Tanning beds?

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do any of you DJ's go to the tanning bed? I've been going for several years, however i often worry about these two scenarios.

1. WIll i get terminal skin cancer?

2. Will the tanning bed cause me to age faster?

I have very dark hair, so if i have no color i tend to resemble dracula. I look 100 times better with a tan and feel more confident in myself.

Do you guys worry?

Thanks

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Answered in the Health and Fitness Forum before. Though it is a good question.

"And away it goes!"

Slimijs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I had gone to a tanning salon a couple of times. My mother is a doctor and I think I can answer both o your questions.

1. WIll i get terminal skin cancer?
I don't know if it's terminal, but there is a chance, but it's much smaller then compared to tanning in the sun without sunscreen.

2. Will the tanning bed cause me to age faster?
I have heard, that id you have a tan, you'll age fater. It's pretty much the truth. Who want's to be 90 anyway. ;)

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
go regular tanning when your young if you want to look like a handbag at age 40

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Supposidely you have an increased risk for cancer. I have my doubts though because from what I've read and heard, medical "science" wasn't very scientific until recently. Older doctors went (and still go) mostly by anecdotal evidence. Also the idea that sunscreen chemicals can cause it raises my doubts.

Aging I wouldn't worry about unless you go from pale to really dark, vs just a shade or 2 darker. It's also not that big of a deal for men IMO.

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about unless you go from pale to really dark, vs just a shade or 2 darker.
I agree. It's best to use them for several short periods than the occasional long period. And ALWAYS moisturize after using them as this reduces dryness and tautness that causes premature ageing. Also wear the goggles as the skin around the eyes is very delicate and will develop "crows feet" unless protected.

stickboy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I tan twice a week, 15 minutes each time. Monday and Friday. I really don't think it is that bad. Do you?

hootersrule

Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking of tanning beds, I'm new to tanning and have been doing it for about a month now and have a question about what people wear in them. Most ladies that I know that tan wear nothing (which is really cool ) but I'm a guy and that seems weird for men to do. What's the verdict?

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't wear clothes in them. There's just no reason to.

Oddly, my butt cheeks are now tanner than anywhere else on me lmao I'm sure you all were just dying to know that :p

Last edited:

stickboy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wear nothing either.

But Im cutting my tanning to 1 time/week because now its summer :)

hootersrule

Don Juan
Reaction score
OK, I get it now! Tanning beds = no clothes. One question, now that I've been going for about a month with boxers and have definite tan lines to prove it, are there any suggestions for transitioning to nothing without a nasty burn?

blabla

Don Juan
Reaction score
This tanning **** is a north american cultural thing. Go to some other places and pale skin is admired (like a tan is admired here). I think in japan, people take umbrellas out on really sunny days to avoid tanning effects / provide shade. In china, a tan is seen as workerish (ie: bad/ugly). I think it started here because it was more exotic to have skin that is of a tanny colour naturally.

hootersrule

Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw a report last week on some research that supports the idea that exposure to ultraviolet light may act as a mood enhancer. That may explain why people keep going.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This tanning **** is a north american cultural thing. Go to some other places and pale skin is admired (like a tan is admired here). I think in japan, people take umbrellas out on really sunny days to avoid tanning effects / provide shade. In china, a tan is seen as workerish (ie: bad/ugly). I think it started here because it was more exotic to have skin that is of a tanny colour naturally.
Beauty is usually linked to financial success. Rich people spend time out on their yachts, or at their beach house - getting a tan.

On a related note, rich people usually have personal trainers - getting getting them in better shape.

I saw a report last week on some research that supports the idea that exposure to ultraviolet light may act as a mood enhancer. That may explain why people keep going.
Yes, I remember the first time I went (and a few times after) I would feel unusually happy when I came out...

Doesn't really happen any more as far as I can tell.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A girl I dated a couple years ago worked at a tanning salon, so she said I could go in free anytime I wanted.

Long story short, I burnt my ass. Literally, my ass was red and itchy for like a week. It really sucked, but at least I didn't burn my nuts or anything like that.

Other than getting it free, I'd really not see a good reason to go to tanning salons. I always thought they were more of a woman's thing. But, whatever.

hootersrule

Don Juan
Reaction score
OK! I've been tapering into it and am starting to loose the tan lines. I still feel a bit awkward while tanning sans boxers but oddly enough find myself getting more comfortable and relaxed in the tanning bed.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by hootersrule
OK! I've been tapering into it and am starting to loose the tan lines. I still feel a bit awkward while tanning sans boxers but oddly enough find myself getting more comfortable and relaxed in the tanning bed.
It's not like there are cameras watching you... just strip down and put a sock over your bits & pieces.

Dictatorsaurus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand why people try so hard to get a tan. They're reasoning is that it makes them look healthier. How does it look healtheir and more natural if you are not born with it and get in a salon?

I've never seen a dark man trying to become white (MJ doesn't count).

Lesson

Don Juan
Reaction score
Does tanning work for pale people?

I have very fair skin and the weird thing is, I DON'T burn in the sun, sunscreen or not... I just get darker(albeit not much). Would tanning be a good option for folks like me? Also any of you try airbrush tanning? I don't know much about it but I assume it makes you darker and there isn't as much health risk involved.

THanks.