Tanning

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I'm pretty damn white and I've tried laying out in the sun (live in az) and it's just turning me red. I put on sunscreen and I stay white. Is there anything out there as far as tanning lotions go that can help me? I'm leary to try since I heard they can turn your skin yellow. What's that best product out there? I don't want the fake tan lotion to put on but something that will help get a natural tan.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're really white, I'd suggest using tanning lotions since they gradually give you a tan. Better wash your palms though, because it'll look weird having tanned palms. lol

Tanning out in the sun is probably gonna (as you say).. Just turn you red! That's why I'd recommend fake tans for you!

I naturally have a bit of a tan, but using these lotions help me keep my skin tone glowing all year long!

The one I use is by Dove. It looks like a lotion bottle but it isn't... I got 2 bottles at costco for a pretty decent price. I heard that spray-on tans are pretty decent nowadays... I'd suggest reading the reviews for the products you see in your local store, over the Internet.

Good luck achieving that tan!

Oh, and I believe they make a tube for your face.. It works better because it won't clog pores and won't leave an oily residue on your face as well...

Unlike most lotion tans, the one by Dove doesn't stink bad!

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
armadon said:
Ok I'm pretty damn white and I've tried laying out in the sun (live in az) and it's just turning me red. I put on sunscreen and I stay white. Is there anything out there as far as tanning lotions go that can help me? I'm leary to try since I heard they can turn your skin yellow. What's that best product out there? I don't want the fake tan lotion to put on but something that will help get a natural tan.
redness = burning.

start slowly, let your skin adapt, take your time.

Start in a tanning salon, easier to control the exposure:
-start with 4mins
-go 3-4 times a week
-add 1minute exposure every session

this will give your skin time to adapt.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whenever you get out the sun for the day just get some cheap lotion and rub it all over,it should help you to NOT-turn red and help you tan as well.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No such thing as a Good Tan. Tanning is the body response to UV light damage. Yep, 80% of what we call skin aging is really UV induced photoageing (ie sun damage).

Tanning booths are horrible as these emit very high levels of UVA rays.

UVB rays = burning/tanning rays.
UVA rays = aging rays.

Use one of those self tanners or get a spray tan. In 20 years, you will glad that you did.

Those dihydroxacetone self tanners do work. might want to one get with an spf15.

If MUST get a tan, tan gradually by using a spf 15 product that has broad spectrum UVB/UVA protection. You have to read the labels for broad spectrum protection. Look for parsol 1789 for long wave UV protection, and oxybenzone or mexoryl SX for short wave UVA protection on the label. Also look for octocrylene (UVB blocker) on the label as it stabilizes the parsol 1789.

Ganji

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no negative (appearance-wise) effect of tanning until your sixties. By then it won't be your looks that get you laid anyways.

P­ornography

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty damn white also, how would I go about applying a very light natural looking tan?

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you decide that what you want is tan skin (keeping in mind that everything Road Demon said has been proven), there are "safer" ways to do it.

-- Put on sun tan lotion. You can still get tan with sun tan lotion.
-- Don't stay out too long. Staying in the sun for a couple hours will get you red, which may then turn into a tan, which will then peel and your skin will fade. If you go out in the sun for about 40 minutes a day (maybe a little less in AZ), you will get a "deeper" tan that will last longer and not burn.
-- Use tons of moisturizer. Not only will this stop against peeling, but it will help decrease the negative side effects of tanning.

P­ornography

Don Juan
Reaction score
PDubb75 said:
If you decide that what you want is tan skin (keeping in mind that everything Road Demon said has been proven), there are "safer" ways to do it.

-- Put on sun tan lotion. You can still get tan with sun tan lotion.
-- Don't stay out too long. Staying in the sun for a couple hours will get you red, which may then turn into a tan, which will then peel and your skin will fade. If you go out in the sun for about 40 minutes a day (maybe a little less in AZ), you will get a "deeper" tan that will last longer and not burn.
-- Use tons of moisturizer. Not only will this stop against peeling, but it will help decrease the negative side effects of tanning.
Awesome thanks Pdiddy