Single Men Unable to Adopt

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This is a travesty

While nearly one third of all U.S. foster care adoptions are to single people, only five percent of those single adoptive parents are men. This is not because states prevent, or even discourage, single men from adopting. On the contrary, every state in this country —including Texas— allows adoptions by single people. But while the system may be open to single men who wish to adopt, adoption agencies, case workers, and those who perform home studies of potential adoptive parents may not be. And the reason is as insidious as it is unspoken

Garry’s longtime friend and attorney, Warren Wolf, says Garry’s ordeal proves the system not only is stacked against single men, it is grievously broken and not serving the very children it is meant to help. With so many kids in need of homes, it is unconscionable that like someone like Gary has wasted his entire life repeatedly petitioning the system, without success, to allow him to adopt, he says.

“He is sincere and he is well intentioned,” he says of Gary. “To put him through the ringer like this has been abusive.”

http://www.parentwiseaustin.com/Archive/2011-11/Why-Can’t-I-Adopt-Single-Man’s-Quest-Create-Family

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
If he was single and g a y, they would allow it. It would be discriminatory otherwise.

But as a straight guy, it's a no go.

It's too bad. He's very well educated and has experience with kids. He'd make a great single father.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All the agencies are scared sh!tless of placing a kid in a home with a child molester or child trafficker. It's like when there are natural disasters like the tsunami, and they won't adopt out any of the orphans, because they end up as some chomo's slave. Obviously, single men aren't the only people who do things like that, but the agencies are trying to avoid the "you should have known" argument. If a woman or a couple ends up being molesters, they can say there's no way they could have known. If a single guy ends up being one, everybody will think it's the agency's fault.

HoneyHitter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Single men should never adopt another man's child. That's like rewarding women for promescuity. Think about that.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would adopt a hot 17-1/2 year old, and do adoptive incest on her 18th birthday. :woo:

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HoneyHitter said:
Single men should never adopt another man's child. That's like rewarding women for promescuity. Think about that.
For the most part I agree. Now if it was my nephew and there was no where else for him to go, I would adopt him in a heartbeat. Family is the exception to this rule.

rearea

Don Juan
Reaction score
I understand why the hesitation.

Research shows that when a female lives with an older male who is not related to her, she is 16 times more likely to get sexually abused.

However, there are some single guys who wouldnt do that and would make great fathers but the bad apples ruin it for everybody.

I honestly dont know any single men that want to adopt someone else's kid unless they are gay. Most want kids of their own or maybe a family member's kid.

scrouds

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rearea said:
I understand why the hesitation.

Research shows that when a female lives with an older male who is not related to her, she is 16 times more likely to get sexually abused.

However, there are some single guys who wouldnt do that and would make great fathers but the bad apples ruin it for everybody.

I honestly dont know any single men that want to adopt someone else's kid unless they are gay. Most want kids of their own or maybe a family member's kid.
research? links / cites are required to prove your point

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
If he was single and g a y, they would allow it. It would be discriminatory otherwise.

But as a straight guy, it's a no go.
Actually it seems you didn't read the article:

-----------
“One of the problems is, when single parents come into an organization, it’s always a question about their sexual orientation, and many agencies presumably are not willing to place with gay and lesbian people or same sex couples: they have policies regarding that [or they] operate under ‘don’t ask don’t tell,’” says Gina Brockmeyer, an adoption coordinator with Adoption Services in Camp Hill, Penn.
-----------

So it sounds like the issue is not discrimination against single men qua single men. It's against single men qua potential homosexuals. That is, it's not discrimination against men, it's discrimination against homosexuality.

And given that the man in the story lives in Texas, this is probably multiplied by 10.