Short / Thin / Young -- How Much of a Disadvantage?

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering this; I am:

a) 18
b) quite short, 172cm, so a little below average
c) very thin; slender build

Now, a I can't change, nor b, but c I can obviously have a crack at improving. However, that won't happen overnight.

But what I want to know is, how much of a handicap are those 3 attributes? Because to me, I see all the tall, well built guys getting all the hookups with good girls, while blokes like me seem to settle for "long term relationships" with 4/10 girls. Is it really such a big handicap?

TillTheEndOfTime

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been a big supporter around here that looks DO matter and height DOES matter and that these cannot be taken out of the equation completely.

However, there are things you can do to minimize the impact of them on a girls decision to be with you. I am willing to bet that these blokes you speak of who settle for LTR with "4/10's" have a serious confidence problem that stem from their negative self-image due to being short, or not as good looking as some of the other guys.

Yes, it is a handicap. How BIG of a handicap it is depends on YOU. If you're going to let it knock your confidence down like those blokes, then it's a big handicap. If you work on your confidence and at least improving what you can (i.e. build more muscle), then it will be a small handicap.

The decision is up to you. Cry about it (big handicap), or DO SOMETHING about it (small handicap)!

diceman

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's only a handicap in your mind.

It's your attitude thats important. If you feel like you ARE sexy & you genuinly feel sorry for the women who will never have the luck to be in your presence, then you have a HUGE advantage over anyone taller, older or well built.

TheBends86

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TillTheEndOfTime
I am willing to bet that these blokes you speak of who settle for LTR with "4/10's" have a serious confidence problem that stem from their negative self-image
You are totally correct. They are people who get gfs only from talking to them on MSN, or when drunk, or by being a friend for years then declaring their undying love. AFCs...

I tend to think your post is where my gut feelings lie on this issue.

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a handicap that's only mental. Read the threads/posts/bible sections (if any) about controlling social situations. My favourite is dance floor, because (frankly speaking) when the best you've got is running around shoving your crotch on her ass, it doesn't take much to steal the entire show (and steal I does).

From my observations while checking out new clubs, places that play hip-hop/rap music tend to attract a lot of HBs -- no offence meant here, but it's pop music, everybody knows the songs, and HBs go to have fun, AW, and so forth. It's great, really.

What I do is one of two things to show 'I exist', since I used to solo almost exclusively -- start dance battles and chat up people in wheelchairs. What I mean by 'I exist' isn't a sort of attention whorish act, but a different kind of opener -- you open to nobody but everybody sees you. I had/have great difficulty keeping conversations because I tended not to know much about the person, and felt that asking her 20 questions about her life was boring boring boring. Nuts to that. Anyway, dance battles are easy -- learn to breakdance (or liquid, or any 'style' -- I've actually managed to do this by 'miming' an energy ball and dancing around with it), and virtually every time (are there areas with high BDing demographics?) you are unique as a dancer. And no, you don't really need to be as good as say, Crazy Legs -- I was able to draw crowds way way back when I first was actually PRACTICING breakdancing on the floor. Looking back, it was probably that I was totally confident with myself. It helps that you don't mess up and fail to recover.

The other method of getting attention was rather subtle, and it actually took a HB to grab me and drag me off to dance right after that I realised 'oh s** people actually notice me!' -- I suppose I've been applying the 'I don't give a s**' attitude too much. Anyway, when I'm not out there dancing and wrecking havoc, I usually start chatting up the people on 'death row' -- get them to hit on girls, to dance, to do ANYTHING. Sometimes there will be men on wheelchairs just hanging out.

Now I'm not sure if this is universal, but in my experience, they get insane attention from HBs -- chatting, dancing, etc. If you befriend them early, and are geniunely caring about having fun, rather than 'look at me I'm an AW!', you can easily command the attention of all those HBs who noticed our wheelchair riding friend -- dance battle the guy. I was dancing really low to the ground, mimicking his dance moves more-or-less (like crouching down and spinning, using my hands more than my legs) -- the crowd went wild, we were having fun, and afterwards HBs wanted to dance with us. Then all you have to do is perform your number/close/eject schemes!

PoS

Don Juan
Reaction score
172cm is about 5'7 in american height. I'm almost 5'9 and i don't feel short at all. You're about average.

JT47319

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahahaha. I'm 5"6, Asian in an all white rich neighborhood, and while I've got a little bit of muscle, you couldn't tell to look at me.

Looks always matters, ALWAYS (and by the same degree race matters as well). But it's your GAME that can put you over the top.

duke007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right now I'm with an HB7-7.5 with a killer personality who is 2 years older than me, 2 inches taller than me and noticeably bigger than me. (Not fat, just bigger than my very thin frame)

It worked because I didnt' act insecure about it. It's all in your head.

penguin

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree that it is mental. Of course height and build has SOME impact on the ladies, but i'm willing to bet you think it's more than it really is.

If you have a thin build, you will only seem insecure to the ladies if you are insecure. Same with height. Same with anything else.

The disadvantage isn't in these traits directly, it's in your perception of the importance of these traits, so you mentally paralyze yourself and THAT is where your real disadvantage lies.