Tae Kwon Do sparring class?

skd

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are there any schools, coaches, or seminars that deal specifically with TKD sparring?

I've been to 3 separate TKD schools, total of about 9 years experience now. However, none of the schools ever really concentrated on sparring so I suck at it and I want to change that.

skd

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm just not as good at sparring as I should be considering my rank. Anyways, I'll be (hopefully) going to Korea in a year or two to study abroad, so I'll check it out then, if no one can suggest anything.

(the schools were WTF by the way)

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Find an ATA school - American Tae Kwon Do Association. I'm a currently a red belt and I can tell you that they focus primarily on sparring, also weapons training at black belt. I've been competing since green and although I've only placed 1st on a couple of occasions, I usually take 2nd place trophies at tournaments.

GirlCrazy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why not spar with your friends from class outside the dojo (and other dojos)?

Besides, if you're only sparring tae kwon do inside the dojo, then you're only sparring fighters of one style. You want to spar with the widest variety of opponents and styles as possible.

I guess it comes down to what your goals for sparring are. If it's self defense, then sparring one style is extremely limiting. You could be in for a real azz-kicking if the first time you fight against styles like akido or jujitsu is in a real fight.

skd

Don Juan
Reaction score
GC: The main reason for sparring is not for self-defense, I just feel that my TKD instruction is incomplete. In any case, I plan to study other martial arts later to become a better martial artist in general. Oh, and none of my friends are in martial arts. Only me :(

Rollo: Thanks for the heads-up on ATA, I never would've considered it but I checked out their web site and I think an ATA school might be just what I want.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by skd
Are there any schools, coaches, or seminars that deal specifically with TKD sparring?

There are a lot more effective martial arts styles to study. I have a black belt in TKD and consider 70% of the techniques worthless. I eventaully wised up and stopped paying 60 a month for this style. Anyone with a background in Muay Thai or grappling will immediately clinch and put you on your back.

If you want to be a complete martial artist then you need to cross train in striking and grappling. the best styles are Jiu Jitsu, wrestling, Sambo,and Muay Thai. Muay Thai will teach you proper striking without any of the flashy BS. In Jiu Jitsu you'll learn takedowns and ground fighting.

Chillisauce

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally i dont consider TKD a martial art.. its less combat orientated than rugby. (sorry if this is harsh but i'v trained in TKD myself and its worthless without crosstraining)

But if we look at it as a sport which you wish to improve in.. do some research into other clubs in your area and go along for a session. If they adequetly cover sparring give em a shot.

Another idea is to research which club has been winning all the tournaments.. i bet they'd have a greator focus on sparring.

To add two to good martial arts to dust 2 dust's list:

Kyokushinkai karate
Boxing