Too much milk?

the_m@n

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was recently approached by my workout buddy to try a new diet which relies heavily on drinking a lot of milk. I've always been relatively skinny and from what I have noticed in my workouts for the past 7 months, I am quite a 'hard gainer.' I would suppose that consuming this much milk (.5 to 1 gallon per day) would help me to gain the extra weight I need however I am concerned about any adverse effects this could have on my body (i.e. health risks).

If anyone has experimented with this type of diet please comment. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I doubt that your a hardgainer. Its a lot more likely that your diet is setup incorrectly. I would avoid gallon of milk type diets. There far better ways to add quality muscle. Post up your diet and training.

the_m@n

Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
I doubt that your a hardgainer. Its a lot more likely that your diet is setup incorrectly. I would avoid gallon of milk type diets. There far better ways to add quality muscle. Post up your diet and training.
I don't really have a set diet. For a while I was just consuming everything I could and I gained 10lbs. I kept going with that diet for a while and my weight has not moved in 2 months. I would eat yogurts and fresh fruits in the mornings for breakfast. I was eating a lot of chicken and steak for lunch and dinner and having protein shakes like 3 times a day to make up for extra meals. Each shake was about 52 grams of protein. I'm pretty busy during the day with work so it's hard for me to fit in extra meals. This is why I opted for the shakes because I knew that I needed to obtain the extra protein and carbohydrates I was missing from my regular meals. I'm assuming that the weight I gained was all muscle due to the fact that I actually have biceps and triceps now. My calves and quads have at least doubled in size and I feel stronger overall.

As far as my training is concerned I usually workout with my friends so we alternate between working on chest and biceps one day, legs and triceps another day and back and shoulders on another day. We will usually mix in a little cardio and abs after every workout. I try to hit the gym anywhere from 3 to 4 times a week.

I tend to workout by doing 3 to 4 sets. My first set will be on a lighter weight with reps of 10 - 12 and I will gradually increase my weight from first to last set. In my last set I may only get 4 - 6 reps depending on the exercise.

I'm relatively new to the whole muscle building (and working out) scene. Thanks in advance for the insight.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP you would benefit a lot from planning your diet out. Start with the below and post it here and I'll make some tweaks

Meal 1-

Meal 2-

Meal 3-

Meal 4-

Meal 5-

Meal 6-

the_m@n

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok. Here's an attempt

Meal 1- Toasted whole grain english muffin with jelly, yogurt, and fresh fruit.

Meal 2- Protein shake & fresh fruit

Meal 3- Grilled Chicken Breast & vegetable side

Meal 4- Fruit, Yogurt, Shake

Meal 5- Steak and Vegetables

Meal 6- Shake

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're looking for something to eat when you don't have much time to cook: Eggs.

Try this. Ingredients:

* 4-5 large potatoes.
* 1 onion.
* Light frying oil.
* 1 dozen eggs.

Dice the potatoes and onion, cook with abundant oil on low-med heat stirring occasionally, covering the pan.

Once potatoes are soft and start to go mushy, remove from heat, drain oil, and mix potatoes with the eggs well beaten. Salt to taste.

Put the pan back on the heat, medium-high, with a bit of oil (you can use some of the oil you used to cook the potatoes with, and a teflon pan will help cook it with less fat). Heat well, and then add the egg-potato mix. Flip constantly (use a plate bigger than the diameter of the pan for this), until cooked through.

This is what we call tortilla in Spain (as opposed to the Mexican type), and is good cold or hot. Best way to have egg and carbs meals when you don't have time to prepare proper meals through the day. Just make large tortillas and put portions in a small tupperware or between slices of bread. You can add as much egg as you need, the potatoes will make sure it stays consistent enough. You just need a bigger pan.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_m@n said:
Ok. Here's an attempt

Meal 1- Chicken+Brown Rice

Meal 2- Protein shake+oats

Meal 3- Grilled Chicken Breast & vegetable side +Brown Rice

Meal 4- Protein Shake+ Oats

Meal 6- Shake+Olive Oil or natty peanut butter
Here some tweaks. I need to know your height,weight and see a picture to give you the right portions for your diet.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_m@n said:
Ok. Here's an attempt

Meal 1- Toasted whole grain english muffin with jelly, yogurt, and fresh fruit.

Meal 2- Protein shake & fresh fruit

Meal 3- Grilled Chicken Breast & vegetable side

Meal 4- Fruit, Yogurt, Shake

Meal 6- Shake
Where's the carbs? You can't gain muscle if your body's burning the protein for energy. That's what carbohydrates are for.
Complex carbs are good for you. Brown rice, oats, whole grain bread, potatoes, yams, corn.... the simpler the food, the more complex usually.

I would take EFFORT's diet changes but switch around Meal 2 and Meal 6. Peanut butter has alot of sugar in it. If you're going to have Meal 6 late, avoid the sugar at that time. Eat it in the daytime instead.

Your breakfast is like a snack to me. Get some food in there. Eat 4 or 5 meals if it's too much but do something to make that breakfast bigger.

the_m@n

Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Here some tweaks. I need to know your height,weight and see a picture to give you the right portions for your diet.
When you say oats do you mean put them in the shake?

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 147 lbs

How do I send a picture?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_m@n said:
How do I send a picture?
If that's what ypu want to do.

Take your picture, upload it to imageshack and post the link. Post a link to the picture direct, not the embedded because that doesn't work on this forum.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_m@n said:
When you say oats do you mean put them in the shake?

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 147 lbs

How do I send a picture?
Yes blend the oats in your shake

You can upload it to image shack and post the link here or pm it to me

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Peanut butter has alot of sugar in it.
Not Natural (natty) Peanut butter

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_m@n said:

Use this as a starting point

Meal 1- Chicken 5oz, Brown Rice 5oz

Meal 2- Protein shake 40g + oats 3oz

Meal 3- Grilled Chicken Breast 5oz & vegetable side +Brown Rice 5oz

Meal 4- Protein Shake 40g + Oats 3oz

Meal 5- Steak 6oz and Broccoli

Meal 6- Shake 40g +Olive Oil 1tablespoon or natty peanut butter 1oz

hero_hont

Banned
Reaction score
Too much milk..

the_m@n said:
Hey guys.

I was recently approached by my workout buddy to try a new diet which relies heavily on drinking a lot of milk. I've always been relatively skinny and from what I have noticed in my workouts for the past 7 months, I am quite a 'hard gainer.' I would suppose that consuming this much milk (.5 to 1 gallon per day) would help me to gain the extra weight I need however I am concerned about any adverse effects this could have on my body (i.e. health risks).

If anyone has experimented with this type of diet please comment. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
hello everyone..
We really can't drink too much. I alone go through about 4 gallons a week. If it's got fat in it, it can certainly contribute to weight gain (fat). But if it's skim you dont have to worry about that.
If you decide that it is necessary, an easy way to cut back on his milk intake is to simply not fill up his sippie cups. Instead of 8 ounces in the cup, just put 5 or 6 ounces. And then maybe stick to just 3-4 cups per day:rockon: