Prenuptial/Divorce Law Question

RickTheToad

Reaction score
2 years is nothing. Try that after 10+ years

The longer the marriage, the less the prenups effectiveness is.

My ex was an attorney herself. Our marriage was 14 years. She got a $650K house plus I had to write her a check for nearly 7 figures.

My attorney's bill was $140k. If we went to trial he said it would be at least $100K more.

Crazy thing is I was dating this younger Venezuelan women and before it all went down in a ball of flames I actually started thinking maybe she was something.
You should of had a "gambling problem" and a "drug problem". The court may have looked on you a bit differently. Sorry dude.

Free_Agent

Don Juan
Reaction score
You should of had a "gambling problem" and a "drug problem". The court may have looked on you a bit differently. Sorry dude.
Wouldn’t have worked. That is dissipation of marital assets. The judge would’ve just taken more from me . I had a firm of forensic accountants going through 14years of my businesses and personal spending and traveling .

Drug problem…lose my kids .

The money. Took me 4 years to recover and doing better than ever

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A waiver of alimony is standard in a pre-nup these days. At least it is in New York. I know plenty of wealthy people, male and female, which have a waiver of alimony. Yes, one has to give something up to obtain it, so that is why a life insurance policy is a good bargaining chip. However, I stand by my original statement, you have to be nuts to get married these days. N-U-T-S.
But a lot of men get married so that they can empty their nuts on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would agree to that on some points. This is why you are supposed to revisit and update the pre-nup every 5 years to ensure it's relevant. I believe some states still have lifetime alimony on the books.. New Jersey comes to mind....
I remember a TV show "The Odd Couple" (derived from the movie of the same name), which was about 2 40-ish divorced men sharing an apartment in Manhattan (the oddness was that one was a slob while the other was fastidious), and there was an episode where they met an old odd couple (basically them in 30 years or so), and one of the old guys was talking about how he had been paying alimony for 45 years. :eek::eek:

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mine survived in New York. Yes, I did have a good, but expensive lawyer; James Sexton.
James Sexton mentioned $2,000 in one of his interviews (which are excellent, BTW). Was he expensive because of time spent in court, defending the prenup?

The most common failure is not having a prenup at all, followed by getting cheap and making one without any lawyers. In court, the other person claims they didn't have legal counsel, and the prenup gets invalidated. Both people need their own lawyer when they review a prenup. There's a few other gotchas easily solved by a professionally written prenup.

I liked Rollo Tomassi's (The Rational Male) interview of James Sexton:

RickTheToad

Reaction score
James Sexton mentioned $2,000 in one of his interviews (which are excellent, BTW). Was he expensive because of time spent in court, defending the prenup?

The most common failure is not having a prenup at all, followed by getting cheap and making one without any lawyers. In court, the other person claims they didn't have legal counsel, and the prenup gets invalidated. Both people need their own lawyer when they review a prenup. There's a few other gotchas easily solved by a professionally written prenup.

I liked Rollo Tomassi's (The Rational Male) interview of James Sexton:
When I hired him, over a decade ago, he was $425 an hour. I had a pre-nup and trust, so I didn't loose anything aside from my legal fees (24k), covering her medical insurance (required by NY law), and the wedding gifts (cash + furniture). It was pretty bad, so I also had police there as she was moving her crap out for another 2k for security. And yes, she not only tried to start things with me, but with the police as well.

Her attorney, just kept on filing BS motions which were all denied. In the end, I contacted the court and said I will be releasing all docs on my case (my side) to NY Post to show how fvcked up the system is. It was over a year and a half until we got to that point. Miraculously, the relief was granted about a week later.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I remember a TV show "The Odd Couple" (derived from the movie of the same name), which was about 2 40-ish divorced men sharing an apartment in Manhattan (the oddness was that one was a slob while the other was fastidious), and there was an episode where they met an old odd couple (basically them in 30 years or so), and one of the old guys was talking about how he had been paying alimony for 45 years. :eek::eek:
My neighbor, a retired NYPD detective was remarried 20 years ago. He has lifetime alimony for his first wife.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
But a lot of men get married so that they can empty their nuts on a regular basis. :rolleyes:
Just because you are legally married, doesn't mean she will still fvck you. While it is a option to file for divorce due to her (or him) withholding intimacy, you still have to go through the dismantling process.

Have no issues with wedding parties or religious weddings, but one must be crazy to file the paperwork. Zero benefit to the dude.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Wouldn’t have worked. That is dissipation of marital assets. The judge would’ve just taken more from me . I had a firm of forensic accountants going through 14years of my businesses and personal spending and traveling .

Drug problem…lose my kids .

The money. Took me 4 years to recover and doing better than ever
Worked for my younger brother.