Sense of humour

mr. kennedy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Many women say it's the most important trait in a guy (it might come after looks, status etc, but it's still pretty high).

How can one improve his sense of humour? Are watching stand up and hanging out with people with good sense of humour the only ways?

Mr Wright

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say watching stand up doesnt help, thats a performance, you want to be more situationally funny. Notice stand up comics arent raking in a load of pvssy even though women love funny guys.

Watch panel comedy shows or i guess you could sit there and watch the news and try to think of ways to make it funny.

TheCWord

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Best advice is not to force it. If you're not naturally funny, focus on your other attributes. There is nothing worse in this world than somebody who is not funny trying to be funny.

cof33

Don Juan
Reaction score
watch seinfeld personally i like how jerry handled his relationships ppl talk bout californication show bs i think jerry was a real ass DJ plus he had a femalre friend who he could get it if he wanted...

honestly get all seasons and see how dorky guys like jer n george can get it just by bein funny i know its a show but its veery real and funny because they just dont care lol

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheCWord said:
Best advice is not to force it. If you're not naturally funny, focus on your other attributes. There is nothing worse in this world than somebody who is not funny trying to be funny.
Good advice.

I've noticed that some of you guys seem like you're way too serious..... all of the time. No wonder you never get laid, it's all business. Lighten up.

Smile and relax. View the world as a playground. LOOK for the humor in things. You'll see, it will come.

CrispyG

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the best thing you can do here is become well read, and learn to use your words. I agree with what has been said already here, you can't force being funny, it won't work, and you also probably won't gain a lot from watching stand up (although you will be able to see some things, such as timing, etc.). It helps to know what's going on in the world and a lot about current events, pop culture etc so you can make funny references when things come up in conversation. You gotta know what's going on, or you won't be able to say anything relevant other than bad out of context forced jokes that have nothing to do with what's happening in the conversation.

In reality, being funny at a party or in a group just comes down to the way you handle your words...you can make a lot of things funny by the way you tell the story. People who aren't naturally very funny tend to tell stories in a very matter of fact way and then try to add a punch line or something, but it's really not about that. It's about the delivery, and some people either have it or they don't.

You can improve of course by learning to spin yarns. Take a simple, boring, standard story about a dude getting drunk and throwing up for example. That's not that funny in a 'omg this guy is hilarious' kind of way, but if you're a funny guy, you can spin it to make it sound really hilarious in the way you describe the situation, you have to be a storyteller, not a fact giver. Some talk radio hosts are good at this, and some of them can be quite funny, this is afterall what they are paid to do...you may learn a thing or two from listening to some of em. Being funny is about being an observer. It's not for everyone. Some people just don't really think, aren't that analytical, don't really have a lot to say or can't spin things around into ways that are funny or interesting. You have to be true to yourself here.

Tread lightly. Most girls aren't expecting you to be a comedian. It's fun to be that guy, and you can get attention from it, but it's more important to just not take yourself that seriously, and that counts as a 'sense of humour' for a lot of girls.

mr. kennedy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
^ Not sure that's enough. In a lot of online profiles, the sentence "I'm looking for someone that can make me laugh" comes up the most.

CrispyG

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, true - but that doesn't mean you have to be stand up funny, or even funny enough to make a group laugh. You have to work with your strengths. Not everybody has what it takes to walk in a room and be the center of the table in 10 minutes spinning crazy stories and making every woman within table radius moist and weak at the knees.

Girls do appreciate a guy who can be 'funny', and generally when they say that it means a guy who can make a joke or two, be willing to make light of situations, and make her smile. That's very different to being a 'funny' guy. Most guys can get to this level I think. Of course I don't know what kind of guy you are, some people have more potential to get better than others, I don't know what your voice is like, what your personal skills are like, too many factors to be able to just say 'do this'. It's different for everybody.

Anyway just something to think about. You have to be you - you have to become the person YOU want to be, not some guy that's trying to be a little bit funny 'cause some women say they like 'funny' guys on a dating website. Women also say they want lots of things but what they fall for isn't nessessarily anything close. That's why I think online dating is severely limiting. That said - again, if you are a relaxed guy who can make her smile and giggle (which won't be hard at ALL if she's into you) then you're fine.

sharkbeat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't have to be a standup comedian funny.

Just be an easy going guy. If you are happy enough with your life, you will naturally be able to make fun of things as they go.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You either have this trait or you don't. Hell, it's like a talent. Whatever you do, DO NOT force it. You will be an instant puṣṣy repellant! Start small and gauge your reactions. Great comedy has a certain element of "oh, I didn't see it that way", with a completely different, askew view of said situation.

I would also recommend watching a ton of comedy in general and find what makes you laugh most of the time. "That" element is what you will ultimately use to develop your style. If you think lighting a baby on fire is hilarious, then you have a cringe-humor attraction. If you hate cursing, like it clean, it is the opposite.
Find your comedic niche. But in the end, if you have to put all this work into being funny, it will not be natural and you will multiply your dorkhood by 10 fold Experiment with it.

cof33

Don Juan
Reaction score
being funny is all about delivery i used to b the funny man on hs and sometimes i would wonder why errbody woul laugh at my lame jokes.

instead of watching stand up,imagine how comedians prepare to it,reading loud errday for 10 min is really the solution to b funny,when you got a top delivery u can say wtf you want and make it funny

iamnobody

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
VladPatton said:
You either have this trait or you don't. Hell, it's like a talent. Whatever you do, DO NOT force it.
^ This. If you don't have it, it's not a deal breaker. If you do have it, you'll do better. But you can develop it in a healthy way: expose yourself to comedy, read good comedy books, etc. Don't force it. Like everything else worth developing, it takes time.
As a side note, I know plenty of funny betas who can't get any. Humor without balls is nothing.

Brosy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't be fooled into thinking this is an attribute you need to gain because they say they want it. If they want you already they giggle at everything you say funny or not.

They also say they want sweet, sensitive and attentive guys....

Last edited:

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There aren't many formulas for humor because each person is so different. Look for the bizarre things in life and double-entendres.

Humor can be a double-edged sword. Overused, it turns you into a clown and you will be treated disrespectfully and marginalized. Humor must be balanced with seriousness and sobriety.

I would imagine that these days there might be some good books about developing humor on Amazon. The reviews should be pretty helpful in determining what would be useful.

BigSmooth

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch how Conan O' Brien, Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, and Craig Ferguson interact when they interview people on their shows.

I love Conan and he is a very funny guy who can make almost any situation naturally funny.

donking

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
women SAY they want a guy with a sense of humor... and we know what a woman SAYS she wants and ... what she REALLY wants ...

rule 1. ignore 95% of what comes out of a woman's mouth

Mr Wright

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donking said:
women SAY they want a guy with a sense of humor... and we know what a woman SAYS she wants and ... what she REALLY wants ...
Disagree, some women find men who dont have a sense of humour awkward. It's a case of them thinking that they're not laughing so they pass it off as awkward. Humour is important because it can break tension and as long as its for your own benefit, it can only be a good thing.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Easiest way to get a girl interested is to make her laugh.....but not at you. :)

devilkingx2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I advocate always being funny and never being serious

it's my way of life, and I get compliments on my humor from more or less everyone except my friends(we're like that, we always poke fun but rarely compliment each other... granted my 2 main friends are just as funny as me.)

me being hilarious has never HURT me with women, soooooo