(Study) Wearing a weighted vest for 8 hours a day significantly speeds up weight/fat loss

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Not surprising once you understand part of the way the body regulates metabolism, caloric burn, etc is by the use of something called Gravitostat, which is regulating key systems in the body based on weight bearing sensors in the legs telling the body how much it weighs.

This seems to be vital for feedback to control many systems in the body, which is why sitting down too much is so bad for you...it causes no weight bearing in the legs so your body effectively thinks you weigh far less than you do, so it down regulates many processes in the body to be for someone who weighs this lesser amount instead of your actual weight. In fact, it's so bad for you that scientists have found the number one all-cause mortality factor(aka death for any reason) is the amount of time you spend sitting down.

An interesting study that was done and additional study of one that was done by a YouTube fitness content provider wanted to see what would happen if you wore a weighted vest for much of the day instead of only when exercising.

The thought process was that it would trick the body into thinking it was heavier than it was by virtue of the Gravitostat sensors in the legs and your body would then upregulate metabolic processes similar to how it down regulates them when you sit too much.

It turns out they were right. In the study, and according to the fitness content provider who tracked this for a month, weighted vest wearers for 8 hours a day lost significantly more weight than those not wearing one. The fitness content provider who was already lean said they lost a stunning amount of body fat in comparison to the other months not wearing one.

Long story short. Buying and wearing a 20-30lb weighted vest for 8 hours a day even when not working out will likely lead to significantly better weight loss than not wearing one and once you get leaner, it will likely lead to significantly more fat loss over the same amount of time than not wearing one. This is effectively a cheat code.

Will be buying a 30lb short vest to wear for this and will report back results. My 60lb normal vest is too bulky and a pain in the ass to try and add and remove weight for this purpose, will save this for working out.

Last edited:

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
I run with a 20lb weight vest once a week, and although I'm not looking to lose weight, I can say that it's really sped up my calf development.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am down 16 lbs this year. Unintentionally. Similarly in concept, I’ve been walking minimum 6,000 steps per day, in my vibram barefoot shoes. Those shoes have no soles. I’ve noticed muscular development in my feet that was not there before. It is probably the same phenomenon mentioned in the OP.

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the idea of wearing a weight vest while doing cardio or walking around. It seems like it would help with endurance.

Wearing a heavy backpack might have a similar result. Ankle weights too.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I like the idea of wearing a weight vest while doing cardio or walking around. It seems like it would help with endurance.

Wearing a heavy backpack might have a similar result. Ankle weights too.
I'd be careful with the heavy backpack, the weight is not distributed evenly and that could lead to back issues.

The weighted vest is designed so that weight is distributed evenly across the body similar to if you just weighed more.

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd be careful with the heavy backpack, the weight is not distributed evenly and that could lead to back issues.

The weighted vest is designed so that weight is distributed evenly across the body similar to if you just weighed more.
Good point. I'll probably just take some weight out of the backpack.

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is some next level stuff. What a simple and attainable yet effective way to up-regulate the metabolism. Great thread.
I was going to try backpack route personally, but even that's been covered. 50 bux on amazon is better than back problems.

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could also wear a vest while doing calisthenics.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You could also wear a vest while doing calisthenics.
I used to wear my 60lb vest while working out and doing cardio, HIIT and walking all the time.

Haven't done it as much this year as I've been dealing with some knee and ankle issues the past month and a half that has limited how hard I can push myself but I am feeling pretty good now so it's about time to get back into it...

Excited to wear the lighter vest for most of the day tho...that should be a game changer.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got one but the weight part of the order was cancelled so need to re-order some weight

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to wear my 60lb vest while working out and doing cardio, HIIT and walking all the time.

Haven't done it as much this year as I've been dealing with some knee and ankle issues the past month and a half that has limited how hard I can push myself but I am feeling pretty good now so it's about time to get back into it...

Excited to wear the lighter vest for most of the day tho...that should be a game changer.
I can't wait to get one lol

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I finally got my weights for my best. I've done the weighted backpack thing before and like it, definitely feel it in the back and shoulders. This one i have the weight in the front on my chest. Starting out real light and wearing it around the house while i do stuff.

I'll eventually do pull-ups and run in it.. Today is just a walk around and get used to it day. And i'm starting super light with two 5 lbs plates.. total of 10 lbs.

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I finally got my weights for my best. I've done the weighted backpack thing before and like it, definitely feel it in the back and shoulders. This one i have the weight in the front on my chest. Starting out real light and wearing it around the house while i do stuff.

I'll eventually do pull-ups and run in it.. Today is just a walk around and get used to it day. And i'm starting super light with two 5 lbs plates.. total of 10 lbs.
How much do you weigh?

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember I used to wear steel toe boots at work. And then on the weekends when I wore tennis shoes, the shoes felt like air. They're basically like mini-ankle weights. You could just wear them wherever you go.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing is if your gonna wear it for 8 hours a day you need a fitted vest or buy a more expensive brand, the cheap ones will give you a rash after an hour, nevermind 8.

The other thing for me was the impact on my joints, was pretty bad. I've tried basically every body weight augment there is from ankle to wrist and Im not particularly fond of any of them and I can't be bothered to buy an expensive vest

mbc0029

Don Juan
Reaction score
I weigh about 185 lbs right now.
That seems like an average weight. Most dudes I know either in my family/friends, co-workers, seem to weigh somewhere between 170-200 lbs. It's rarely good weight for them (big gut, don't workout). I'm about 145 lbs. Below average weight, but doing these kinds of exercises (weights, calisthenics, running, etc.) and finding clever ways to get in shape puts the dudes who do them above most other dudes.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i have been lifting and doing cardio for years. Carrying muscle but too much fat to have my abs look good. Have the lines but need to drop fat.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Just started wearing mine, first week...I would highly recommend an APEX Up one which is a runners vest and is super comfy and not bulky at all.