Question About Running

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know it helps you lose weight.
False.

Running will increase your heart rate, strengthen your heart and lungs, and burn calories. Calorie deficit will create weight loss, and running will enhance a calorie deficit. Running itself will not help you lose weight.

High intensity running will promote fat loss while retaining muscle.

Low intensity or steady state cardio will promote calorie burning but will also allow for muscle loss.

Read up on HIIT and steady state cardio on the boards. There's a good discussion of it in the CUTTING GUIDE.

JBalfour4

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
.............so running does help you lose weight. Because running = less calories = lose weight.

Sorry man. I'm no expert. I just wanted to get some info for you. Do that HIT stuff semag is talking about.
Its all good AFK Protector, I thank both of you guys for the info.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
.............so running does help you lose weight. Because running = less calories = lose weight.
Ha ha ha... ok, in a very technical sense, you're right bud :D

However, what I was saying is that you shouldn't do what most of america does and think that running is THE way to lose weight. The calories you'll burn from running aren't THAT big, and you have to have a diet to back it up.

You're right AFK, it does work, but I was trying to impart the danger in thinking that "oh, if I run, I can eat whatever the hell I want."

I know, cause I thought that way for a while, and it doesn't help ;)

Sugarfoot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Running (as in jogging) will destroy your knees! I will occasionaly do sprints up hills if I'm not in the mood to hit the heavy bag or shadow box. Other than that, I refuse to run!

DJUofS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sugarfoot
Running (as in jogging) will destroy your knees! I will occasionaly do sprints up hills if I'm not in the mood to hit the heavy bag or shadow box. Other than that, I refuse to run!
Just like when lifting weights, if you use proper form while running, your knee's won't be destroyed.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by JBalfour4
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

What exactly does running do to your body?
It also strenghtens your lungs. Im an asthmatic and I havent had any problems for the past 3 years since I started running.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sugarfoot
sorry but if you thinking about boxing, youre getting nowhere if you dont run or jump rope which also may damage your knees if not done properly. wthout running or jumping rope you might get maybe through 3 or 4 rounds.