Should a non-virgin bride wear white?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was reading this article about wedding trends, and it got me thinking ...

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/traditional-white-weddings-trends-ambush-weddings-175511239.html

It seems that the significance of the white wedding dress is that the bride is chaste, saving up up her modesty for one man. Thanks to The Pill and the destruction of the strong monogamous schema that had served civilization for so long that it has brought, I consider the wedding ceremony more or less to be just a bunch of BS that lets women "re-virgin" themselves for one day. :down:

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Weddings are about the mother of the bride.

Most of the rituals in weddings are weirdly archaic and anachronistic.

For example, check out the etiology of the best man and groomsmen.

White dresses are the least of it.

Ripley Fitzroy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I really hate the idea of a color signifying virginity. The whole idea is just sexist. The many isn't advertising his past sexual history, so why do women?

I'm pretty sure you can't gather anything by the color of the wedding dress. Most women wear white and most have had sex.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Short answer? No.

But if you take the red pill, and accept reality for what it is, there really isn't a way around it in this day and age. We're almost TOO free.

CrimsonPanther

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i don't umderstand how anyone would care about the colour of the bride's dress besides the bride herself :))
and that virginity stuff is so overrated anyway. it won't guarantee ANYTHING. she can still cheat even if you are the first and only, and still can be a harpy of a woman.
the only thing different is that you will get messy the first time, which to me is no benefit.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that virginity stuff is pretty well out the window. White these days is thought to signify a first marriage.

Some women wear white in subsequent marriages too, but that is considered to be tacky.

ive

Don Juan
Reaction score
"The first documented instance of a princess who wore a white wedding gown for a royal wedding ceremony is that of Philippa of England.
This was not a widespread trend, however: prior to the Victorian era, a bride was married in any color, black being especially popular in Scandinavia.
White became a popular option in 1840, after the marriage of Queen Victoria to Albert of Saxe-Coburg, where Victoria wore a white gown to incorporate some lace she prized.
Later, many people assumed that the color white was intended to symbolize virginity, though this was not the original intention: it was the color blue that was connected to purity, piety, faithfulness, and the Virgin Mary."
:D