pull up / chin ups, how effective

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Why do you consider it the girly way? At my gym I haven't seen one woman do a pullup and most of the guys either use underhand or a variation of overhand and underhand.

If you want a wide back you have to do them overhand (palms facing away).

For most people (people who don't train) this is much harder than underhand grip. It's weird because you are actually using a larger group of stronger muscles doing it overhand, so it seems it should be easier.

Doing it underhand isolates more of the bicep and takes alot of strain off the back. Trust me, as some one who at one point was doing 300 pull-ups per day, this will not build you like overhand grip will.

Even arnold considers wide grip pull-ups one of the best back builders there is.

Underhand is the girl way. Why? I don't know. It just is.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
/\i dont think its girly man, what if someones just tryna build their biceps?

but thanks for explainin

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am me said:
/\i dont think its girly man, what if someones just tryna build their biceps?

but thanks for explainin

Word. For the record, I train with every grip including nutreal, underhand, both on a towel, and one on a towel one on the bar (over and underhand).

It's good to hit a variety.

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always found it easier with an overhand grip, hmm.

Love pullups btw, wiiiiide grip.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason why I asked if it was "girly" was because I know that underhand pullups are a great way to workout my biceps. I do overhand, too, but I happen to prefer underhand pullups. And I'm not the only one who uses a varied pullup routine as I mentioned in an earleir post. I guess when it all comes down to it we have to use exercises that work best for us. :up: