Silences

davester88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a very basic question, but many people have different answers. How to break awkward silences. This girl that I¡¯ve liked for a long time, but I don¡¯t really anymore ( background: asked her out twice first time was a straight no, second time she asked me if she could think about it and I said no cause I¡¯m not a guy that waits around on people, then she said she wasn¡¯t looking for anyone right now )

Back to my topic, I sit beside the chick in LA class, and we¡¯re always working and not talking. I don¡¯t really talk to her too much in class cause shes very into her work ( lots more than I am ) And I don¡¯t really know what to say. Any ideas/comments would be very appreciated as I am sure lots of you guys get some awkward pauses as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Patrick124

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dunno for that situation...i usually tell a funny story, or drop a neg-hit on her or something fun, usually that involves laughter.
in a calss situation i don't think its an "awkward silence" lol mor eof a "shhh i'm working" silence? class isn't a place to be DJing during work-time. dunno my opinion i guess.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Whip you **** out, and lay it on the table without saying a word, then you can proceed with one of 2 things.

1) When she looks up, just start telling a story likes its not there

2) Look at it, look at her, look back it it, look back at her, then snap you finger and point to her then to your crotch.

Ok now on a more serious note, I wouldnt worry about a silence in the classroom, I mean if all the work is done and you allowed to work, just drop a neg-hit like the guy said or tell a funny story about the past weekend or something.

davester88

Don Juan
Reaction score
well everyones talking and i just end up me and her quiet next to each other not saying anything somtimes.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I mean as a last ditch attempt, like if you just have been talking for like 5 or 10 minutes, and cant think of anything, then just get out of the conversation if possible.

Be like yeah I will be back later, just a sec, then just go over to someone else you know and strike up a conversation. If will knock her off her pedestal and you will escape an awakward conversation. I mean dont do it all the time or be an a-hole about it, but if you have to then thats what I would do.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
awkward silences = killers, proof of your afcness

We all know a big awkward silence moment is a sign that things ain't going right and you are messing up. It shows you guys are running out of things to talk about, she is starting to lose interest fast at that point! It proves you are an afc? why? because women are the creatures that love to talk, yet you have big awkward moments of silence in your date and that date happens to be the creature of the world that loves to talk!

think of this fantasy example, going out on a date with a calculator yet having problems counting how much to pay. Replace calculator with "woman" and replace "having problems counting how much to pay" with "having big awkward silent moments"

The solution to this problem is simple. KEEP HER TALKING! a man should talk 30% of the time while the female does the other 70%. Sosuave.com has articles on how to carry on conversations with women. The 30% of talking the man does on the date should be to keep the girl talking (asking the right questions). No dj can have big awkward silent moments in dates knowing that they are next to the worlds most talktative creature, WOMEN!

davester88

Don Juan
Reaction score
dont know if you read the topic, but it wasnt about a date, it's what to say in a school environment when we're just sitting there and some people are quiet and some arent etc.

tpntch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe The Homophobe
awkward silences = killers, proof of your afcness

We all know a big awkward silence moment is a sign that things ain't going right and you are messing up. It shows you guys are running out of things to talk about, she is starting to lose interest fast at that point! It proves you are an afc? why? because women are the creatures that love to talk, yet you have big awkward moments of silence in your date and that date happens to be the creature of the world that loves to talk!

think of this fantasy example, going out on a date with a calculator yet having problems counting how much to pay. Replace calculator with "woman" and replace "having problems counting how much to pay" with "having big awkward silent moments"

The solution to this problem is simple. KEEP HER TALKING! a man should talk 30% of the time while the female does the other 70%. Sosuave.com has articles on how to carry on conversations with women. The 30% of talking the man does on the date should be to keep the girl talking (asking the right questions). No dj can have big awkward silent moments in dates knowing that they are next to the worlds most talktative creature, WOMEN!

What if she is just shy??

Marf

Don Juan
Reaction score
Then it's your job to bring her out of her shell, k?

Most of the time she isn't shy; she just finds you uninteresting...

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Say: "Well, that was a conversation killer, wasn't it?". Say it lightheartedly and try and at least get a smile - then after her reaction (she'll probably say something) just go into something completely different and situational.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shes not into her work as much as you think and shes not into you at all, which might be the reason she pretends to be into her work harcore. leave it at that, it doesnt matter shes not interested in you. you should have ignored her ever since she straight up say no to you, have some self respect, DONT BEG. **** man, i dont mean to be so harsh but just forget about her, shes not into you and shell never be if you continue to be like this!

kidkoala

Don Juan
Reaction score
just on awkaward silences in general. They don't prove your AFCness they are rather your time to shine. Say to the girl something like "Wow I'm so proud of you, you handled that awkward silence so well" (BTW I got that from David Deangeolo; you have to check out his stuff) PeAcE.