The Importance of Being Involved in HS

Jerky Boi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I don't post in here very often anymore but after the first few weeks of my Senior year, I've realized something very important to all you fellow High Schoolers..

Popularity..what is it and who decides what's popular? To me, it's just a select group of kids who run every organization and are active in just about everything. "What was that you said Jerky? Clubs make people popular?"

To a certain extent, most of the people that are considered popular in school are usually involved in numerous activities. Sports, Drama, Student Council, Key Club, Newspaper, Yearbook..the list goes on and on. No no no..by no means am I saying this is what makes everyone popular. Some people just are. Let's face it. There are always gonna be a few naturals everywhere. But if you're one of those people that thrive on trying to become popular, I suggest you get more active in school and meet some new people. For example, this year I'm part of the Tatler(school newspaper) Drama Club, Wrestling, Key Club, Crimestoppers, NHS officer, and I help out with Student Council. Some of the people I used to think we're snobs and were just st00pid aren't actually that bad. And believe me, it does make you a lot more prouder and popular when you actually feel like you're apart from the school.

I used to tell myself, "Ya know, I hate school. It's soo boring." Geez, I wonder why..it's because I didn't do anything besides go to school and go home! It was a continuous cycle everyday.

Probably the biggest thing I've learned so far in my HS years is to cherish it. Believe it or not guys, these are the best years of your life. I know some of you would argue but I believe whole heartedly it's true. The countown to settling down and working a real job gets closer every minute. The real world isn't going to be kind and I'm not in too big of a hurry to jump in. So everyone, make an effort to make the best of your years in HS. You'll miss them later.

Pfeile

Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally agree, and I realised this all too late. I finish my Senior year on Thursday, come back to do my final exams in late October, and then that's it. I discovered this site 14 months ago now, and despite all the advice I read to 'get involved' I didn't, and I really regret it now.

So to everyone out there in High School still, get involved TODAY. Don't put it off. Because I kept on putting off getting involved in activities at and outside of school, and now it is too late. And regret is the worst feeling in the world.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am in my last year, and you are absolutely correct. By now, its very hard to change my reputation, which unfortunately is not too great. If I could change a single thing about my highschool years, it would be to get involved in as many clubs and teams as I could. That would change everything.

I tried to join debate, but everyone already knows everybody, and its impossible to find a partner. Football team - I am way behind schedule, should have joined in grade 9. But I'm still way more involved than I used to be.

Im sure you have the intercom system, over which they announce public notices every day. Well, listen to those. Thats right! "Members of the human rights club meet at 12:15 in room 207". Get your ass there! (Or whatever organization you want)

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whew dodged that bullet

I was always involved in sports and clubs because it was just what I wanted to do and sounded interesting. i know people that are sitting there and saying "life sucks" but you know what they are sitting there doing nothing with it waiting for someone to do something for them. These people hate school but I love it.

I am making the most of it right now. Guys take advantage of this time of freedom because we only get it once and it will be gone forever.

Get involved and good luck

PiHiPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definately,

After school i always have a great time with people that i wouldn't have met if it wasn't for a curricular. I'm in the school comedy troupe. Plus after a show or 2 the people you don't know will come up to you and tell you how funny are you... how awesome is that?

School kicks ass.

Pfeile

Don Juan
Reaction score
HS really is what you make it. I noticed too that those people who couldn't wait to finish and didn't enjoy there time here, were the ones who never got involved in anything. It really is entirely up to you, whether you enjoy HS or not.

smokez01

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is my last year in high school and i think i am more involved than ever

i am in the Marine Science club, and i am doing two sports at one time, ctross country and swimming, this is my third year doing swimming and my 1st with XC, i am decent at both, it may sound stupid but i like the two of them so much,

I am going to try out for the soccer team and hopefully make the cuts, and it will be my 2nd year running track,

To be 100% honest with you, i wish i started all of these events when i was a freshman,

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree being Involved is very important, but just being involved is not enough. You can be in 10 clubs and be miserable if you don't work at it, or be in no clubs and be happy.

It all has to do with how hard you work to meet people. Do stuff outside of school also.

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's all in the mindset.

I would beg to differ but I suppose I'm an exception to the general rules of popularity. I don't believe in popularity.