Rate these illustrations poetry I made

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are three basic rules to writing poetry.
  1. Poetry has to be emotional. That doesn't mean it must to be on AFC subject like unrequited love but it has to stir emotions in the reader.
  2. Poetry should not be banal. A poem about simple pleasures like having beer or going to the beach is unlikely to elicit an emotional response.
  3. Poetry should not be simplistic. That doesn't mean that you have to write like Shakespeare, with the reader having to take a university course to try to understand what your poem is about. However, poetry is ultimately the art of using language in a beautiful way. If your poem reads like a tweet or a text to a friend, it's not a good poem.
To be a good poet, you have to be talented and, to some extent, you also have to be an emotionally troubled person. Why do you think all good musicians/performance artists are so messed up? Think of your favourite band and the lyrics to their songs. Chances are, you like their songs because they make you feel. The mental state required to compose powerful poetry comes from a place of deep hurt, emotional trauma, and, often, substance abuse. It is rarely a product of a happy childhood, loving parents, healthy living and emotional wellbeing.
Really? What about Laid back artists like Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffet and Sugar Ray? There music seem like you want to just unwind not go on a wild rave. lol

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you guys look for in a poem? Commonalities? Something you can relate to?

I try not to write AFC themed poems, I like to write relatable and spiritual poems.
That's the thing, you as the poet must find ways to surprise the audience. I'll give you some homework; make sure you have 50 favorite poets, and study their work.

Why? Just ask a DJ/ producers, film maker, rapper, jazz musician, bass player, kickboxer ect how much they know about their profession ...they are walking encyclopedias...
Really? What about Laid back artists like Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffet and Sugar Ray? There music seem like you want to just unwind not go on a wild rave. lol

Sounds pretty troubled to me...

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's the thing, you as the poet must find ways to surprise the audience. I'll give you some homework; make sure you have 50 favorite poets, and study their work.

Why? Just ask a DJ/ producers, film maker, rapper, jazz musician, bass player, kickboxer ect how much they know about their profession ...they are walking encyclopedias...

Sounds pretty troubled to me...
Yeah man, Cat Stevens was one of my favorite artist I liked to listen to back in College, so was Jack Johnson.

I realized now I'm more of a spectator when it comes to The Arts rather than doer. Check this song out, You've got to experience some sad stuff to write songs like this. I like to read novels and occasionally write here and there, I swear if ever crap hits the fan emotionally for me, I might as well write a novel lol.

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But back to Art, I’ve taken up playing guitar and know some basic chords. I’ve got an okay punk rock, raspy voice when I sing.

I play acoustic guitar. I already know a few songs….anyone here plays guitars at cafes or open house venues? Anyone here got some girls’ attention after the show? LOL…..

It doesn’t matter, I’d still be playing even if I were to get laid or not haha

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thought about even Street Busking for fun for a few bucks downtown. Probably some country or tejano/tex-mex songs that the people here can relate to or culturally vibe with.

IMG_7979.png

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I write mostly improv poetry at art events
Martyn Klook typing at VP 8-5-22 photo by Philip.JPG
The microphone picked up the sound of my typing and added sound effects.

Or just in the street.
Martyn Klook Valentijn Nieuwmarkt typing.jpeg

And I post the poems on my IG.
SHRIKE royal qdl.jpeg