Starting a workout-questions

nikko49

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am going to be working out all this summer and plan to continue to when school starts. I have an idea of what I am going to be doing, but I have a few questions.

How much/what should I eat, should I eat before or after or both?

I want to run a mile everyday before my workout, is this okay?

I am going to the gym everyday, running a mile then doing this workout http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752 for 3 days, and just swimming in the pool for the other 4 days of the week. Is this okay or should I only go to the gym for those 3 days for that workout and not swimming in the pool?

HandyAndy

Banned
Reaction score

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1 book is all you need:

The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding - Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bill Dobbins.

Can be had for under $20.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be stronger-check.

Look better-define. Do you want to add 10lbs, or are you looking for a bigger transformation? Do you just want to lose some fat? Both?

The workout is good, stick with it. Look for Efforts Simple starting diet in the vault. It can be tweaked depending on your goals.

I like the swimming the other four days of the week-something like 30-45 minutes at a low-mod intensity will benefit recovery among other things, however the running is counterproductive to both strength and muscle gain. If you are looking to improve conditioning, I would recommend starting with one HIIT (high intensity interval training) once per week, and go from there. Such as on a rowing machine, elliptical, bike. Starting like this: 1 minute easy, 30s all out, and repeat 3 times. Week by week you increase until you are in the 15 minute range. Do this following one of your workouts as long as your legs aren't too toasted, if they are, sub it for a swimming day.

Make a log, and good luck.