The hardest thing I've ever done: Squat 230x21 RAW (video)

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This has been, by and far, the most painful experience I've ever had at a gym: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PsYsjiw28Ms

I actually lost count early on and ended up doing 21 reps instead of 20. As you'll see in the video I almost collapsed after the 20th rep - I just felt my whole body nearly give out for a couple seconds.

I've done 140x20 and 160x20 in the past few weeks, but then I read about the "widowmakers" and after seeing Jesse Marunde's 405x20 video I realized it wasn't about just doing 20 quick reps, so I decided to try my hand at 2 plates, which is just slightly below my 10RM.

Anyway, this is after roughly 7 months of training. When I started Rippetoe I could barely rep 150x5

Let me know what you guys think!

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know you got the catch bars, but I'd still recommend kidnapping a spotter ;)

Thats crazy though man. I'm doing 185x20 right now, probably could add another 10-15lbs. Glad to see I'm not the only one whos out of breath after these

BTW: What software you use to edit your video?

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Serious progress man in 7 months. Good work! :box:

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good job.

Widowmakers are great. They start off easy, then you get to 10 with quite a bit of effort...then you realise you have to get to 20. Ah...

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice! Most I've ever done is 185 x 20, legs were shaky afterwards.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand your numbers ? are you using 2.5 plates ? if so why ?

and where can i find that video of Jesse Marunde's 405 widowmakers ?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude that's nuts,full motion squats with alot of weight & alot of reps! Congrats! Now if only my lower back was strong enough to support full motion squats like that...

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
I know you got the catch bars, but I'd still recommend kidnapping a spotter ;)

Thats crazy though man. I'm doing 185x20 right now, probably could add another 10-15lbs. Glad to see I'm not the only one whos out of breath after these

BTW: What software you use to edit your video?
Nah, the only time I'll ever use a spotter is if I'm trying to max on bench. There'd be no point in getting a spotter for a 20 rep set anyway IMO. Maybe I just like to go solo :D

Drum&Bass said:
I don't understand your numbers ? are you using 2.5 plates ? if so why ?

and where can i find that video of Jesse Marunde's 405 widowmakers ?
No, but the collars are 2.5lbs each, hence the 230.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPAtisk9hFA

Everyone else - thanks! 2 days later and my legs are still sore .. I never get sore doing squats :cool:

Durden Tyler

Don Juan
Reaction score
Balls to the wall man! :up:

My legs are sore after watching that....

And, I must say, what an excellent choice of music!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm curious why you are doing 20 reps?

I am about to hit 225 x 5 next time I am at the gym, but give me a month I'll get up there with ya

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oxide said:
I'm curious why you are doing 20 reps?

I am about to hit 225 x 5 next time I am at the gym, but give me a month I'll get up there with ya
It really wears you out and makes you grow. No idea why, scientifically speaking. There's no real explanation other than pushing yourself to the limit and your body making the necessary adjustments to deal with the stress. But once you do a real 20 rep squat (not just a weight you can squat 20x, but your 10RM for 20 reps), everything else at the gym will seem trivial. Make no mistake after a 20 rep widowmaker set you won't be able to do much of anything else in the gym that day. I only do them about once a month, but they're helping me get through my plateaus.

Hockey Playa said:
yes im am also curious of benefits of 20 reps?

BTW i thought squatting past 90 degrees was bad for your knees:
Yes and no. Some "studies" say it is, others say it's not. It depends on the person and what they're comfortable with. Some can only go parallel before they experience pain. Some can't even hit parallel. Some can go so low their ass almost hits the ground. For me, a couple inches below parallel is ideal. Anything lower and my back rounds/hurts, anything higher and my knees hurt.

Durden Tyler said:
Balls to the wall man! :up:

My legs are sore after watching that....

And, I must say, what an excellent choice of music!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Thanks man! Disturbed is definitely my favorite workout music :rockon:

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Checking out your myspace it looks like you gained a ton of weight in a short period of time.

Are you naturally a mesomorph? Whats your routine? Diet? Before/after pictures?

Congrats on the achievements :)

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice work bro. I love watching these videos. They are great motivation.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do 15-20 reps for every singe exercise I do on legs day except abductors/adductors which I do 12 of. Leg presses at 20 reps are excruciating and sometimes you can end up puking they are so intense. Legs are one of the few days that people who come and work out with me for a day usually regret.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TheNewGuy said:
Checking out your myspace it looks like you gained a ton of weight in a short period of time.

Are you naturally a mesomorph? Whats your routine? Diet? Before/after pictures?

Congrats on the achievements :)
I'm an ectomorph. Body type is irrelevant though.

Here's my journal, the first post is the routine I was on for about 5 months: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=892878

Here's my current routine (starting on page 5) : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=12485430&postcount=142

Before/after pics: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=923892

(not totally current - I'm bigger now, but it gives you the idea)

Hockey Playa said:
Widowmaker's are doing 20 reps at your 10 rm, or a whole diff exercise?
The first thing you said.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 Questions:
-doing 20 reps at your 10 rm, doesnt that contradict itself? because its supposed to be your 10 rep maximum, yet u pulled off 20..what do you define as 10 Rm, little confused
-U say u do 20 reps for most of your legs. Does that mean you do 3 sets of 20 for each exercise? or your last set is 20? or you only do one set of 20?