The UK Thread

waldo

Don Juan
Reaction score
We should arrange a grand get together of all UK DJ's. Y'know all wear black suits etc.

The Sentinel

Don Juan
Reaction score
^ That is a brilliant idea.

I would love for an older, more experienced DJ to teach my useless self, first-hand. (Im only 22).

stevey_2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
we've already talked about this and i'll defo be there...i don't wear suits tho, usually trousers and a smart shirt, havn't got a suit anyway :-((

The Sentinel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im a total AFC.

I would love to meet up with all the UK DJ's, to learn.

Whats a good location? Glasgows a great city but maybe too far removed for southerners.

What about a weekend in a northern English city? Newcasle? Maybe even down to Manchester?

Just suggestions!

Heres an idea. The UK guys who are interested in meeting up could all give their email address to each other, this way we could have a sort of mini web-ring which we could use to arrange something together?

stevey_2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
good idea!!,

thing is with me...i play football all over the country so it will be a matter of where i will be playing on the day...if it's anywhere near then i'll come along and have a laugh with you all!!

for any raving clubbers, i'm goin to gatecrasher on the 25th if anyone is goin

In Sync

Don Juan
Reaction score
I travel all over Wales...

Will be in Barry, Port Talbot, Haverfordwest at some point in the next three months. Plus Rhyl, Newtown (tomorrow!!), Aberystwyth, Llansantffraid..

SomeGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if society is stiff, even better.

All you gotta do is just talk to people about anything. Ask for directions, ask for the time, hell even ask the cute chick on the street is there's a cool cafe close by (you're new in town)...be a little inventive. You'll get the idea once they like you.

You are just asking for *something* not pulling them!! Just have fun, eventually you'll find someone that shows more interest. Take it from there.

Same with clubs. Just say anything that's on your mind, who cares. It's Friday night and you're out to forget about all the week's worries. Plus it's easier to talk to wimmen than guys..how gay is it to go to a guy and say "nice drink, what is it?". Chicks will dig it.

have fun and who cares about what happens.

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by In Sync
I travel all over Wales...

Will be in Barry, Port Talbot, Haverfordwest at some point in the next three months. Plus Rhyl, Newtown (tomorrow!!), Aberystwyth, Llansantffraid..
You should say when you come to Port Talbot... that's my HOME!

We should definetly have a get together. All uk people --- I've put up a section in the Bible for you to register your name. Go to the Bible and sign up!

Nick

Nicholas Hill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by In Sync
You'll know Afan Lido then?
Afan Lido aka aquadome yes.

I'm in Sandfields when im not in uni (which is in swansea). the cinema (very close to the aquadome. very very close) is 15 minutes walk away!

Of course, I need to be IN port talbot first! I think an end-of-term intersects one of the dates you mentioned.

Nick

donny osmond

Don Juan
Reaction score
BUMP, Meet-up! Meet-up! Meet-up!

Got to be done boys! I'm up for Bristol if anyone wants to go, Some student lassies will be comin our way!

'You've got to wait for the rain to enjoy the rainbow. Do you know who said that? Dolly parton. And some people say she's just a big pair of tits'

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Sentinel
Im from Glasgow and let me assure you that if you are a crappy AFC like me, youve got NO CHANCE.

American DJ's live in a liberal paradise, they claim thay can get a womans' home number just walking along the street.

In Scotland, if you tried that, you most definitely would be accused of rape or child molestation.

Americans, British women are NOTHING like what is discussed on this board.

British culture is very much formal and stiff-assed compared to USA.

I go to nightclubs and everyone stands about looking utterly bored, like in a library.

Simply put, it is too hard to find a girlfriend.
You poor European bastards, I thought Britain was Ultra-liberal, considering they show their hors naked on TV, and the TV shows are filled with sexual innuendo! Yet you are harassed and frowned upon for talking to a girl on the street?? Huh?

All Benny-Hill did was chase hors around, on his TV show at least!

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Irish girls and pick ups are the exact same.

So much harder to score than our American counterparts, so it seems.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was born in Wales (Cardiff) - lived there until I was 24. I went to Swansea Uni - until 21 - then worked in Denmark for a couple yrs.

I moved to Los Angeles when I was 24 and have been here for a number of yrs.

I can say, in my ecperience, it's much easier to hook up in the UK when going out to bars and clubs.....

Women tend to go out in the UK to hook up with guys - where in the US they tend to go out to "Dance" or have fun with their GF.

That being said - approaches on the street are far easier in the US - but thats because in the UK it's generally not done. That I'm to stiff kinda UK attitude.

However, I think it would work amazingly well for the UK DJ's to approach women in libraries etc. Because it's generally not done, it set's you apart form the others.

Living in the US has taught me many things about communication - about approaching and talking to random people out of the blue - plus the fact that I've travelled for work to many places where I've not known anyone - so I'm forced to meet people and interact.

I find - that when I go back to the UK, it's really easy for me to talk to women - and I've hooked up with girls everytime I go back - simply because I've got the balls to go up and start a convo - which I think is unusual (In general).

You UK DJ's have a untapped resource in cold approach's. You should look at this as a positive not a negative. Work your game - work your skills - don't come off as an idiot or as a A hole - and it will set you apart from the rest of the guys.

Just remember - social interaction is a necessary part of humans - we crave social interaction (even when we say we are happy being alone) - you'll be surprised with your results.

juzzy25

Don Juan
Reaction score
Am I the only London UK DJ!!! Ouch!!

Man Im surrounded by chumps in the capital even in my own workplace, its very funny.

You want some fun with stuck up chicks, London is the place to be but plenty of great lasses about to try it on with.

Street pickups are a cow to do but Ive suceeded but you've got to know your game WELL!! and get it down.

If you're a London DJ Id love to hear from ya, there's too many AFC's in the damn capital.

Austin Allegro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a Londoner.

The main difference between the US and UK is that the British are still much more reserved and social interaction is a bit more formal, especially in the south east amongst the middle classes.

We don't have such a culture of 'dating' as they do in the US, in fact before the American GIs came over during the war it was unknown in this country - until then you 'courted' women and once you started doing that you were pretty much expected to get married. That attitude is still around in the British subconscious and you still hear older people asking if you're 'courting'.

In my experience, clubs and pubs in the UK are the WORST places to meet women. British women when they go out are the most defensive of any nationality I've met - the Americans seem much more open, as do most European women. Yes we have the 'ladette' culture, but that's often a front, and anyway the most sexually forward women are usually the horrible ugly slappers.

I'd say British women respond very well to DJ approaches done well in a situation where chatting to strangers is socially acceptable - I've got loads of dates with women from my gym, at parties/balls, at art gallery private views, book launches, etc etc.

Tweek_1984

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Carlisle lad here. Proper northerner! ;)

Excluding girls into 'alternative' music, all the lasses up here are total clones or complete scally's.

I atended university of Manchester last year but I quit. Going back to study at the Met in september.

Wouldnt mind a DJ meetup.

Adam See

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fifth Avenue in Manchester! Could do with a place like that in Chesterfield. House parties are great for meeting people without the whole club scene present.

Hello Tweak, fellow OcUKer.