The ramblings of a hung over college student

MooseGod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Paradise City where the grass is green and the
Okay, so I've got my mojo back for good...I don't know how but something just clicked in my head (ala Office Space) and I've got to say, it's good to be back. I'm in a mood for typing right now, and I think this could possibly be inspirational to a lot of people out there struggling with the burdens of young male adulthood.

Before I get too far on a tangent, this is part advice column/part self-improvement blog/part story of my life after high school) but I hate labels, so I'm just going to go into it. If you don't want to read it, then piss off. For all those brave souls who dare, go ahead at your own risk.

This whole last semester I've felt very AFC-ish. I was never like that when I first went away to college at the ripe young age of 18.
I had tons of friends, went to a lot of parties (too many in fact--I failed out of my first three semesters) drunken hookups, and more good times than I could shake a stick at. I went nuts. I masterminded a plot to fill a guy's dorm room entirely with newspaper from floor to ceiling. There were broken lights in the common area of my floor (although I wanted to say OUR floor...the aviation community at my old school was very fraternal and close-knit) from playing indoor golf. I had to pay for a sink, although I'm not going to go into too much detail about that. Alas, bad grades forced me to leave.

I left in disgrace but still had my head held high. Fvck the institution. The MAN. Who the hell is going to tell this bold young buck how to live? I live life on my own terms. At least, I did then. And through all of my drunken debauchery I somehow managed to earn my private pilot's license. Not completely a waste.

I moved back home and not long after started dating a cute girl that I always had a crush on in high school and never had the balls to make a move on. Not to say I was sexually inexperienced, but hot girls always got me tongue-tied. You know what's funny? She had a crush on me the whole time, even when I was a chubby nerd with glasses. And everybody says looks are so important. I forgot to mention that I was a fat kid as an adolescent, then decided to lose 50 pounds one summer because I would be god-damned if I was going to live life as a fat person. It's all mind over matter. The Don Juan concept, although I had no clue about this board back then.

This girl, let's call her Cassie, and I ended up moving in together. It lasted about a year. I was 19, almost 20 at the time. It was fun at first, but the charade got old before long. I was sick of working a crappy job where I got no respect to pay rent on "our place" and I didn't feel like being married and stable at 21. She wanted a ring. In the end, she did the actual breaking up so my confidence took a huge hit. I started reading up on SoSuave almost daily. Something still wasn't right. I wasn't the same guy that I once was. I was depressed, but then again I was depressed for a while when I was in the relationship. She was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The whole time I was working full-time I was also taking 12 hours of school to get my financial aid and my parents' support back after my initial failure. Fast forward to where I started this story, last semester, from the outside everything was great. I was back in school, only working for my spending money, living with two of my best friends from high school. But I was still very depressed, anti-social, and awkward. I didn't make any new friends. I made decent grades, however.

What's different now? Nothing, and everything. It's all about inner game. That's the moral of the story. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm a pretty good looking guy. Contrary to popular belief, looks aren't everything. Take away the game, I've got nothing. Feeling like the worst AFC ever. Not even UGs and fatties would look at me.

The mindset, however, is what makes or breaks a person. How do you live your life? Do you sit around feeling sorry for yourself, or do you go out there and do something about it? You only live once.

Are you depressed? Why? Don't tell me it's because you lost your job or your wife or girlfriend left you. That's garbage, to borrow a phrase from OSU head coach Mike Gundy. You can easily replace either one of those. If you sit around and mope about it and quit trying then you have lost a part of yourself, and your time. Being a man is about a lot more than getting women. It's about seeing what you want and making it happen, whatever it is.

As you are sitting on your computer reading this, you are growing closer to your deathbed. Make something of yourself, while you've still got the chance. So enough whining. Get on your feet, soldier. We've got a war to fight. It's called life, love it or hate it.

finiti

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well after reading these forums for quite a few weeks at end, I just registered right now to thank you for your insight. As a college student myself I've sort of looked at my studies as a type of personal hell, that I've got to deal with if I want to make anything of myself. Reading your post, it hit me that I was actually looking for a reason to feel sorry for myself.

So thank you MooseGod (and everyone else) who make this forum such a great place.

Adakkon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post, I've recently tried to turn over a new leaf as far as studies are going. I seriously forgot why I was here at university the past year and I don't want to end up like you did, although my grades aren't failing yet they have been decreasing every semester until now.

That Mike Gundy is one heck of a man, and thats not just because I'm an OSU student :p

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the best saying I got from your post was

You are growing closer to your deathbed. Make something of yourself,

I think everyone should read that part and know that life is finite and you shouldnt squander it.