Religion in public schools: yay or nay?

purplefrogmilk

Reaction score
I read online today that religion may become a daily part of the public schools in my town. I think this is pointless, considering that students constantly try to force their religion down other student's throats with no success. Agree or disagree? Also, what would you think if your school began trying to teach students about Christianity?

mr_guido

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, because actually, most of the time it's not a bad thing. Since I'm of Italian/European descent, I'm Catholic and have been since my first day. Now I attended a Christian (Baptist) school, and for the most part, such as grades 1-6, it was completely fine. However, once I moved into grades 7-8 (I quit that school after that as it was just stupid) things got a little different. Now, if you guys know anything about Christianity, you'll know that the baptists (NOT all of them, it's just the handful that do that give baptists this rep), for whatever odd reason, do not like us Catholics. They make up weird things about us, say we worship Mary (which we do NOT - we have a prayer dedicated to her as she's pretty important!) and that we aren't actually Christians. Really though, without the Catholic church, there would be no Protestant (Baptist) Church. :yes:

So, I was bugged, teased, the teachers singled me out, when really I was no different from anyone. I'm totally not introverted either, I'm a fun-loving, happy go lucky type of person. But, it was the most bizzarre, most un-christian behaviour I'd ever seen. Plus, since all of these kids were brought up well, when they hit middle school they start to rebel. There were kids hiding liquor in their locker, smoking weed behind the gym, and stuff that happens at any regular school.

The other thing that was very odd was the insane amount of cliques. WAY more than public school, because of this narrow-mindedness that they got because of their religion. The teachers, for the most part, had this too. So, I think that the principles of teaching Christianity would be good to have in public schools, as they teach valuable lessons, however, sometimes things can go sideways just because kids (or teachers) think that they're different from everyone else. They made it their own sort of cult thing. So I'd say it's not a bad thing if it's just a public school, because true Christianity has some good stuff.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mr. guido, as a former catholic I have to inform you that primarily in the south america and asia countries who are catholic worship the virgin mary and the saints equally to the Lord Jesus Christ. You are correct that their would be no protestant church if the catholic religion didn't exist, but your missing one thing. It was the roman empire who created the catholic church and when true christians did not bow to the pope, they created the inquisition and other schemes to eliminate true christians and jews so they could recapture Jerusalem. When the muslim didn't cooperate with their scheme, thats when centuries of Crusades happened and thousands died in the name of the pope.

To the op, you do know public schools had bible teaching and reading integrated into the system up until the mid 60's, and when they stopped it crime and vandalism increased significantly over the decades.

mr_guido

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not so much 'worshipping' as what you would call praying to, or asking of forgiveness and recognizing as well as paying respects and hommage to Mary. When the word 'worshipping' is introduced, that is when we Catholics are named as non-Christians, as they falsely assume that we idolize Mary and hold her in higher regard than God. Weird stuff :) Now your information was almost correct, except for some minor details - I guess it's because it's only been two years since I studied this in school, whereas I think it's been more than two years for you as you're a Senior DJ lol. The Romans did not create Catholicism for the purpose of capturing Jerusalem, but solely for the purpose so that the Roman Empire could have their own branch of Christianity, started by the Jews, as the Roman Empire was so large and extensive they had to have their own form of various things. The Spanish led the inquisitions, however they were done to find out who weren't true Christians - this was done later on after the Greek Orthodox and the Protestant Church had been formed. But yes, Bible teachings are actually a good thing in public school systems. I agree with you 100% on that :D

mr_guido

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not so much 'worshipping' as what you would call praying to, or asking of forgiveness and recognizing as well as paying respects and hommage to Mary. When the word 'worshipping' is introduced, that is when we Catholics are named as non-Christians, as they falsely assume that we idolize Mary and hold her in higher regard than God. Weird stuff :) Now your information was almost correct, except for some minor details - I guess it's because it's only been two years since I studied this in school, whereas I think it's been more than two years for you as you're a Senior DJ lol. The Romans did not create Catholicism for the purpose of capturing Jerusalem, but solely for the purpose so that the Roman Empire could have their own branch of Christianity, started by the Jews, as the Roman Empire was so large and extensive they had to have their own form of various things. The Spanish led the inquisitions, however they were done to find out who weren't true Christians - this was done later on after the Greek Orthodox and the Protestant Church had been formed. But yes, Bible teachings are actually a good thing in public school systems. I agree with you 100% on that :D