The One

window

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Does oneitis only occur when the woman withholds / delays sex (and she becomes the prize) or are there other scenarios when perhaps a guy hangs on after the dreaded Ljbf's...

My question is what is the key factor that promotes Oneitis....is it a lack of options ?

Cheers

Christian Troy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe you will get a lot of "Its AFC" responses to this question.

In all seriousness I really think it is due to lack of options...its when you don't have a backup chick that this usually happens.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oneitis has a lot of causes.

what makes oneitis so confusing to most is that they don't consciously seek it out. they will interact with a 99 women and then, for some reason, BAM, they get oneitis for woman number 100.

personally i think a lot of it has to do with factors we aren't even conscious of. a wide mixture of elements that line up just right to capture a man's interest. skin texture / tone, tone of voice, eye color and shape, scent, pheramones, hip to breast ratio, on and on and on.

ultimately oneitis is merely extremely high interest level in a woman.

and oneitis itself isn't necessarily the big problem. the big problem is how men act when they get oneitis - they turn in to idiots.

window

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"oneitis itself isn't necessarily the big problem. the big problem is how men act when they get oneitis - they turn into idiots."

So true...

What are some things that guys do when they are inflicted with the dreaded oneitus...

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
window said:
"oneitis itself isn't necessarily the big problem. the big problem is how men act when they get oneitis - they turn into idiots."

So true...

What are some things that guys do when they are inflicted with the dreaded oneitus...

the biggest and most glaring thing that guys do is they turn a woman into a saint. suddenly EVERYTHING about her is perfect.

guess what, there isnt a 'perfect' human being on the face of the planet.

but to a guy who has oneitis he sees the woman as perfect. as though her sh*t don't stink like the rest of us.

he will abadon his friends, his hobbies, his career, his family, etc. - he will put everything on the back burner attempting to win the 'perfect' woman.

its perhaps the most sad and pathetic state a man can be in - a state of complete delusion.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
and oneitis itself isn't necessarily the big problem. the big problem is how men act when they get oneitis - they turn in to idiots.
I'm glad you pointed this out. Because, even though this site is geared towards pick-ups and one night stands, some guys actually want a relationship with a quality girl. Hell some guys even get MARRIED. And what is marriage but the biggest oneitis of all?

It's like you said, you can have a girl that you like much more than the others, and that is not unhealthy. What is unhealthy is letting that make you needy and AFCish. You have to keep your cool, espeicially with the girls that you are into more than the others. Keeping your cool in a case like this is a good test of your genuine "good guy" DJ skills.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
reset said:
It's like you said, you can have a girl that you like much more than the others, and that is not unhealthy. What is unhealthy is letting that make you needy and AFCish. You have to keep your cool, espeicially with the girls that you are into more than the others. Keeping your cool in a case like this is a good test of your genuine "good guy" DJ skills.

well keeping your cool shouldn't be something you have to work at. it shouldn't be an internal struggle between your DJ side and your AFC side.

the goal is to destroy the AFC side so that all that is left is the DJ side. so that you don't even have to think about how to behave, you just do it.

whats funny is that so many guys have a woman that they would define as 'liking much more than others' and yet they are on here with the desperate 'help me guys' scenarios.

heres a clue to all guys: if you're having situations with your woman where you dont know what to do and have to come asking us for help, then odds are either you or her have some serious maturing yet to do.

a woman who truly is better than most of the rest of them won't bring bullsh*t drama into your life. and if you're 'in love' with a woman who does bring bullsh*t drama in to your life, guess what, you're f*cked, because your idea of 'love' is highly dysfunctional.

:)

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, for me at least, keeping my cool hasn't been a problem, unless until I start to really get some feelings. That's when my thinking gets a little foggy. I'm learning to draw it out even longer though. Because that used to be my default state. I never said I had mastered this stuff.

jophil28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
window said:
"

Some signs and symptoms of ONEITIS in progress-
You are afraid to say" no" to her.
You seek her approval by trying to impress her.
You buy her a lot stuff but she does not return the generosity.
You are willing to drop everything when she wants to see you.
You are the only one who initiates sex, and you use sex as a Proving Ground to try to impress her.
You listen with a lot of empathy to her 'victim stories'.
You silently tolerate her withdrawal of sex when she is moody.
You start to believe her blaming you for any problems.
YOu jump at the chance of getting back together after she calls you following a breakup.

You need to hear more ? Are you puking yet ?

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
window said:
Does oneitis only occur when the woman withholds / delays sex (and she becomes the prize) or are there other scenarios when perhaps a guy hangs on after the dreaded Ljbf's...
...there's another entirely different scenario. The AFC has 1-itis for a woman he's never even spoken with. Think of the introverted dude at work who oogles over a HB way out of his range. He will probably never even talk to her or at best just say "Hi". You can bet he's fantasizing about her, jerkin' off to her, etc, etc, etc. That too is 1-itis.

window said:
My question is what is the key factor that promotes Oneitis....is it a lack of options ?
Nope, underneath the belief that there is only one for him (ie scarcity) or that he has high standards (related to scarcity) is his deep rooted fear of rejection. Let's say a guy has no fear of rejection and has approached other women in the past. Then it won't take him long to ask out someone else because he *knows* the planet earth is filled with billions of *options*. Eventually a woman will respond, he'll date (ie spin plates) and the 1-itis will at least be diminished. But the fear of rejection, it's literally paralysing. By focusing on just one and then not daring to advance (out of fear of rejection) he sets himself up for this self-defeating scenario. Guys who fear rejection are far more prone to 1-itis. It's a scapegoat and rationalization for their sad state to begin with.

window said:
...easy, they actually act feminine! They are supplicative, indirect, covert, emotional, etc, etc, etc.

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
a woman who truly is better than most of the rest of them won't bring bullsh*t drama into your life. and if you're 'in love' with a woman who does bring bullsh*t drama in to your life, guess what, you're f*cked, because your idea of 'love' is highly dysfunctional.

ch-CHING! wish i'd known this at 20 :D

jophil28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
heres a clue to all guys: if you're having situations with your woman where you dont know what to do and have to come asking us for help, then odds are either you or her have some serious maturing yet to do.

YEp !

jophil28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
well keeping your cool shouldn't be something you have to work at. it shouldn't be an internal struggle between your DJ side and your AFC side.
IT stops being a struggle when all that DJ practise starts to 'gel' in your brain like silicone sealant..

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
reset said:
And what is marriage but the biggest oneitis of all?

Whoa there: NO NO NO!

Oneitis is an illness, mental illness, if you will. It is a delusional thought disorder where one misperceives the true value of the other. Things she says and does are misperceived. It is also a form of obsessive thought disorder whereby the focus is so intense it blots out other cues which denote the reality of the situation.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear you, I'm just saying, at some point the plate spinning stops and you choose to commit. Maybe oneitis isn't the word for that.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
One-itis is really just love unrequited. I don't think there's anything wrong with being really into one girl if she's giving and good to you.

I think in most cases of one-itis, you have a guy who is totally crazy about a girl and she has never even had sex with him and never will. She lead him on until he formed an one-itis and she'll continue to lead him on.

window

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Girls know when you have oneitus for them...one thing I've found is that deep down you really aren't that attracted to them and this is translated through your actions. As soon as the spell dissapears you look back and think what the fck was I thinking...

I think girls intuit your genuine lack of attraction and hence start playing the games that promote oneitus. They withdraw.

The trick is to recognise the spell when it comes over you.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We fling around terms like AFC, PUA, Neg Hits, C&F, etc. like so much hash in our little restaurant, all having a basic understanding of what really amount to some very subjective ideas. The term AFC is one these abstract ideas that we've given a name to. We all know exactly what an Average Frustrated Chump is, because we've experienced being one at one time; we only needed a convenient name for that condition. We know what we are and we know the associated behaviors and mindsets that make a person an AFC, but the conditions are subject to interpretation. Likewise I think ONEitis is a term similar to AFC and means different things to different people.

ketostix said:
One-itis is really just love unrequited. I don't think there's anything wrong with being really into one girl if she's giving and good to you.
This isn't the first time i've read crap like this before (no offense KETOSIX) - ONEitis is OK if you're in an LTR. Not only is this wrong, it's has even more potential of life-long catastrophic consequences within an LTR.

I think there's been a mischaracterization of ONEitis. The common perception of of ONEitis is the definition that the PUA community has given it (i.e. the ONE girl you can't seem to get past). However, it's necessary to differentiate between a healthy relationship based on mutual respect and a lopsided ONEitis based relationship, even when it has the best of intentions. In my estimation ONEitis is an unhealthy psychological dependency that is the direct result of a continuous socialization of the soulmate myth in pop culture.

This western romanticized mythology is based on the premise that there is only ONE perfect mate for any single individual and as much as a lifetime can and should be spent in constant search of this 'soulmate.' So strong and so pervasive is this myth in our collective society that it has become akin to a religious statement and in fact has been integrated into many religious doctrines as feminization of western culture has spread.

I come to the conclusion that ONEitis is based in sociological roots, not only due to it being a statement of personal belief, but by the degree to which this ideology is disseminated and marketed in popular culture in media, music, literature, movies, etc. Dating services like eHarmony shamelessly marketeer and exploit exactly the insecurities that this dynamic engenders in people desperately searching for the ONE they were intended for. The idea that men possess a natural capacity for protection provision and monogamy has merit from both a social and bio-psychological standpoint, but I think that ONEitis was never a byproduct of it. Rather, I would set it apart from this healthy protector/provider dynamic since ONEitis essentially sabotages what our natural propensities would otherwise filter.

ONEitis is insecurity run amok while a person is single, and potentially paralyzing when coupled with the object of that ONEitis in an LTR. The same neurotic desperation that drives a person to settle for their ONE whether healthy or unhealthy is the same insecurity that paralyzes them from abandoning a damaging relationship - This is their ONE and how could they ever live without them? Or they're my ONE, but all I need is to fix myself or them to have my idealized relationship. And this idealization of a relationship is at the root of ONEitis. With such a limiting, all-or-nothing binary approach to searching for ONE needle in the haystack over the course of a lifetime, how do we mature into a healthy understanding of what that relationship really entails? This then draws up conflicts in identity both in and out of an LTR. Am I who I say I am or am I the result of meeting internalized expectations of what my ONE expects me to be?

The very pollyannish idealized relationship - the "happily ever after" - that belief in a ONE promotes as an ultimate end is thwarted and contradicted by the costs of the constant pursuit of the ONE for which they'll settle for. After the better part of a lifetime invested in this ideology, how much more difficult will it be to come to the realization that the person they're with isn't their ONE? To what extents wil a person go to in order to protect a lifetime of this ego investment? Men regularly commit suicide when confronted with this proposition after years of striving to conform to idealizations like this.

The other problem I have with the PUA community definition of ONEITIS is that it completely ignores the Cardinal Rule of Relationships:

In any relationship, whether romantic, business or familial, the person with the most power is the one who needs the other the least.

At some point in a ONEitis relationship one participant will establish dominance based on the powerlessness that this ONEitis necessitates. There is no greater agency for a woman than to empirically know that she is the only source of a man's need for sex and intimacy. ONEitis only cements this into the understanding of both parties in an LTR. For a man who believes that the emotionally and psychologically damaging relationship he has ego-invested himself into believing is with the only person in his lifetime he's ever going to be compatable with, there is nothing more paralyzing. The same of course holds true for women and this is why we shake our heads when the beautiful HB 9 goes chasing back to her abusive and indifferent Jerk boyfriend, because she believes he is her ONE and the only source of security available to her.

The definition of power is not financial success, status or influence over others, but the degree to which we have control over our own lives. Subscribing to the soulmate mythology necessitates that we recognize powerlessness in this area of our lives. Better I think it would be to foster an understanding that there is no ONE. There are some good Ones and there are some bad Ones, but there is no ONE. For far too long, women have ego-invested themselves, and now men as well, in this mythology as a means to counter what at times I'm sure seems a hopless quest for an idealized relationship. It's much easier to believe that there's someone "out there" specially made to be with you than to constatly face the fear of rejection. To those who believe this, saying that there is no ONE is like saying there is no God; it is perceived as iconoclastic and nihilistic, but it doesn't have to be.

I've been married for almost 10 years now and I definitely recognize my role as protector/provider for my wife and daughter. I wont deny that I have an impulse to be the provider and leader of my home, but I know damn well that as much as I love my wife and we are a 'good fit' that were she to die or leave for some reason that I could find another 'good fit'. I don't have a ONEitis insecure relationship with my wife and in fact, I'd say that if I were to adopt this ideology nothing would drive her respect for my down more.

In the absence of power the other person will assume the dominante role. For proven biological and psychological evidence, women want a man to be that protector as well as the leader, the decision maker and the authority because of an overwhelming need for long term security. If a woman perceives that a man's ability to provide this security is in doubt, she will step into the vaccuum that he is unable or unwilling to assume. This is why you see the predominance of women as the 'head of household" these days; the husband can't be trusted to provide this security so she will grab the steering wheel from him and drive the family. ONEitis is the single greatest contributor to exactly this male sense of powerlessness. By it's very nature ONEitis is disempowering because it removes (or severely lessens) from a person control of their own lives.

Moonlight

Banned
Reaction score
jophil28 said:
Some signs and symptoms of ONEITIS in progress-
You are afraid to say" no" to her.
You seek her approval by trying to impress her.
You buy her a lot stuff but she does not return the generosity.
You are willing to drop everything when she wants to see you.
You are the only one who initiates sex, and you use sex as a Proving Ground to try to impress her.
You listen with a lot of empathy to her 'victim stories'.
You silently tolerate her withdrawal of sex when she is moody.
You start to believe her blaming you for any problems.
YOu jump at the chance of getting back together after she calls you following a breakup.

You need to hear more ? Are you puking yet ?
:crackup: