starting out

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I'd like to start working out, I weigh around 60kg and am 5'11ish. I'd like to put on some more weight and bulk up a bit. I don't want to be huge just want to build up a bit of muscle on my chest/upper body as I only have decent arms/shoulder muscles at the moment and I'd like to 'even' it all out.

Let me know how I can start this process and what equipment and exercises I will need/start doing. I am 16 and have lifted weights before (dumbbells on arms and shoulders)

Thanks

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try to get out of the idea of just getting a certain area bigger and focus on making your body grow as a unit.

that means squating and deadlifting :)

You have a lot of different options man do some research your free to send me a pm if you would like some help.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try to get out of the idea of just getting a certain area bigger and focus on making your body grow as a unit.
I like this guy...

Keep in mind it takes years and years of intentional effort to get huge. Many who try dont make it, so dont worry about it happening by accident, i promise you it wont.

focus on heavy movements like bench presses, shoulder presses, rows and of course the almighty squat and deadlift
and of course a good diet.

go to a gym a good home gym will cost a lot and you are going to much more variety at a real gym

as far as what to do, do some reading, i cant type it all out my hands would fall off

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't really want to do powerlifts, deadlifts or any kind of huge barbell lifts, the local gym has this circuit thing with a machine suited for each muscle group, I was wondering if I just used those my body would develop evenly. I prefer doing it like that really because some parts of my body aren't as strong and then I can focus on a group of muscles every day.

Also if I did swimming and running would that improve my leg muscles or just make them slimmer.

To avoid any confusion, I don't want to really 'bulk' I just want to have more defined muscles and to look a bit bigger.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You still need to drop that concept of developing your body "evenly"

You'd be short changing yourself by using machines and not doing barbell lifts. You must do squats and deadlifts. These exercises stimulate a huge amount of your muscles and force the body to grow and not just the lower body. If you just focused on getting stronger on these exercises you'd be well on your way.

Squats
Dealifts
Flat bench or Dips
Military Press
Pull ups

And listen to mrfitness your not going to turn into some huge monster without intentional effort over the long term, so don't worry.

As for running and swimming, there good for building some endurance and also good for overall health benefits, but there better ways to improve your leg muscles ......pssst (squats)

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by x0dus
I don't really want to do powerlifts, deadlifts or any kind of huge barbell lifts, the local gym has this circuit thing with a machine suited for each muscle group, I was wondering if I just used those my body would develop evenly. I prefer doing it like that really because some parts of my body aren't as strong and then I can focus on a group of muscles every day.

Also if I did swimming and running would that improve my leg muscles or just make them slimmer.

To avoid any confusion, I don't want to really 'bulk' I just want to have more defined muscles and to look a bit bigger.
circits blow ass, 90% of powerlifters that would compete in bodybulding will win because tehy lift heavy and dont do that isolation bull ****... stil with the compound lifts and youll get huge!!!! 100% is rest 100% is sleep and 100% is lifting, nothing is more or less imortant than the other

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I'd like to start working out, I weigh around 60kg and am 5'11ish. I'd like to put on some more weight and bulk up a bit. I don't want to be huge just want to build up a bit of muscle on my chest/upper body as I only have decent arms/shoulder muscles at the moment and I'd like to 'even' it all out.

Let me know how I can start this process and what equipment and exercises I will need/start doing. I am 16 and have lifted weights before (dumbbells on arms and shoulders)

Thanks
Let me get this straight. You are 132 lbs at 5'11, and are worried about getting huge? Buddy, I'm 2 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, and I'm still not huge.

First of all, let me tell you that with squats, EVERY muscle in your body will blow up. Even my arms have inflated like a balloon lately, and all I've been doing are 20-rep squats, with assistance from dumbbell bench presses and lat pulldowns. And at 132 lbs, you have a long way to go before you can even be considered remotely buff, let alone huge.

You sound like a woman. Men do not workout the same way women do, which is a good thing, considering that more women should workout the way men do.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Don't fool yourself!

Squats and deadlifts are where it's at!

Forget about machines! Learn how to properly use free weights, start at a low weight, practice with correct form, and gradually increase your weight!

This, together with a solid diet, is the way to a better body.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah man, dont worry about being huge, I dont want you to get discouraged, becasue you can work out, and if you do it right and eat and sleep right, you will get bigger and more ripped and more woman will notice you, but at your height at least 230 to be huge I would say, and that is huge for your height. I am 5'11, 225, and I used to weight 245, and I am not even huge, I had alot of fat, but people thought of me as huge, but to go from 135-235 for you, would be about 5-10 years of intense, 5 days a week lifting, if you wantd to be totally ripped 235, like 5 percent body fat ripped. But if you say want to weight 185, and then go from there, and dont mine a little mroe fat, I dont mean actually fat, just not like real skinny, then you could get up to 185 in 2 or 3 years, not all of it would be lean muscle but you would look bigger. But dont look so far into the future, I mean if you go from 135, to 150, which shouldnt take to long with beginners gains, you wont believe how much better you will look, and how many compliments you will get if your actually building muscle, so dont worry about being "HUGE" just make 5 pound increases in lean body weight and you wont believe how much better you will look in no time.

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool, thanks a lot. Well I'll be joining the gym soon and this one has loads of equipment so Im sure they will have the stuff for those exercises. Is there any sites which give explanations for each exercise and like a little clip so you see what it looks like? That would be very helpful.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It needs to be reiterated to STAY AWAY FROM ISOLATION EXERCISES.

Compound movements that use more than one muscle (squats, deadlifts, pullups / pulldowns, military press, benchpress, etc.) are MUCH more effective. Some isolations you can't get away from (bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc.), though.

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh I don't think I'll be able to start working out after all. I can't afford the expensive joining fee and its quite a pricey monthly subscription after that. Oh well. Could I train at home if I bought a barbell kit and maybe a bench?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't make excuses!

If you REALLY wanted to workout, you would.

You would find the lowest priced gym and work just a FEW hours a week to pay the dues!

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
It isn't that...the Gym has an 'account setup' fee as well as an 'admin fee' which is basically £75 + the first monthly payment which is £30. I don't have this money and the fees are going up to the normal price tomorrow so it will cost double that. If I can get a decent home setup for around that money then I might as well..you are right Im not THAT bothered about it, I just want to look a bit better but I am not going to sink down 200 quid just to join the gym and then be forced into a 12 months contract. Im only 16 so I don't know if I will have my job for a whole year, I can't commit to such things at my age so I will have to train at home.

I was thinking, would a bench, a 50kg barbell/dumbell set and a fitness mat (to do abdominal stuff) be enough equipment to do excersises for my whole body.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont know about things there but here things like that can be negotiated. i would simply in a confident manner tell the owner that you would like to be a member but youre simply not going to pay an account setup fee or an administration feel. It doesnt cost them 75 to put you into the computer.

x0dus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yer I guess...Im going to try phoning again in a month or so because at the moment they have my details and the 'plan' that has been decided for me so Im going to try and see if there are any cheaper plans. My friend pays 25 a month apparently, but the cheapest for me was 30 a month? I don't know how that works as we are both 16.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
at my town there are some underground gyms with no machines and just barbells and weights. Search for a gym like that. You basicly only need a pull-up bar and a olympic bar to lift the big lifts which will make you grow fast. Maybe a calf raise machine too, those are pretty good IMO.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First thing. Fck the machines. Muscles build alot faster with free weights.

lavhoes

Don Juan
Reaction score
Could I train at home if I bought a barbell kit and maybe a bench?
Only if you had someone spot for you, and only for the first little while. I don't know how long that while is, but eventually you're going to outgrow your barbell set and will want to try many different exercises, not to mention you'll want guidance from people who could show you how to do those exercises.

Luckily enough, since I'm only 21 and staying with my family through the summer 'til uni starts up again, I have people around to watch me. Since you're only 16 this shouldn't be much of a problem. Figuring out the correct form of the exercises will be a bit harder, but there's instructions all over the 'net and if you practice with the bar only and without the plates going by the examples you see, you should be set. Remember to have someone there not just to spot you but to also tell you when you get off-balance or you aren't squatting enough or bending thoroughly or whatever.

A simple 160lb. barbell set would set you back about $100 (or, in your case, about £55) from a retail store, and certainly cheaper if you can find it used or on sale. It comes with a bar and 160lb. worth of plates, and you can always buy more when you outgrow your current set.

They have dumbell bars that come in sets of two for about $40 (or £22) that you put the barbell plates on to create the actual dumbells, so you don't have to buy a bunch of dumbells you'll likely outgrow in a month or two.

You'll also want a bench and a rack, which can cost anywhere from $50-100 (£27-55), as you'll want to sit on something when you bench press, as well as have something to put the barbell on when you're near exhaustion and you can't just toss it on the floor.

(However, benches are easily acquired, and racks can be made using really simple materials found at a home and gardening store. A couple of really thick pieces of wood, a couple of buckets filled with concrete, and you have your rack.)

You'll want a cable for certain exercises, but those are cheap. They're those rubbery springy cables you see people use. Not at all hard to find.

A mat is needed also, but they're easy and cheap as well.

Finally, you'll need some way to do dips and pullups. This is the tough part as pullup and dip bars are kinda expensive. But if you're creative, you'll figure something out.

All in all, I'd say about $200 (£110) will get you a decent home set-up for what you'll need starting out. As this is pretty much what you'd be paying for the first two-three months of gym access on fee alone, not counting all that access-fee and entry-fee crap, you'd be set long enough for you to figure out some way to get into a cheap gym. I know a few guys who have a home gym like this, and they've been lifting for years.

Hope this helps ya out some. I'm just starting out as well, and this is the route I'm going once I acquire all this stuff.