Question for you college graduates

russian2

Don Juan
Reaction score
i am just making this topic to see how many people got a degree in something and got a job that has something/nothing to do with their degree... so please answer this

If you completed college:
what was your degree in
what career did you end up taking off with afterward?

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't need no doggone college. I ain't no fancy boy.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mpimpin, this isn't the 20s, anyone can go to college.

Ingeniarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't finished college yet, but my ex-boss was a solid state phycisist with a PhD doing complex mathematical marketing research for a chemical company. My dad does the same thing with a PhD in chemistry (for another company not related to the chemical industry). Lots of engineers end up doing marketing or consulting.

guitarak

Reaction score
well I studied music, and I teach music at a private school. But I had a lot of strange and random jobs before reaching this point (carpenter, English teacher, commercial fisherman, translator).

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BS in Electronics Engineering, finishing off my MS in Electrical Engineering
I work in Power Utilities here in LA. I love my job :up:

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mpimpin said:
I don't need no doggone college. I ain't no fancy boy.
FTR I was only joking. I'm still in college.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BS - Economics of Environmental Policy Making
Job - Financial Planner/Advisor

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A Bachalors and Masters in mechanical engineering.
I work as a project mechanical engineer now. My "career" just started, so no real thoughts on it yet. The sitting behind a desk bit is rather boring. Just got a new job that looks like a good blend of everything - I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping it'll be better than my last job.

Sandow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
B.S.- Sociology
Job- Fraud Investigator

But it really doesn't matter what you graduate with. It's not an Advanced Degree.

russian2

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sandow said:
B.S.- Sociology
Job- Fraud Investigator

But it really doesn't matter what you graduate with. It's not an Advanced Degree.
it kind of matters thought. i couldnt get a degree in political science and then go do business marketing in real life. or could i...

Sandow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course you can. My brother was a chemistry major and now works in Human Resources. My other friend was a womens studies major and she is now assistant manager at a rental car company.

A B.A. is not an advanced degeree, meaning it's very liberal and doesn't necessarily prepare you for a certain profession. It basically just means, "hey look at me I'm educated and I can make committments and follow through on them." There are some degrees that are more specific and may help (like engineering) if you want to be an engineer. But generally speaking, graduating college doesn't prepare you for a specific profession. Just makes u look educated. If you really want to specialize in something than you can get a masters or ph.d (M.D., J.D., M.B.A.)

actionjaxson

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rhoto said:
BS - Economics of Environmental Policy Making
Job - Financial Planner/Advisor
how do you like that job?
im taking financial management and i have an option of specializing in financial planning. the other option is financial services. i dont know which one i should choose.

russian2

Don Juan
Reaction score
what the hell is the point of college if you dont take classes preparing you in jobs that you get when you get out? lol.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BA in Biology

I currently work for UPS, but it's a temp job.

I'm actually continuing on with school to later be a nurse, so my degree will be related to my career

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like to get too cynical, but college is not what "they" say it is. It depends on the degree, but after you graduate from college and see "the real world", you look back and see the whole system was a scam.

They sell you on this dream of, "earn a college degree, and that's how you'll be successful". They paint this picture of blue skies, a picket fence, and you can go off and be successful.

But no one points out the huge variance in degrees, and the variance across the country (with housing, rent, cost of living). In a lot of cities, a degree means very little or anything (after student loan paybacks, rent, etc).

Not every degree of course, like engineering or law. But the system tries to paint this happy, all encompassing answer. So be wary. And keep your critical thinking skills in college.

Degree, '04 in Finance.

Current job, marketing related.

Sandow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There was an article on it, but a degree these days isn't nearly what it was 15 years ago. In the past, people with B.A.'s made a lot more money than they do now. There could be a lot of reasons for this. So many people have degrees now that the value has significantly dropped. Employoyers mostly look for experience instead.

I used to think that going to a good university mattered too. Well I was wrong on that. Frankly they don't really care. I'm kind of pissed because I busted my a$$ to get into a UC and it now doesn't matter.

What a B.A. will do however, is get you in the door. It'll allow you to interview for a job but after that it's pretty much meaningless. I guess it makes you look educated but that's about it. Though some jobs do require at least a B.A. for your credentials. But employers are figuring out that experience is more important than a degree.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Academic Acheivement VS Academic Attainment.

It's what you know VS what you can legally say you know. (I.E. Degree)

Unless it's a very specific degree your after (like the mechanics of quantum neutrino fields/ Wonton Burrito Fields) it's just basically showing that you can take on responsibilities without flaking.

Unless you go into trades. That's different since you can't study electricity and end up a gas technician.