The Instant Eww

lyracis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Something that happened quite a few times in my past was the following:

I'm dating a girl, it all seems to be going well, basking in afterglow I say something like "I really like you", a long silence follows and the girl changes the subject. The next morning she acts distant, stops returning my calls and I am left wondering what the hell just happened. I mean surely she feels the same way and if so what's the big deal?

I learnt from the experience and learnt to keep my big mouth shut but it always confused me how four small words could scare off a girl.

The other day I read an article by David D which offered an insight on this. To him expressing feelings for a girl triggered a feeling of revulsion in girls he called the "Instant Eww" and basically messed up your chances with her.

The problem is that girls are always thinking about the future in any relationship. They are always asking themselves where is this going.

When you say something like "I really like you" or otherwise communicate how you feel it messes things up and puts the girl in an awkward situation. You've created a turning point in the relationship. She interprets it as you pressuring her to take the relationship to the next level. And she freaks out. And ends things.

Before she felt that as you hadn't said anything then it wasn't serious, even though she knew you wanted her. So she was content to stick around with you until either she fell for you or found someone she liked better. In other words stringing you along.

And of course the problem is she does not feel the same way. If she did she would have probably said so already. Of course you may think she feels the same way. But that is probably a product of the male ego and the acting abilities of the female of the species.

girls will always decide where the relationship is going, as men all we have is the opt out clause (dump her ass). That is why it is best to play it cool until she makes it clear that she wants to take things to the next level.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think alot of us have been through this. You think if a girl is sleeping with you for some time, she must have *some* feelings for you, right? Wrong!

So how long do you wait? If you've been dating for some time, it should be exclusive, don't you think? My guess is that this girl must have been sleeping or dating more guys than just yourself. These are typically the girls you want to stay away from in the first place.

I think we place too much emphasis on pleasing the girl and what she wants. Don't say this, or that. This will piss her off or cause her to flake etc.

What about us? Shouldn't the girl be trying to please us? Aren't we the prize? She should be saying these four words to you, not the other way around.

Some girls are so full of themselves (just like some guys). You say you like them and they automatically assume you are love with them. It doesn't help when other guys are always professing their love to them too early and too often.

dice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
excellent post its so true, when a girl knows she has your heart its all over

lyracis

Don Juan
Reaction score
tmpgskx:

Ah yes the exclusive thing. In the UK used to go out with one person at a time. But with all the US TV girls watch they suddenly think it is ok to date and sleep with multiple guys until it is clear that you are in a relationship (whenever the hell that is). If you say you want to be exclusive they call you possessive. They will only want to be exclusive if they get the feeling you are sleeping with other girls so they want you for themselves. Basically it is for girls who want to have their cake and eat it. But nowadays most hot girls come into that category.

I'm yet to figure it out so I stay away from those type of girls if Im looking for a relationship. Usually I can tell if they are playing that game. They see you once or twice a week (leaving other nights free for girly nights out or dating other men). They kiss you, sleep with you etc but there is none of the affection or clinginess that indicates bonding has taken place. And they don't say anything about their emotional feelings only the attraction they feel for you.

The truth is they are stringing you along. They realise this and that is why when you place pressure on them by saying how you feel they realise the game is up and disappear.

The problem as I said is most girls behave like that at first and the question is how long do you put up with it before moving on?

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Way to spell it out ..that's it in a nutshell. They are stringing you along. Most girls i've met are like this .. only a select few that i know aren't and they are taken as in married!

How long? Just so long as you only like the sex i suppose.

lyracis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep. I came to this site looking for a LTR but instead it seems I've learnt how to attract hot girls and keep them attracted so they WANT to keep stringing me along. It all seems rather soulless. Most relationships seem to be based on mutual attraction and little else.

knowbull

Banned
Reaction score
Whenever a girl says "I really like you" or "I like you so much," do not reciprocate. Unless it's a reciprocal slap to the face.

lyracis

Don Juan
Reaction score
knowbull couldn't agree more. A lot of girls will say stuff like that as a test to try and gauge how you feel about them.

I think David D has the right idea when he says to reply to **** like that with ****y funny

e.g.
girl: I really like you
you: I know (with a smirk)

Then if she pressurises you to say it back then she is still not really sure whether you mean it.

Public_eNemy

Banned
Reaction score
It gives the girl some sort of control over the relationship (at least she interprets it that way) and then your lost.