Running...?

akeith90

Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the best way to get faster and have more endurance by running? This is partly for me, and others. The people I know want to lose some weight, and be able to run 3 miles non-stop by next June (07, not 06). I want to be able to do it by this August.

Right now I can run a mile in a lil under 7 min or so. Probably closer to 6:30 (not good, I know). But I can ONLY run 1 mile. The person that wants to run 3 miles (lets call that person Fred) can't even run a 400 without stopping. So I have my work cut out if I want to get Fred up to speed.

What is the best way to get Fred into shape?

Today we ran:
3 x 40's
1 x 100's
1 x 200
2 x 100's
2 x 40's
in that order. So it's a total of 700 yards, and after it Fred was somewhat tired. But he insisted that he wouldn't be able to run a 300 or else we would've ran one of those and a 400 instead of the extra 100's and 40's.

Should next time we run, do something like:
5 x 40's
2 x 100's
1 x 200
1 x 300

then the time after that add a 400? And just keep adding until they can run 2000 yards easy, and start training on the mile?

Please give me advice, and even a training plan if you can.
The most we'll be doing is 2 or 3 times a week, with little to no weight training, because Fred does want to lose some weight too. So anything helping with losing weight (w/o changing diet) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to understand it takes time to build up strength and stamina. Stick to your routine, it's fine; make it more intensive, and difficult - so you end up crawling on your *ss to get home. Never stop, and keep it up, and results will follow.

You need to push, and motivate "Fred." When he's getting tired, pump him up. Piss him off; get his adrenaline flowing.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell Fred hes a f*cking ***** for not continuing if he quits. Tell him he'll amount to nothing if he just gives up when it gets hard.

3 Miles non stop? Better work your way up in distances. You're alright for now, but every week or two, increase the distances that you run. I'm not a distance runner by any means, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I put in about 3 miles, three times a week. On the middle day, I do a serious sprint for a full mile to try and run the mile as quickly as possible. Sometimes I run so hard that I can only manage 2 miles before i'm completely fatigued. I try to toss swimming into the mix also since it is a full body workout that works your endurance as well.

Mon/Wed/Fri (3 miles)
Drink Lots of Water
Drink at least 3 protein shakes weekly with 60g of protein per shake

Sometimes i'll get up on some creatine but i haven't in a few months.