and supplement if necessary (but don't go spending hundreds on supplements because most of them are a waste). Keep getting stronger in the main lifts and eventually you'll also get bigger.

smith joe

Reaction score
For to gain your body weight you just need to eat a fully cholesterol contain foods in your meals.
You should be eat fish,Use milk,eggs,butter,cheese,and rice.Eat food a lots in 3 to 4 meals in a day.Take extra calories daily also use fruits juices that provide you the extra calories.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking at this post reminds me of myself back in 2004 (I was 5'9 130lbs)
Look for a thread called "Where to start" you'll see two options A & B. Pick one it doesn't matter they both work. Eating cheap on a budget? All you need is

Eggs, Tuna, Chicken, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Some Fruits (Bananas), Some veggies (Spinach & Broccoli). Screw supplements the majority of it is all marketing anyway. The only one's I used at the time where Creatine Monohydte, Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein, Fish Oil & a Multivitamin. If you have the money to spend on supplements your best bet would be picking up some high quality foods like steak.

Follow whats written in the where to start thread exactly and you'll make some good gains...

Archer 22

Reaction score
I suggest you to have natural things,Don't go for artificial stuff like supplements or pills,it will boost your body rapidly but will show you side effects after a while.
Eat red meat,Eggs,Fish,nuts,beans,olives, and drink milk or shakes if u cant have plain.
That will surely change your physic and if you are training then your body will come in to the perfect shape.All the best.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cycle through compound lifts at the gym, dont waste too much time with isolation work for now

squat
leg press
seated rows
overhead press
chest press machine
shoulder press
deadlift