The afc's real problem

oldschool

Don Juan
Reaction score
Women usually go for the dj over the afc, it's a fact of life. But what do names like dj and afc really mean. Is it that afc's have never read this site, or been told the "secret" of what women want? No, some people are just natural afc's, much like some people are natural dj's. Some people can read this site, take the message to heart, and they'll still be an afc.

The afc's real problem isn't lack of knowledge, it's the fact that he is dependent on others. An afc doesn't go out and make friends, he waits for them to just appear. What friends the afc has, male or female, he's constantly trying to please. He won't take risks because he fears being rejected. He'll measure himself by how many women he's slept with. He'll become infatuated with a woman, even one well below his standards, because deep down he needs her. He doesn't think he can do better. And if his friends are busy, the afc will stay home alone, never venturing out to discover new friends and experiences. The afc dreams of finding true love someday.

The dj, on the other hand, is independent. He can make his own friends, and he doesn't have to worry about pleasing them. The dj won't "fall in love" at the drop of a hat, or try to justify himself to others by telling them all the women he's slept with. The dj doesn't dream about true love, he dreams about personal goals, things he wants for himself, not things he wants to show to others. He doesn't need a true love to be happy, the dj is happy with himself.

Obviously, the dj is much more fun to hang out with. The poor afc tries so hard, but has little success. What is the real reason for the afc's dependance?

LACK OF CONFIDENCE

Every mistake the afc makes boils down to lack of confidence in himself. Have you ever seen a dj get bullied, physically or mentally? No. You know why? Because the dj has some self confidence. He may be overmatched at times, he may get beaten up and pushed down, but the dj will always fight back. (I don't neccesarily mean fight in the physical sense, but if it comes down to it, the dj will defend himself.) Nobody wins every fight, sometimes you can't control the outcome. But if you let people walk all over you, that is 100% your fault. Bullies won't pick on people who fight back.

Back to the afc, he is finally on a date. He remembers everything he's read on this site. Everything seems fine. Then, all of the sudden, the woman tries to challenge him. The afc still remembers all of his dj tactics. He knows he cannot let the woman push him around, but he is afraid that he just can't get another woman of her caliber. Better just go along with what she says.

The afc's lack of confidence has ruined things again. He obviously could attract women, he was out on a date wasn't he? But he chalks that up to luck. I was lucky to have the chance he thinks, I should have been nicer or funnier or something. Really, he should have stood up for himself.

Don't get me wrong, all the tips on this website are great, but it can be done different ways. The one characteristic a dj absolutely has to have is confidence. Stylish clothes, fancy haircuts, and huge muscles don't equal confidence. Having these things is great, but have them because you want them, not because you need them to convince yourself you're a dj.

GAINING CONFIDENCE

Confidence is trusting in your abilities. When you do that is doesn't matter what other people think. Getting money, women, or fame won't bring confidence. These things may seem to bring confidence with them, but they just improve other people's views of who you are. Real confidence doesn't require "getting things". Because you are confident that you can, you don't have to prove it. If you aren't confident until you achieve something, you had to prove your abilities to yourself. This isn't the way to gain self confidence. You don't have to constantly prove yourself. Remember:

You can never be perfect, but you can never be a complete failure, either.

Don't always be negative

Don't assume your opinions are true. Just because you think you are ugly doesn't mean you are. There are people who look better than you and there are people who look worse.

Think about your strengths. Everyone is good at something.

Don't be afraid to take risks. In some situations, by not taking risks you are walking into failure. So what if the woman doesn't give you her number? If you don't ask you won't get it anyway.

There is always something to improve. Don't think you'll be happy once you attain a goal, if you aren't happy now you probably won't be happy then.

sux2bu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The afc's real problem?

One word: FEAR.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that may be your problem sux, but some afcs are thick as shyt too - the ones who supplicate etc

Originally posted by pook:

Oh, we are undone! The forum, that was our salvation, is now destroying us!

But what is the purpose of writing and reading? Every now and then, as common as it is seen almost weekly, appears a tip from a freshly registered member that says,

"H3LLO GENT5LMEN! U NEED CONF7IDENCE TO GET DA WOAHMAN!"

Immediately, I pick up the Pook phone and call Allen's top secret number. "Allen! Did you read that tip? It is about confidence! Who would have thought!?"

Allen puts forth the emergency meeting. All the elder Don Juans meet in the super secret forum (that no one knows!) as we react to this discovery.

"Getting women has something to do with CONFIDENCE? Why, who would have thought!?" says one.

"Not I!" said an elder Don Juan. "Confidence is needed to get women? Incredible tip!"

"The tip will alter people's lives," one solemny declared. "Until that newbie poster spoke, no one knew about confidence!"

oldschool

Don Juan
Reaction score
haha :rolleyes:

I realize I'm not saying anything new here, but who is? I think some people are too worried about stratagies and are overlooking this. I was simply trying to remind them.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
heh

i think it was a pretty good summing up post. i didn't take anything out of it, since i've heard the stuff before, but it's always good for you to express your thoughts. it makes the ideas clearer in your head.

i tried writing some stuff just to get my ideas out. came to about 10000words lol, but it made everything a lot clearer for me.

sux2bu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the majority of the AFC's problem can be traced back to Stage('s): 5 and 6 of Erickson's theory on human development:

Stage 5: Adolescence -- Age 12 to 18

Crisis: Identity vs. Role Confusion

Description: This is the time when we ask the question "Who am I?" To successfully answer this question, Erikson suggests, the adolescent must integrate the healthy resolution of all earlier conflicts. Did we develop the basic sense of trust? Do we have a strong sense of independence, competence, and feel in control of our lives? Adolescents who have successfully dealt with earlier conflicts are ready for the "Identity Crisis", which is considered by Erikson as the single most significant conflict a person must face.

Positive outcome: If the adolescent solves this conflict successfully, he will come out of this stage with a strong identity, and ready to plan for the future.

Negative outcome: If not, the adolescent will sink into confusion, unable to make decisions and choices, especially about vocation, sexual orientation, and his role in life in general.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 6: Young Adulthood -- Age 19 to 40

Crisis: Intimacy vs. Isolation

Description: In this stage, the most important events are love relationships. No matter how successful you are with your work, said Erikson, you are not developmentally complete until you are capable of intimacy. An individual who has not developed a sense of identity usually will fear a committed relationship and may retreat into isolation.

Positive outcome: Adult individuals can form close relationships and share with others if they have achieved a sense of identity.

Negative outcome: If not, they will fear commitment, feel isolated and unable to depend on anybody in the world.

Again, fear is the byproduct of sedentary action; however, inaction is a direct result of fear. Therein lies the paradox. This is the first thing you learn in psychology 101! ;)

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting post.

I do think (in my case at least) AFC behaviour has a lot to do with lack of knowledge and experience, or brainwashing. I always used to play up the sweet, sensitive and romantic image with women, taking tips from the likes of Leonardo DeCaprio in Titanic or like Clark Kent in Smallville. I'm not actually like either, but I used to believe this is what women go for.

I'd still be doing it now if I hadn't found this site and learned the error of my ways. For me all it really took to drop my AFC habits was the knowledge that I was doing wrong.

Fallen

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd still be doing it now if I hadn't found this site and learned the error of my ways. For me all it really took to drop my AFC habits was the knowledge that I was doing wrong.

True True. Same goes for me. The moment when all of a sudden it made "click". Looking back i wonder how i ever got any girls at all with that behavior :)

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amen, DIrtheart, Amen

HappyHobo

Banned
Reaction score
old school your info youspit out at us has been recycled among this site so many times.

But i will give you credit for giving us your own point of view on it and in your own words.

For future reference if you are going to post something that has been rehashed so many times make sure you put that it is your own interpretation.

DB9

Don Juan
Reaction score
bump

I think this deserves a bump.

Brains&Instinct

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a Don Juan should in principle be very simple. It actually comes down to some very basic stuff, if you can believe everything on this site.
Yet why does everyone have so many problems with it? Is it because we, as humans, think way too much about unnecessary things, that get burned into our brains, and are difficult to remove?
If, like sux2bu says, our way of being (AFC, DJ, ...) depends on how we dealt with crises in our early years, I think it's quite hard to change fundamentally. Wouldn't people have a genetic preference of character (which would then incorporate DJ- or/and AFC traits), and this preference manifests itself into how we deal with these early crises?
I'm NOT saying that if you are an AFC you will always be an AFC, because you would have some sort of AFC genes or something like that. No, I DO believe that you can achieve virtually anything if you believe in it strongly enough and are willing to do the necessary things to achieve your goal. What I am saying is that it is far more difficult for someone who is naturally more AFC-like to convert into a DJ.

Well, this stuff is getting quite psychological here. What do you guys think about it?

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The AFC's real problem is that he is average, he is frustrated and he is a chump :D

No really!

If you were not average but were simply yourself, you'd attract women without much thinking.

If you are frustrated that means you need a change in your life. Yo're frustrated because you're using other people's rulers to measure your worthines. Follow your own dreams. Pook was right when he said that women should complement your life not be your life's goal. You are frustrated if women are your goal.

If you're a chump that means you have no dreams in life. Get a dream....and it better not be getting laid by a movie star :D

DJ_Dork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AFC: Doesn't like making new friends, doesn't even make an effort to socialize. Usually dependent on others to provide fun, never is the one to create an event. Does not stand up to himself, emotionally/mentally/physically he is weak.

DJ: Opposite.