tattoo

Wildebeest

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey

im thinking of getting my first tattoo as a gift to myself because im turning 24 on friday.

not sure if people will change their perception of me, dont really care.

I studied math, the idea of the tattoos is to have some concealed meaning to myself mostly, to tell a story about my individual thoughts and experiences, encoded.

was thinking about getting either an hourglass on the inside of my left wrist / forearm (small, no colour). I have a few variations of this idea.

1. hourglass
A 2dimensional inverted triangle sitting on another triangle, no verticle lines on either side, in the shape of an hourglass. The triangle is the greek letter delta, and the inverted triangle represents the inverse of it. Delta is used to signify "change" in mathematics, so the inverse delta would symbolise a constant. Together, as an hourglass, "constant change" or "change is constant".

2. hourglass
the other idea would be a small 3d hourglass, with the sides. It has sand running out of the top, but the bottom half of the hourglass is smashed, and has shards of the broken glass of different variations. So there is no sand in the bottom of the hourglass, the sand is flowing downward, into nothingness, or oblivion. It represents the irreversible nature of time, and the inevitability of death.

or

getting putting a small mathematical sign/symbol that means uniqueness on the inside of my inner right wrist. Literally in english, it means "There exists one and only one".

oh yea, dont steal my ideas :p

William

Wildebeest

Don Juan
Reaction score
My third idea would be to get a tattoo over my heart,
Dum vivimus, vivamus (horace, a roman poet)
"Since we are living, let us live well"

the hourglass - when I look at it, I would it to remind me that I am dying, and to do what the **** I want when I want

the math symbol - I am unique, there are no others like me, I am rare, I am special - to boost my ego :p

The latin quote - This helped me get over my existential bull****. It bypasses arguments and reason, and says SINCE we are living, let us live well. Why we are living is irrelevant. When I was depressed, it made me feel better

Any suggestions for the location or modifications is welcomed

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really like your ideas. I was considering getting a wolf tatted on my back myself (its my power animal).

Why wrist though? Do know that future employers would see that - it's not that concealable of a location

Wildebeest

Don Juan
Reaction score
I suppose you're right, I should conceal them as much as possible.

The reason I want the hourglass visible, because it is meant to remind me to take action, and live in the moment. That what's in the past is gone forever, and to let the bad stuff go. Its meant to remind me that I am dying, and that nothing is worth worrying about to death. To remind me to just enjoy what I am now before I meet my oblivion.

This one doubles as a metaphor for chaos vs order (and the law of entrophy)

The idea that order tends to degenerate into chaos over time without work done.

The inverted triangle on a triangle to form an hourglass is more simple and is very similar to the one you have on your chest.

For me like I said, the triangle represents delta, or 'change' in mathematics

I was thinking of putting the latin phrase on my collar bone or chest backwards in an interesting font, small

Where should I put my tattoo
Which ones should I get?

Wildebeest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Putting the latin phrase

dum vivimus, vivamus
"since we are living, let us live well"

putting it in mirror script (I can read it properly when I look in the mirror), on my chest, or collar bone

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do something that's aesthetically pleasing, that also won't get boring to you over the course of time. I get bored with mine wanting to get more. I like the ideas thoug, hence it all carries personal meaning.

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do something that's aesthetically pleasing, that also won't get boring to you over the course of time. I get bored with mine wanting to get more. I like the ideas thoug, hence it all carries personal meaning.

sighsigh

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a Mandelbrot set. Tell him you'll tip him an extra 10% for accuracy at every 2x level of magnification.