The Art of Phone Openers

Bud Wiser

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Fingers
I met another girl on the street. Opened her by asking where I could find a cologne shop. (Girls not only love to give directions, but are taken by a man who is not afraid to ask for them!) She showed me the way and we walked together for a bit. I asked where she was headed. She told me she was going to Dance class. Turns out she is a dance instructor. I was like "Cool!" We started vibing on the whole dance tip and I told her how much I love music and for me dancing is like the ultimate meditiation. I had the most fun talking to her. She put me on to where some of the lesser known clubs are at and I gave her a pen and paper to write down the addresses of the clubs with directions. She volunteered her number at the very bottom and said I should call her for a dancer's night out. I thanked her, gave her a kiss on the cheek and bounced. That week was hectic, so I didn't call her back until the following weekend. This is how it went down.
Guys, this is a great real-world example of the DJ approach as expounded in the Tao of Steve:

"Be without desire. Be wonderful. And then, be gone."

Mr. Fingers also mentioned that it's important to keep it all in context. And that means that you need to listen carefully to what that HB says and get at least a basic understanding of what she's about so you can personalize your approach.

Great job, Mr. Fingers!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be without desire. Be wonderful. And then, be gone.

Wow, a lot of great things in one quote.

Heart Of Stone

Don Juan
Reaction score
ME: Hey lady
HER: Hi!
ME: What are you doing right now
HER: blah blah blah
ME: (Interrupting her)ZZZzzzZZZzzz
HER: Hey!
ME: *snort* Wha? Huh? Oh sorry...ummm...Wanna do something fun for a change?

Overall a good post, but this doesn't sound like a good idea. This will lower a woman's interest level in you.

The mistake here is that you're telling her that you think her passions and values aren't worth a shyt.

You might want to re-think that one.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'd use it. fvck, if a girl keeps on babbling about stupid stuff, id just say "hey, this is where you say something sexy or funny " ..

Mr. Fingers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bud Wiser,
That is an excellent quote! I haven't seen that film because I thought it would be Grade B cheese, but you have definitely piqued my curiosity here. Looks like it's a Blockbuster night for Fingers! Any other flick or book recommendations? If so, then respond to my Gifts of Knowledge post

Originally posted by Oxide
i'd use it. fvck, if a girl keeps on babbling about stupid stuff, id just say "hey, this is where you say something sexy or funny " ..
:p hehe..consider it stolen buddy!

Heart of Stone,

These are not one-size-fits-all approaches. Like I said before, all these lines are context-sensitive. I already had a joking/ball-busting rapport with this girl and she was eating it up! When I interrupted her, she wasn't talking about her passions and values, it was more like what she ate that day, what time she took her dog out etc..She really was boring me so instead of saying "Gee, wow, that sounds cool!" I made a joke out of it, and she laughed with me.

You do raise a valid point. I think from now on I will always provide a little background info with each example to show the context cuz alot of newbies will read into this too much and follow the lines verbatim. The best asset you can acquire in your game is to be fluid and able to constantly change your approach, because no two girls or situations are ever the same! For example, I would not have used this line on the dancer-chick because it doesn't fit in the scheme of things. It is hard for me to explain...something that can only be learned by trial and error. Fukking up is the best way to learn if you have the right attitude! Just like I fuct up by not including the specific scenario on that example, I am glad you questioned me because now I will be a better poster for it. Ya feel me?

Knicknack

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i met a girl in a club and one of the details i remembered about her was what college she went to. i got her number and gave her a call a couple days later...

Her: Hello...
Me: I'm looking for this cute girl that goes to So-and-So college, is she in?
Her: *laughs quite a bit....* ummm, i don't know, this is xxx
Me: Hey this is xxx, how are you...

she loved the opener... no hesitation in accepting my offer to take her out :)

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, lets see what you guys got.

here is the setting.

gas station FREEDOM. the chick is pumping gas and is frustrated that it is takign so long, i look over and it says "SLOW PUMP", so i make a joke about that to her. i ask her what she is doign tonite and she says she is going to see Charilies Angels. i get the digits and drive off.

i never got her name, so im coming up with a good opener, and i want you guys to show me how you'd play it.

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
Give us more dirt, Ox

What joke did you make to her? What was her reaction? Was it a cell number? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TELL US WHAT THE **** HAPPENED??!!

heehee, I luv drama

:D

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronny, look outside that is where girls are.... :eek:

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
Out-s-i-d-e? hmmm. Why does that word sound so familiar?

And why do I detect a hint of sarcasm when I was trying to gather notes to help your sorry ass out? Well, I was gonna help you with a stroke of genius but you can forget it now! I must explore this o-u-t-s-i-d-e you speak of...

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
have fun bro, im out to have fun too.

ASav

Don Juan
Reaction score
:D Fingers has the answers. And an altruistic soul he is. He certainly doesn't need to be here. He is here to help out those who don't know out of sheer kindness! Note: I am dead serious here, he has it spot on. Might as well just read his posts and if you can't figure out that his advice is not a script then you need to get back to the bible and then come back over here.

Peace folks and great job Fingers. :cool:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i understand what he says, and i do it as do many DJs on this board.

but helping people here is a great feeling as well.:p

Mr. Fingers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
knickknack
That was great! Consider it stolen! :D

ASav
This place has taught me so much I feel I must pass that energy along to the next generation of players. PLus I really enjoy writing in case you haven´t noticed. :) Glad you dig my steez dawg! p.s.- how are those travel plans coming along?

Oxide
Great advice. I am shutting down and going outside to enjoy some real life!

ASav

Don Juan
Reaction score
knickknack
That was great! Consider it stolen! :D

ASav
This place has taught me so much I feel I must pass that energy along to the next generation of players. PLus I really enjoy writing in case you haven´t noticed. :) Glad you dig my steez dawg! p.s.- how are those travel plans coming along?

Oxide
Great advice. I am shutting down and going outside to enjoy some real life!
Tentative but workable. I'm thinking of waiting until February to get my bonus then quitting and driving around the country for a few months to end up in Alaska by the summer.

I don't know if I'll last at my job much longer though so I am looking for another. No worries though, this too shall pass. It will all come together in the right way in the end. It always does. :)

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Whatever you do, don't worry about scoring! Flirt with her, touch her, have a blast and all the while, imagine me cheering for you from a thousand miles away..because I am!

Go get 'em Tiger!

Mr. Fingers
Ya know, believe it or not, imagining you cheering for me is very inspirational. It's as if someone always believes in me, even when I don't.

Dude, that monkey call was gold.
I'm all for it. If you can't show your lighter side without the chick thinking you're an idiot, then the chick is nothing more than a piece of cardboard with a mean face scrawled on it. :mad:

*imagines Fingers flailing pom-poms for me in slow motion*

Reaction score
very nice! I like that........its innovative, yet charming. Good job Fingers. Also instead of acting like you are dosing off, you can also say abruptly..."HUh? what? were you still talking to me?"

Jay_VCU

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Knicknack
i met a girl in a club and one of the details i remembered about her was what college she went to. i got her number and gave her a call a couple days later...

Her: Hello...
Me: I'm looking for this cute girl that goes to So-and-So college, is she in?
Her: *laughs quite a bit....* ummm, i don't know, this is xxx
Me: Hey this is xxx, how are you...

she loved the opener... no hesitation in accepting my offer to take her out :)
I'm using that today. LOL!!