Rippetoe's and Fitness

Carpe.Diem

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wondering what the feasibility of doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine along with some interval training for cardiovascular profficency - 3 x 5 squats 3 times a week surely means your legs are fried the whole time?

I'm looking for strength, size and fitness in roughly that order: a capable/aesthetically pleasing physique essentially.

I'm 60Kg (132lbs), 5'7'' and just turned 18 years old. My max 2 x 5 lifts coming off a 7 week period on the second workout routine on the website sticky:

Deadlift - 115Kg (253lbs)
Squat - 92.5Kg (203.5lbs)
Incline Bench - 62.5kg (137.5lbs)

I've read a little about complexes on off days - maybe they're the way to go?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
do two moderate intensity cardio sessions a week on the elliptical or stationary bike . 30min on any 2 off days.

thechosenone2190

Don Juan
Reaction score
i play intense pick up basketball games at least twice a week while doing rippetoes. i usually play basketball on a different day, and my knees are fine.

my schedule is this, mon, wed, fri, lift weights
sat and sun, play basketball
sometimes i play basketball on tues, sometimes i play basketball before or after lifting weights. my love for the game enables me to do this

Carpe.Diem

Reaction score
@ Mr.Positive: that's a great link! My initial set up was all wrong too, I was starting with my shins touching the bar and it felt alot easier in the gym yesterday even if it felt a little unnatural at first. Thanks for sharing.

Just a question on the moderate cardio: what kind of heart rate does that involve? 60%, 70%..?