pull ups

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just got a pull up bar. would it be wise to do some everyday, even if i get the feeling of soreness?

and is there a certain speed i should go at?
my goals are fatloss (in case that helps with this question), mass, and strength.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're good to do, but it really won't matter all that much. If you're looking for mass, strength, and fat loss then goto the gym.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i know, i do. but i mean, just on an aside, because when i started i could only doa measly max of 6 pullups :\

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Google 'greasing the groove' or 'pavel's ladder'.

Nexxus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
pull up bar can be used for more than just pull ups and chin ups
a good exercise is the hanging leg raise, and a few improvision of the move, it's probably the best exercise for your abs (and hard as hell if you're not buff)

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Man...where do people get this information???

Ask IFBB professional bodybuilder Victor Martinez if he thinks pulls are a waste of time...he states that pullups formed the muscular foundation of his back...pullups add a lot of strength, too.

Fact is, most professional bodybuilders perform pullups. Not many people do them because they're extremely hard to do...

If you want a strong and muscular back, incorporate pullups.
Pullups are one of the best upper back exercises one can do. I was under the impression that all he was doing was pullups. I was simply stating that working with free weight is also a necessary part of building mass (obviously). I incorporate wide grip pullups on everytime I'm working out my back.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yes.. pullups tire you out like *that!*

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm just wondering about the frequency of doing pullups

i mean pushups- you can do em everyday

pullups are kinda taxing, especially wen you first start out (like me) and i get sore sometimes. should i keep doing pullups when i get sore (as in work out one day, sore next day, continue?) since lifting (your body) while sore can easily break down muscle

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would be willing to say that doing pushups and pull ups everyday would help you gain some size, but not as much as you would with a solid routine. Doing them EVERY DAY seems like it would just help you with the endurance factor.

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pull-ups are one of my favorite exercises. I would not perform them daily because they are too taxing.

I think pull-ups are one of the best overall exercises, behind squats and deadlifts

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
since I can do like 5 pull ups, what's the best way to improve? assisted pull ups?

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
howardalex said:
since I can do like 5 pull ups, what's the best way to improve? assisted pull ups?
5 pull-ups is good, IF they are full range of motion

negatives are good (get to the top position, then lower yourself)

pyramids (do 1 rep, then do 2, then do 3 until you fail. then go back down the pyramid)

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my opinion...pull ups are the MOST practical excercise. In the sense that it can even save your life. If you are stuck or in an accident or anything that might require for you to pick up yourself...and you can't...then you are in trouble. Because lifting 300 lbs bench press is not going to save you...if you cannot even pull your own weight.

Personally...I tend to work toward lifting MY weight + 45 lbs more (to account for clothes, back packs, etc.).

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
Espi said:
yes...that's the best way.

The gravitron machine works well, too. Your gym likely has one. Check into that if you don't have a partner to assist you.

Start with a palms-facing-you grip. When you can do 10, try switching to a palms-away grip.
cheers mate :)

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pull-ups and chin-ups are great :)

I outgrew my own body weight though, so I bought a dip belt.

its one of those things you wear, and u can attach weight plates to them to increase resistance with dips and chin-ups. my triceps are STILL sore from doing dips with it the other day

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whats this dip belt look like, and is it versatile, meaning you can use it for pullups / pushups? or even situps

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey if I was going to do 3 sets of pull ups to failure at the gym, but I can't even do ONE yet... whats a good exercise to start building those muscle groups with so I can start doing pull-ups? I was thinking pull-downs...

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score