Question about gaining weight

waynejohn

Don Juan
Reaction score
cffrmw,

Sorry your thread got taken over by pointless bickering. Espi knows what he is talking about. I personally would listen to him.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Thanks for posting your training routine...I was more interested in your DIET...but since you took time to post, I'll respond...Imy replies in bold.
I agree with Espi, if I'm trying to gain mass, the last thing I want to be doing is circuits with light weights. That's better suited for fat people or those trying to shed some quick fat. ;)

Some form of progression in reps or weights is key no matter the routine be it bodybuilding, powerlifting.

As for CaptainJ. Those two guys don't compete in powerlifting/olympic lifting. For Stances chosen their depth is acceptable. Those squats to me are impressive as hell none-the-less. To say they're training improperly, risking injury, etc etc cause they didn't squat an inch or two deeper is well kind of funny hahaha. I've have read both their logs extensively, they've been training seriously for years upon years compared to you and me combined.

*big impressive guy squats huge weights just shy of parallel* *smaller, weaker guy walks up* "Yeah dude that's some good weight and all but you're like not hitting parallel, thus training improperly, I think you're kind inflating your ego too and dude you're so going to hurt yourself one day....." Sad thing is this **** really does happen :/

EDIT: Also Captain are you still a 160 lbs @ 6'2 ? :). What kind of progress have you made in the last year?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
I agree with Espi, if I'm trying to gain mass, the last thing I want to be doing is circuits with light weights. That's better suited for fat people or those trying to shed some quick fat. ;)

Some form of progression in reps or weights is key no matter the routine be it bodybuilding, powerlifting.

As for CaptainJ. Those two guys don't compete in powerlifting/olympic lifting. For Stances chosen their depth is acceptable. Those squats to me are impressive as hell none-the-less. To say they're training improperly, risking injury, etc etc cause they didn't squat an inch or two deeper is well kind of funny hahaha. I've have read both their logs extensively, they've been training seriously for years upon years compared to you and me combined.

*big impressive guy squats huge weights just shy of parallel* *smaller, weaker guy walks up* "Yeah dude that's some good weight and all but you're like not hitting parallel, thus training improperly, I think you're kind inflating your ego too and dude you're so going to hurt yourself one day....." Sad thing is this **** really does happen :/

EDIT: Also Captain are you still a 160 lbs @ 6'2 ? :). What kind of progress have you made in the last year?
6'2 196lbs

Squat - 105kg
Deadlift - 130
OHP - 50
Bench - 77.5
Power Clean - 72.5

Most of my progress has come in the past 2 months when i finally got access to a power rack (don't ask how i managed to squat before)

As for those guys, if they ain't competing, then i don't give a sh1t, but it's when someone is teaching people to not squat below parallel, then I have problems with that. Oh and those couple of inches make a huge difference, there's no concept of "The Hole" when you do a half squat.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
6'2 196lbs

Squat - 105kg
Deadlift - 130
OHP - 50
Bench - 77.5
Power Clean - 72.5

Most of my progress has come in the past 2 months when i finally got access to a power rack (don't ask how i managed to squat before)

As for those guys, if they ain't competing, then i don't give a sh1t, but it's when someone is teaching people to not squat below parallel, then I have problems with that. Oh and those couple of inches make a huge difference, there's no concept of "The Hole" when you do a half squat.
One trains more for aesthetics/size and the other more for performance cause of his job duties (counter-terrorism). Like I mentioned before they're using stances best suited for them and their goals.

Your numbers seem a bit weak for your size. I'd imagine some one at your size would have pretty much double those numbers.

EDIT: @ Kerpal, you ****in' kidding me? Those are indeed just shy of parallel you're a freakin' dweeb if you're that anal to not see that. Paul Anderson used to squat real heavy weights high and over time would gradually go deeper (he had some interesting methods), it's a great tool to gr get used to squatting heavier weights. So I guess he didn't know wtf he was doing and he's lucky he didn't mess up his knees right?

Olympic lifters have raised heels on their shoes thus helping them get deeper easily or a board under the heels works good too.

If some one just wants big legs and squats impressive weights for reps just shy of parallel. He's still going to grow some big ass legs and no he's not going "mess" up his knees. Bad form and bouncing around uncontrollably with weights strains the knees, not hitting super deep reps doesn't LOL, too funny

There was nothing wrong with their techniques, depth wasn't super deep but technique was there. One was a high bar narrow stance bodybuilding squat and the other a real wide lower bar powerlifting type squat. Both still impressive by all means. It's working for their goals.

EDIT#2
Here's a concrete study done on mean and peak activation in musculature used when squatting yes all these are SQUATS, half squats, parallel squats, full squats and quarter squats, doesn't matter. The discrepancies are not that BIG. The half squat actually yielded a bit more glute, quad and hamstring involvement than the full squat. As the full squat yielded slightly better performance. Like I mentioned before different stances and different depths apply to an individuals goals. To discredit as not a squat because of a slight depth issues well is just dumb. If you want bigger legs a narrow stance going to just parallel or shy of it it is suffice. IF you want increased performance for a sport a full squat will give you slightly better results.

The bottom line I think all depths have their purpose and one should utilize all if big legs is their goals. Some sports just train the top portion of a squat the half squat or quarter squat, cause most likely in their sport they rarely go into a full squat. e.g. volley ball players.

This was done via electrodes literally attached to all the muscles involved. The top number refers more to muscle tension placed and the second to peak contraction of mentioned muscle.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article_issue/issue_623#inside-the-muscles

Last edited:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Criticizing someone who points out improper technique by bringing up their numbers is a red herring, a logical fallacy that CarlitosWay makes often in his arguments on this board. The issue here isn't CaptainJ's numbers, it's whether the technique in the videos is correct or not, and it isn't. Therefore, how much CaptainJ can lift is irrelevant to the discussion.

In a squat, the top of the thigh at the hip drops below the top of the knee. This is easy to judge, anyone can do it after having the rule explained to them, even if they've never been in a gym before. You simply look at 2 points and see if one is lower than the other.

Those weren't squats, and they weren't "just shy of parallel", they were half squats. Doing half squats lets you use about twice as much weight as you can full squat, as you're skipping the hardest part of the movement. You're also pumping up your ego and ****ing your knees up. If you want to do half squats, fine, but don't call them squats. That's like me running 500 meters in a certain amount of time and calling it my 1,000 meter time.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
EDIT: @ Kerpal, you ****in' kidding me? Those are indeed just shy of parallel you're a freakin' dweeb if you're that anal to not see that.
Too anal to see what? The 585 x 1 was a bit deeper than the others, but none of those were even close to squats (top of thigh at hip joint below top of knee). Look again. Besides, "parallel" isn't a squat, so even if they were just shy of parallel, they're still not anywhere near a squat.

Paul Anderson used to squat real heavy weights high and over time would gradually go deeper (he had some interesting methods), it's a great tool to gr get used to squatting heavier weights. So I guess he didn't know wtf he was doing and he's lucky he didn't mess up his knees right?
Red herring. These guys aren't doing half squats with heavier weight to get used to doing squats with lighter weight, they're doing half squats with heavier weight because they can do more weight that way.

If they weren't calling them squats I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Olympic lifters have raised heels on their shoes thus helping them get deeper easily or a board under the heels works good too.
So you're saying all these guys have to do is put on a pair of weightlifting shoes and they'll be able to squat the weights they are doing half squats with now?

If some one just wants big legs and squats impressive weights for reps just shy of parallel. He's still going to grow some big ass legs and no he's not going "mess" up his knees. Bad form and bouncing around uncontrollably with weights strains the knees, not hitting super deep reps doesn't LOL, too funny
If you use your knees as brakes and overdevelop your quads with half squats you have an increased risk of knee problems.

There was nothing wrong with their techniques, depth wasn't super deep but technique was there. One was a high bar narrow stance bodybuilding squat and the other a real wide lower bar powerlifting type squat. Both still impressive by all means. It's working for their goals.
Depth is part of technique in a squat. Nobody's saying they have to touch their asses to the floor, but if the top of the thigh at the hip joint did not drop below the top of the knee, it wasn't a squat, period. Yes you can do more weight in a half squat than a squat, but it's like saying a runner in a 1,000 meter race who runs the first 500 meters really fast and just stops there ran a good 1,000 meter race. He didn't, he ran 500 meters, two completely different things.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
camdry90 said:
lol, you're criticizing the muscle and strength website with those numbers, GTFO!! that website is gold for anyone looking to build naturally and i'm insulted that u put it down...

and before you ask about my numbers:
6'4" 222lbs
squat: 290lbs(yes i go deep with my squats)
Deadlift: 425lbs
ohp: 150lbs
bench:255lbs

I agree with the guys form, but you are wrong when you say they are half squats, they are shy of parallel yes but they are still decent form.... i do deep squats because i feel like its true form as well but when you put down an entire website that offers all of the information you need to get big for free then I have a problem with you... especially when you're probably new at this... not to say i've been at it longer i've only gotten serious since january. i just don't like your attitude kid.
Kerpal said:
Criticizing someone who points out improper technique by bringing up their numbers is a red herring, a logical fallacy that CarlitosWay makes often in his arguments on this board. The issue here isn't CaptainJ's numbers, it's whether the technique in the videos is correct or not, and it isn't. Therefore, how much CaptainJ can lift is irrelevant to the discussion.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cffrmw said:
Don't want to bore you with my exact situation, so I'll make this short. I've been hitting the gym 2 to 5 times a week for the last year - I'm a student so sometimes I cut days when tests are coming up. I haven't been eating like I should so the weight gains haven't been coming like I would hope.

This summer, however, I want to gain weight. I have 100 days where I can focus on that, and then back to college. That's 14 weeks. How much is a healthy per week weight gain, so I know what to shoot for? I won't be in school so I can hit the gym 5 times a week, I usually go for about an hour and it's an intense workout.

I currently weight 165 (up 15 lbs from a year ago), and I'm 6'2 so yeah I'm still pretty skinny. I know a pound a week is fine, but is two pounds too much? If I could be 190 with most of it muscle at the end of the summer that would be awesome and put me at the exact weight I want to be.

Also, I assume following the simple starting diet in the "Where to Start" post should be fine?
You still around cffrmw? the fire should be gone now :)

Whats the situation with your training now? What is your estimated bodyfat, can you see abs? Post up your diet.