Stuttering Problem

wordism

Don Juan
Reaction score
k I have a stuttering problem so at times.. its really frustrating for me.. not just 2 females but since thats what this site is about.. I find it hard to just approach girls out in the open.. of course I get nervous..
it's much easier for me in clubs because I can just "dance"(grind with them) and just say a few words..plus the loud music eases me.. but out in the open. a whole conversation has to occur which can be hard for me at times.. The more nervous I am the worst my speech problem is.. anybody have any advice on how to make it easier..

Legend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have the same problem, the girls im out on dates with make fun of me for that. I dont really care though. My mind thinks faster than it can speak. Guys dont say a word to me about it though. Probably because of my size.

blueangel83

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was at Popeyes yesterday and the cashier kept stuttering, leaning and shaking and when I was about to ask him a question he turned around and walked away.

LOLOL so I'm like WTF! then I said hey I haven't finished my sentence yet, his face was all red. I said "Are you ok?" He goes "yyeeee hhheeaaa"

Oh man I felt bad for the guy. There was a customer that was standing there waiting for about 5 minutes, he was just standing there staring at me.

blueangel83

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"D...d...d..dont sweat it bro, I've heard some b!tches think its cute. Makes them think theyre unique and sh!t. Just stick with 6's or less until you fix yourself. "

:crackup:

Honestly, since it's winter, pretend that you're cold. :p

wowiehowie

Banned
Reaction score
The key thing with controlling your stuttering is being able to RELAX. Yes, I know that it's usually difficult to do that around HB's. Like others recommend here on the board, try just going out and chatting up everybody you can, male female, young, old, etc. This should help you with all your anxieties. Soon, you won't think its a big deal to talk to anybody.

DonJuanMonk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bush stutters all the time, he's the Prez.. not the smartest but look where he's at.

wordism

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by blueangel83
"D...d...d..dont sweat it bro, I've heard some b!tches think its cute. Makes them think theyre unique and sh!t. Just stick with 6's or less until you fix yourself. "

:crackup:

Honestly, since it's winter, pretend that you're cold. :p
har har @ at all the jokes

lol but nah winter time never comes in Houston

mrblack

Don Juan
Reaction score
take a speech class. and make it obvious before hand to everyone that your there to improve your stuttering. with a qualified instructor and supportive class you should improve.

wordism

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mrblack
take a speech class. and make it obvious before hand to everyone that your there to improve your stuttering. with a qualified instructor and supportive class you should improve.
yea I have to take public speaking next year sometime.. I don't look forward to it.. but o well.. anywho thanks for the replies people..

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have this problem. it used to control me and hold me back, but I've learned how to control it. It takes a degree of concentration at all times to maintain control (or oyu will probably revert) , but it can be done.

There is a theory that people with stuttering problems form words on the right side of the brain instead of the normal left side, and these words must cross over to the left side before they can be spoken out loud. There is a crossover delay, and the problem is the result of trying to say the words before we are able to. We are literally getting ahead of ourselves. The most practical solution is to slow down so the information can transmit.

1. slow down. Most of your problem comes from talking too fast. It's not like people are going to walk away when you're talking, so take your time. I generally speak at about 90 words a minute, which is slightly slower than normal. (most people speak at 100-120 wpm) You can practice slowing yourself down by speaking ridiculously slow, dragging out sylables. (preferably do this alone-- try reading out of a book out loud) Once you're comfortable with speaking that slow, speed it up slightly and get comfortable with it. Keep speeding it up until you can speak with control at a slightly slower than normal rate.

2. If you get stuck on a word, don't force it. Basically, if you try to force your way through you're going to end up trying to talk without any air in your lungs, and oyu can't do that. If you feel stuttering coming on, just relax, take a breath, and say whatever you were about to say again.

3. Speak from your diaphram. (your voice should feel like its projecting from down low in your gut, not high up in your throat) You have much much better control, also try to lower your voice pitch if you can, and keep doing that until it becomes a habit. When you're speaking at a lower pitch, it's harder to talk fast, you have more control, and as a bonus, chicks find it sexy.

4. Keep your voice on inbetween words. If you do this, the momentum will keep you going. It's sort of like singing, except there is no melody and you are not altering your pitch.

5. easy onset. Don't emphasize the first sound at the beginning of a sentence you're speaking. This wastes your air and you won't have enough. Relax and start your sentences calmly.

I hope this helps, it did for me.

blueangel83

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Then just be honest and tell her that you have a speech impediment. Just joking.

Tell her that you have a problem with stuttering, and say "people tell me they don't notice it, do you?" she will then laugh and say somethign like, "don't worry about it" and you shouldn't.

OR

Pretend that you are talking to your mother or sister. This should work.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to stutter as well.

The weird thing was that before I said certain words, I knew I was going to stutter if I said those words. (does that make any sense?) So I would use synonyms or try to say the same thing in a different way. After a year like this the stuttering went away.

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ta ta ta today junior

in all honesty, if you cant do anything to change it then live with it. if some people dont like it then dont associate with them anymore. learn to laugh at yourself. if there is something that you can do, then give it your best shot. just remember, no one is perfect.

Starriol

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man, check out this e-mail that was sent to me, I just read it, you are very lucky! I hope it helps. If you want more info about it, go to http://www.masteringstuttering.com/

"I recently received a note from Denis Brosnan concerning my new book "Mastering Blocking & Stuttering: A Cognitive Approach to Achieving Fluency". He had some great things to say about the book and how it has proven helpful to his speech. I emailed him and asked his permission to share his statement with you. He has given me his permission to use this testimony as to how the book has proven helpful to him:

"Reading Bob's book was a revelation for me. It articulates in a manner that is simultaneously profound and very logical the possible reasons why we make ourselves block and provides mental exercises that, for me at least, were remarkably effective in moving beyond them. I still have work to do but thanks to the book I already have made major improvements."

It thrills me to read that some are receiving such positive results by coming more knowledgeable of just how your mind-body system creates those negative thoughts & feelings that have much to do with whether one blocks or not.

If you are interested in reading more about the book, you may read about it at:

http://www.masteringstuttering.com/

The book is available through Amazon; through our institute (signature below); and through my publisher (Our publisher has available a tremendous collection of NLP, Hypnosis, Accelerated Learning and other books that I encourage you to look into. Visit their web site.):

United Kingdom:

Crown House Publishing Ltd
Crown Buildings, Bancyfelin,
Carmarthen,
Wales, SA33 5ND

Email: books@crownhouse.co.uk
www.crownhouse.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1267 211345
Fax: +44 (0) 1267 211882

Crown House Publishing US:

Crown House Publishing Company LLC
4 Berkeley Street, 1st Floor,