She's got a guy, but should I go for the number?

MFDoom

Reaction score
Alright guys, this is my first post here, so I'll try and keep it relativly short.

There's a chick, obviously. We work together, and we've been talking for a while. We have a good time, laughing and interesting subjects usually, she seems to laugh at my stupid jokes even. Eye contact is there, steady and usually with a smile. Playful joking occurs, occasionally with some playful pushing and hitting. So all seems well, right? Well, the boyfriend thing comes in here. With signs like these I'd usually just ask the girl out, but now I'm sort of stuck. I want to ask for a number or something, I'm just not sure if it would be weird or akward.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not blinded by this girl, so to speak. I definitly am looking for and talking to other girls. Just seems like something clicked here.

Oh well, tell me what you think guys.

ali_g

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go for the digits first. Take note of how easily you get the digits or if you get them at all. That'll give an indication of her interest in you before you consider asking her out.

Reaction score
If a girl wanted you she would never bring her boyfriend up in convo - she is trying to humble your thoughts by telling you she is taken!!!!!

MFDoom

Reaction score
Well, she only brought her boyfriend up when we first started talking. And that was only once or twice. Since then she hasn't spoken a word of him. So I figuered that was another good sign. I was just wondering if you guys would think that it might seem strange me asking for her number and all even when I know shes got a boyfriend.

still the one

Don Juan
Reaction score
If i was you i would not ask for the number because since she has mentioned that she has a boyfriend early on i'm pretty certain that was a subtle hint from her telling you that she is taken and girls are quite subtle. I agree with what PuertoRican_Lover posted as well if she wanted you she would have never mentioned that she has a boyfriend but she did - not a good sign. If you go ahead with asking for her number you might destroy your friendship with her and things could be quite awkward with her after that. I suggest leaving this person alone and leave things the way they are and go after other girls. I have been in situations exactly like yours before and i asked her out and it wasn't very nice after that but maybe you have to learn from experience. Good luck.

Trance

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If she is the type of screwing around, she might have mantioned she has a boyfriend cause that way u get to know it wont get serious with you, but maybe some fooling around... This chance is the least common.

Other chance she just likes to flirt a little bit to bost her ego, or she might just be outgoing and nice.

Anyway, go for it and check her reaction. While you ask her look in her eyes like saying, "oh baby, im gona give you the time of your life..."

Matlm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PuertoRican_Lover
If a girl wanted you she would never bring her boyfriend up in convo - she is trying to humble your thoughts by telling you she is taken!!!!!
I don't agree with you man. It's not so black and white. its not worth anaylizing.

To the topic poster. If you want her number then do it, if you don't, then don't ask for it. If your feeling any reservations about doing it, then don't. Any action should be spontanous.

Planning is for war, personal goals, and politics. Not for socializing.

Hubris

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd go for it only if you have a reason to get her number.

Like maybe the work guys are going out drinking and if she'd like to come you'll need her number or something.

I think care and subtlete are needed.

However, for all you know she may be on the outs with this guy and if you aren't trying she may be scooped up by someone else.

Don Rageta

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have never met a girl that didn't give her number specifically because she had a boyfriend. she either gives it because she wants to make him jealous, is looking to trade up, is looking to cheat, wants to raise her self esteem, wants another friend, or she doesn't because she has a low il.

ever thought she only brought up a fake boyfriend when she first met you because she needed to find out your intentions. chicks play that card all the time. if she doesn't bring him up daily than the light is green.

MFDoom

Reaction score
Well, I've seen the boyfriene before, so I know it wasn't a fake. She still doesn't talk about him at all though.

Conversation has been at an all time high with her as of late, getting good response to my jokes and a lot more playful hitting. Gettin' plenty of neg-hits in there too, just to keep her in place ;) .

I dunno, I'll probably be quiting this job in a few weeks or maybe a month or two to move on to new and more exciting things, so I was thinking I could get it before I leave as a way to keep in touch maybe, how does that sound?

Kineti[C]harm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PuertoRican_Lover
This is just plain incorrect. Girls will even use stuff like this to PROTECT themselves because they want you but it's wrong.

Reaction score
If a girl is just about to break up and leave her beau she would never tell a guy she has a b/f - she'll be on his jock! But she mentioned it twice this tells me she is ok with her b/f for now unless you have something that she is looking for that she is not getting. You have two weeks left - I would pose the question, "are you in a serious long term relationship with your b/f"if she says, "not really' then go for digits. If she says, "yes", then tell her you respect that, and leave her alone!