PU at Work - retail

House Rent

Reaction score
Looking for a little help here. I'm a manager at a retail store with a high volume of customers, and so just by default there are a lot of hot women in every day. Don't worry, it's a trendy place and not Wal-Mart. Of course I do my best to help them find what they are looking for. There's no commission on sales, so I'm just there to be helpful, get asked my opinion a lot, etc.

I've been using it as a training ground to work on my body language, eye contact, and just general social skills. I've gotten much better at approaching people as a result. But still, I want to improve my game. A simple example is now, instead of asking "Can I help you find anything?" (usually the answer would be "No, just looking...") I wait until I see them looking around with that lost look in their eyes, and I ask them "What are you looking for?" Instead of a yes/no question, one that requires a specific answer and is MUCH more likely to get a response.

Anyway, like I said I've improved my skills but I find it hard to actually get any real action from women I meet at work. How do I move from a customer/employee interaction to a "pick-up" interaction? I'm not worried about losing my job or anything, but I don't want to wierd any female customers out. As it is, I've only picked up on women at work when they came back multiple times (and it was painfully obvious they were interested) or I've seen them again outside of my job and went into PU mode then.

Often I can get them laughing, flirt lightly with them, but then they buy something and leave the store or I'm called off to help somebody else. I need:

-tips on how to prolong the interaction
-tips on how to go for the number/email

I find at work I'm limited by my desire not to appear "sleazy", which outside of work I'm not bothered by.

Any help, guys?

Damian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I personally don't condone pickups in retail work. It's just not very...socially acceptable for a clerk to try to hit on a customer, but whatever.

It's important that you always keep a light mood to ease tension. I'm sure that you already know this, but keep a smile and train yourself chuckle. Next up, ask open-ended questions. In any case, you should be able to start to get to know them right on the spot. Ask them what they're going to need a certain piece of merchandise for. Something along the lines of that. After that, you keep following that conversational thread and then start using attraction tactics with conversation routines.

I find that most customers would think it's just a kind of "nice salesman" gimmick to sell stuff, so there's already an attraction obstacle. Kino is also a big issue when it comes to retail pickups. I know several ways around it, but it involves just being creative with your environment. Good luck.

-Damian

J.R.G.G

Don Juan
Reaction score
i do condone PU attempts at a store, and more in your situation. I have a friend that is in a similar situation as yours and he gets tons of numbers, from 18 year olds to hot 40 y/o milfs who are costumers at the small store. Of what he tells me its very easy due that 70% of costumers are female.

Theres no secrets, his methods are very simple. Being nice, approaching with a smile and with intentions to help a little more, flirtious, respectful (it shows class). Also work in your appearance, make sure that even though youre wearing a store uniform you look better than your coworkers.

Another thing i would recomend is to be nice with everybody, it gives you a good vive and HBs around can notice that. But most important in my opinion is to be classy.

House Rent

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, appreciate the help. Damian, you are right about it not appearing "socially acceptable" - this seems to be a big stumbling block both for me and for any women I talk to. There have been times where I definitely felt a good vibe/chemistry with a customer, but didn't have any way to escalate the interaction and we both just stand there for a second awkwardly at the point when it should be escalating. Had I not been at work I would have totally gone for it.

It's hard to create attraction, as well, since by the very nature of retail work you are kind of supplicating, sucking up to the customer. Ok to be funny, being ****y can just piss people off. I try to get around that by taking a "this is really cool, let me show you" kind of attitude, where I'm the one with the knowledge and I'm leading.

I can get their names, tell them to come back again and ask for me, etc. but it's hard to close and get a number or an email. I just saw "40 Year Old Virgin" and the scene where the MILF picks HIM up - that has totally never happened to me.

But there's just so many babes coming through here, I feel like if my game was better I could totally tap into the available resources. I work with a bunch of AFC's and it's funny to watch their failed attempts to help these women, as well...

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by House Rent
As it is, I've only picked up on women at work when they came back multiple times (and it was painfully obvious they were interested) or I've seen them again outside of my job and went into PU mode then.
Those are basically the guidelines I use when picking up women at work. You have to keep it professional for the most part, as your career comes first.

Just be flirty at work and when you see them outside of work you should be able to tell if they're into you by their reactions. I got a ******* from a customer of mine this new years because she thought I was hot when she saw me at my store.

Don't ever ask for a customer's phone number while you are at work... it's not worth it, even if you end up having sex with her.

BTW, where do you work House Rent?