Swimming Routine

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I'm goign to start swimming. Now, I will need your help in making a good beginner's swimming routine. Thanks. Easy on the stroke variations please . . .

naoi deag se deag

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you a strong swimmer already? Are you swimming in a pool or open water? What are you looking for in a swimming workout? We need more information.

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok I did a lot of swimming as a kid around 8-10 because I had asthma and now I do not after swimming. So I am an okay swimming since I haven't swam for like 6 years. I am going to be swimming in a pool and I'm looking for something that will burn calories and is maybe 30 minutes - 45 minutes long.

Kevon

Don Juan
Reaction score
swim for 30-45 minutes straight

dont stop dont stop dont stop

if it has been that long since you swam, I bet you can't do it

swimming is the way to get chiseled, much better than running

naoi deag se deag

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, if you want to burn calories, swimming the whole time straight will do that. But that gets helluva boring. You should break it up something like this:

300 warmup
5x100 freestyle on an interval that gets your heart rate a little higher
4x50 any stroke hard
200 50 kick on your back 50 easy swimming
4x25 any stroke hard
200 warmdown

That's 1500m. I dunno how long that would take you but I think you get the idea. I assume you understand interval training if you swam around the age of 10? Let me know how this fits you.

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by naoi deag se deag
Well, if you want to burn calories, swimming the whole time straight will do that. But that gets helluva boring. You should break it up something like this:

300 warmup
5x100 freestyle on an interval that gets your heart rate a little higher
4x50 any stroke hard
200 50 kick on your back 50 easy swimming
4x25 any stroke hard
200 warmdown

That's 1500m. I dunno how long that would take you but I think you get the idea. I assume you understand interval training if you swam around the age of 10? Let me know how this fits you.
Wow thanks so much. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I remember as a kid we kinda did stuff like this, but I like how you kept the strokes to freestyle because that's my best stroke. Worst would be back stroke because my right shoulder has to twist weird if I wanna make a good rotation. Anyhow, thanks again and I will put this into motion. That should take me a good 30 minutes or so.

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Swimming > *

I'm also gonna start training in the pool.. I have a friend that swims a lot, he does NO other exercise besides for swimming, and he has an almost perfect body... Arm muscles, 6 pack, leg muscles, nice chest, just an overall NICE body, and that’s JUST from swimming. Swimming is definitely a winner;)

laterz...

Kevon

Don Juan
Reaction score
butterfly burns the mos calories, and try alternating freestyle and back, they using opposig muscle groups. Breast stroke is a nice relaxing stroke after swimming hard too

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
One quick thing, in case you are not really aware:

Be careful about your shoulders, you can do damage to them. Look up rotator cuff exercises(I strongly recommend this).

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While it's true that shoulder injuries are prevalent among swimmers, that's more a function of the repetitive miles and miles and boredom swimmers experience than the dangers of swimming itself. If you pay attention to what you're doing, you should be fine. One major thing: don't try to hyperextend your arms from the shoulder to lengthen your stroke.

Also, listen to naoi deag se deag. He knows what he's talking about :D

Kevon

Don Juan
Reaction score
listen to him about hyperextending, for sure, thats how I eneded up with shoulder problems from swimming. It took .25 seconds off my 50 and got me to state though, haha, just sucks now that I dont swim competetively anymore

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to hyperextend when I was like 13. It makes you so much faster and makes you think "What a kickass technique refinement!" Then you get the crackling shoulders :(

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
woah!

What can you do to prevent the shoulder injury? (besides "not swim")

naoi deag se deag

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try this:

Put your arm over your head and try to reach the ceiling. Lift your arm from your shoulder complex and then drop it. Translate that to the pool - when you're reaching for the ceiling with your shoulder complex, you're going to be hyperextending your shoulder. When the catch phase of the stroke starts you'll be putting a lot of pressure on your shoulder in that spot. Concentrate on reaching "from your hips", that is, getting your arm as far out in front of you by swimming as much on your side as you can when you roll.

Damn this is hard to explain online. When I coached I took three weeks at the start of each season to teach my kids how to do this right. www.swim.ee is a good place to go - it has a lot of footage of the best doing their thing.

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanx...

Originally posted by naoi deag se deag
Try this:

Put your arm over your head and try to reach the ceiling. Lift your arm from your shoulder complex and then drop it. Translate that to the pool - when you're reaching for the ceiling with your shoulder complex, you're going to be hyperextending your shoulder. When the catch phase of the stroke starts you'll be putting a lot of pressure on your shoulder in that spot. Concentrate on reaching "from your hips", that is, getting your arm as far out in front of you by swimming as much on your side as you can when you roll.

Damn this is hard to explain online. When I coached I took three weeks at the start of each season to teach my kids how to do this right. www.swim.ee is a good place to go - it has a lot of footage of the best doing their thing.
kewl thanx man... sh0t for the info and the link;)

Laterz...