Texas Travel

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Austin is not BBQ city as much as they like to lie about it. ****ty meat and ****ty sauce. Come to Fort Worth or North Dallas for good bbq. Fort Worth is cow city for a reason. Most bone-fall off meat you ever ate.

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Austin is not BBQ city as much as they like to lie about it. ****ty meat and ****ty sauce. Come to Fort Worth or North Dallas for good bbq. Fort Worth is cow city for a reason. Most bone-fall off meat you ever ate.
I'm going to have to take that with a grain of salt cause what you say is the exact opposite of everything you will read about Tex BBQ.

All the lists say:
Lockhart
San Antonio
Austin

None of my travels take me to that part of the state so I guess I'll never know.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to take that with a grain of salt cause what you say is the exact opposite of everything you will read about Tex BBQ.

All the lists say:
Lockhart
San Antonio
Austin

None of my travels take me to that part of the state so I guess I'll never know.
Those are some biased lists and I would ask for the sources. And I suspect that whoever made them aren't exactly the "texas type" in general. Likely some coastal ludite that is afraid of going to cities that probably scares them politically.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come to Fort Worth or North Dallas for good bbq. Fort Worth is cow city for a reason. Most bone-fall off meat you ever ate.
Where do you like to eat barbecue in Fort Worth or Dallas? I listed some places I like in Fort Worth and Dallas.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where do you like to eat barbecue in Fort Worth or Dallas? I listed some places I like in Fort Worth and Dallas.
Coopers in FW [do not go to the one anywhere else, only FW]
Hard Eight
Hutchins

Only three that matter. Everywhere else messes up on at least one hallmark bbq item. If you cannot do ribs, brisket, and pork correctly, do not do it at all.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coopers in FW [do not go to the one anywhere else, only FW]
Hard Eight
Hutchins

Only three that matter. Everywhere else messes up on at least one hallmark bbq item. If you cannot do ribs, brisket, and pork correctly, do not do it at all.
I haven't been to Coopers or Hutchins. I will agree on Hard Eight. I've only been to the Coppell location because there are times when it is convenient for me when I am near DFW International. I'm either getting home from a flight or picking someone up at DFW. Hard Eight is very good.

Have you been to Heim, Pecan Lodge, or Angelo's? Those were other places I've liked and mentioned on this thread. Tell me which ones they mess up. Heim is the one I've had most recently. The Heim location right at the exit of Love Field is more convenient to that airport than Hard Eight Coppell is to DFW International (roughly 3 miles away).

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't been to Coopers or Hutchins. I will agree on Hard Eight. I've only been to the Coppell location because there are times when it is convenient for me when I am near DFW International. I'm either getting home from a flight or picking someone up at DFW. Hard Eight is very good.

Have you been to Heim, Pecan Lodge, or Angelo's? Those were other places I've liked and mentioned on this thread. Tell me which ones they mess up. Heim is the one I've had most recently. The Heim location right at the exit of Love Field is more convenient to that airport than Hard Eight Coppell is to DFW International (roughly 3 miles away).
Heim I have not been to yet. Pecan Lodge cheats by making their meat extra greasy. Lots of tasty fat flavor. Which is perfect for when you are out drinking. But otherwise, it's not exactly the best to me. Angelo's is new to me, too. I may have gone to either and not remember the name. Just shows how high of a standard I have for remembering a place.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a lot of good barbecue places in Texas. I'll let you about some of the ones in Dallas-Fort Worth. As a conversation starter, I'll comment upon the places in the Eater article below. I'll also mention some places not in the Eater article.

I would pick 1-2 of these suggestions based on what's convenient to your route and other plans in the area.

Cattleack is really good but is only open from 10 am - 2 pm Wednesday-Friday and the first Saturday of every month. If you want to go to Cattleack, you have to plan your day around it. It is in a bit of an odd location in North Dallas.

Pecan Lodge (not featured in that article but generally well regarded), Terry Black's, Lockhart's, and Off the Bone are all good choices. Of those, I've only been to Pecan Lodge. Pecan Lodge is good but a bit overhyped. I've been a few times but haven't been in 5+ years. Pecan Lodge and Terry Black's are both in the Deep Ellum neighborhood and parking is very difficult to find there.

I like Heim Barbecue a lot. If you are flying into Dallas on Southwest Airlines to start the trip, one of their 3 locations is right next to the exit of Dallas Love Field. That's a great way to start a trip. I've picked up people from Dallas Love Field and taken them to Heim before. I've even gone there as I've gotten home from a flight. There's also sufficient parking. I've also been to the Magnolia location in Fort Worth before and it's in a hip part of Fort Worth. Parking is a little challenging there too but I'd rather try to park near Magnolia in Fort Worth than in Deep Ellum in Dallas. Unlike Pecan Lodge, I've actually been there recently.

I like Angelo's in Fort Worth a lot too. Angelo's has been around since 1958 but some think it's heyday was a long time ago. Every time I've gone, I've liked it.

Hard Eight is another good barbecue option. There are a few locations around Dallas-Fort Worth but I've only been to the location in Coppell near Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It's a good choice if you're near DFW International.
Thank you for that comprehensive list man, I appreciate it. I’ve been looking to try some longstanding Texas barbecue places since it seems like most of the places I’ve found are newer and haven’t been in the BBQ game that long. The longstanding places can be really good because in my area, my regular BBQ place has been in the business since the 1940’s. It does appear that northeast Texas has a better BBQ scene than southeast Texas but the Smoke Shack near the Alamo and riverwalk did have some very good brisket and their spicy creamed corn was excellent. I didn’t get to try any BBQ in Houston when I was there since they were all closed for the night by the time I got there from San Antonio, but I’m going to this time. From what I’ve seen online, Pinkerton’s seems to be a top choice in Houston. I have never been to northeast Texas and this will be my first time there, so I will definitely use your recommendations.

The only part of northern Texas I’ve been to is the panhandle and when I was there, I ate at the Big Texan Steak Ranch since everywhere online said that’s one of the most famous restaurants in the panhandle and the steak I had was very good. Have you ever heard of Goldee’s BBQ in Fort Worth? I found them online and apparently they’re so good that on the weekends, people actually bring folding chairs and get there in the morning and live up to wait for them to open.

I’m also going through Kansas City too and they have a great BBQ scene too. I don’t know if you’ve been to KC or not, but I can definitely vouch for Joe’s BBQ on the Kansas side of the border. Gates BBQ on the Missouri side wasn’t as good as I had hoped and they were expensive too.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Like I just asked SW15, have you ever been to or heard of Goldee’s BBQ in Fort Worth? Apparently its really good. I’m going through Austin too probably, but I mainly just want to go to Top Notch Burgers when I’m there since I love the movie Dazed and Confused.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of Goldee’s BBQ in Fort Worth?
Never heard of it, never been.

The only part of northern Texas I’ve been to is the panhandle and when I was there, I ate at the Big Texan Steak Ranch since everywhere online said that’s one of the most famous restaurants in the panhandle and the steak I had was very good.
I've been to The Big Texan Steak Ranch. Good place.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard of that ranch. Me and my buddies are planning a trip there at some point. I love steak so I'm waiting to see how true it is.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard of that ranch. Me and my buddies are planning a trip there at some point. I love steak so I'm waiting to see how true it is.
Definitely recommend the steak ranch, they also have a 72 oz steak challenge and if you finish the whole meal within an hour, it’s free. But if you don’t, you have to pay $72.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitely recommend the steak ranch, they also have a 72 oz steak challenge and if you finish the whole meal within an hour, it’s free. But if you don’t, you have to pay $72.
I had a more reasonably sized steak when I went to The Big Texan. It was plenty filling. I had an 18 ounce cut of prime rib and 2 sides. I think prime rib is a superior cut of meat as compared to a sirloin steak.

I had no interest in taking the 72 ounce steak challenge. I knew I had no chance of winning.

The restaurant is one of the most famous restaurants in the United States. I'm not in Amarillo, Texas often. Dallas is about 5.5-6 hours driving from Amarillo.

The meal consists of a 72 ounce sirloin steak, a baked potato, side salad, dinner roll, and a shrimp coccktail.

Pro tip for going to The Big Texan -- go at a non-traditional eating time. I did that when I went to The Big Texan. In a previous trip to Amarillo when I had been considering going to The Big Texan, it was around 5:30 PM when I was passing through Amarillo. I knew that going to The Big Texan at 5:30 PM would be a bad idea, so I skipped. I had to wait a few more years before the next time I drove through Amarillo to catch Amarillo at a more favorable time. If someone goes to the Big Texan between 5-7 PM, there's usually a 1+ hour wait for a table.

If you're on a long road trip, a stop at The Big Texan will add time to your road trip. Texas and the Western USA all consist of big states and often long road trips. Even when going at a slower time of day, a stop at The Big Texan is probably going to add close to an hour to your travel day. Fast food doesn't add that sort of time to a trip. The steak at The Big Texan is worth the additional one hour to your travel day if you plan it into your travel day.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm. A few thoughts from the old lady:

Austin BBQ:

1. Franklin’s. Full stop. You’ll go early (before they open) stand in a long line down the block & they will run out. It is famous for a reason.

2. Kreitz’s in Lockhart. When Shiner Bock was a craft beer you had to drive 100 miles to Shiner to get, this was the place to go. It’s still a standard.

3. Salt Lick (Hays County location). You can see the brisket process as you walk in. Been like that for decades.

Now. Texas BBQ is NOT about sauce. It’s about the meat and good TX BBQ should not need sauce. I’ve been to Joes in Kansas City (very respectable) but I’ll take TX ‘Q. There’s also an awesome place in the tiny town of Lexington, but they only serve on weekends and like Franklins, you show up early, wait in line & hope you get some. Excellent brisket.

County Line is cool but better places exist. If you have a boat you can dock on Bull Creek off Lake Austin & get a cool boat-in dining experience. They used to do Air Ribs anywhere in the Continental US. Not sure if they still do.

Austin used to be terrible as a foodie city. It’s much better now but also overrun with the “I *think* I’m hip” crowd. Eye roll please.

Things in West Texas:

Palo Duro Canyon. Fly into Lubbock or Amarillo. It’s second to the Grand Canyon. Worth seeing.

UT McDonald Observatory near Alpine/Marfa. Fly into Abilene, Midland or El Paso. It’s a drive no matter what. Very cool space telescope and facility.

Marfa Lights. I’ve seen ‘em. They are strange.

Marfa thinks it’s an art town but it’s a bit strange & remote (the point I suppose) but it’s not a sophisticated enough location to be more than an experiment. It’s kind of like a small town along old Route 66: struggling to remain relevant with kitch and chotzkies but more snobby. I find the whole thing ridiculous. Maybe that’s the point, but I missed it, lol.

Tex Mex is not the same as Mexican food. Chuy’s original location is the go to for the experience as well as the food. Barton Springs Rd., that’s the one that started the national chain. I’ve been all over SW US, NM, AZ nor CA have Tex Mex down. And I’ve been to some stellar Mexican food places, the best of which hands down is Mi Niditos in Tucson. Awesome but not Tex Mex.

Kimbel Art Museum in Ft. Worth is very cool. I think the Stockyards are too touristy for my taste these days, but Leddy Boots are the real deal if you can afford bespoke boots.

Admiral Chester Nimitz was from Fredericksburg. The Nimitz WWII museum there is worth seeing. Texas wine country is trying to emerge (still) and it’s pretty during wildflower season (March/April/May weather dependent) to drive through the Hill Country & check out various wineries but it’s not the same caliber as CA wines.

If you want to know what’s good or overrated review Texas Monthly, especially their Best of issues and more importantly the Bum Steer awards (of things that are vastly overrated or just plain stupid or whack).

Happy New Year…..Y’all.

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Texas BBQ is NOT about sauce. It’s about the meat and good TX BBQ should not need sauce....I’ll take TX ‘Q.
As a Texas resident, Texas barbecue is what I am most familiar with. Prior to moving to Texas, I had eaten barbecue. I don't know what style it was.

I have enjoyed barbecue more since moving to Texas. I cook most of my meals at home and barbecue is somewhat difficult to do at home.

Austin used to be terrible as a foodie city. It’s much better now but also overrun with the “I *think* I’m hip” crowd. Eye roll please.
Austin has become a haven for the "I think I'm hip" crowd in everything, not just food and restaurants. It is annoying.

If you want to know what’s good or overrated review Texas Monthly, especially their Best of issues and more importantly the Bum Steer awards (of things that are vastly overrated or just plain stupid or whack).
Texas Monthly has some good content.

Mi Niditos in Tucson.
Mi Nidito is a famous Mexican restaurant. In 1999, when Bill Clinton was President of the United States, he visited Mi Nidito.

CornbreadFed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
and "TexMex" was only a step above TacoBell. Cali taquerias blow them off the map. Was truly surprised by this.
lol someone needed to say it! Tex Mex is the most overpriced junk in Texas. You pay double or triple the price for the same shvt because it’s in Texas! If something needs to be smothered in cheese or sour cream then it isn’t that great to begin with.

I’ve also heard that Tex Mex isn’t real Mexican food and shouldn’t be taken seriously. However, 90% and higher of the customers I see at these restaurants are Hispanic, so the math ain’t mathing.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tex Mex is the most overpriced junk in Texas....If something needs to be smothered in cheese or sour cream then it isn’t that great to begin with.
Smothering in cheese and sour cream is not good and not typical in Mexico.

I’ve also heard that Tex Mex isn’t real Mexican food and shouldn’t be taken seriously. However, 90% and higher of the customers I see at these restaurants are Hispanic, so the math ain’t mathing.
There's overlap between Tex Mex and authentic Mexican.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
I’ve also heard that Tex Mex isn’t real Mexican food and shouldn’t be taken seriously.
It isnt real Mexican food imho. Same thing if you go to some "Mexican" restaurants at Disney parks for example, they dont have any corn tortillas, which would be weird in Mexico.

Maybe the people in the kitchen happen to be Mexican, but I would still not consider it real Mexican food. If someone wants to try real Mexican food, my recommendation is to try some Mole Poblano or some Chiles en Nogada, but they are not easy to find outside of Puebla.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I will definitely try Cattleack's and Goldee's BBQ. They seem to be ranked amongst top BBQ joints.

Schoepf's in Belton, TX is also a top ranked place that also has live music. Its along I-35 south of Temple.

I've ate at Hard Eight, Pecan Lodge, and Hutchins many times over the years. You can't go wrong with any of them. I wouldn't put one above the other. I guarantee they are some of the best BBQ you will ever eat and there is almost always a line to get in. Hutchins was ranked top 25 in the nation for many years.